Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spaying and dog being in heat

Beautygirl
September 7th, 2004, 08:05 AM
My dog is 1 year old and we adopted her just a couple of weeks ago. She had a litter of puppies before we adopted her (probably around 3 months ago). When will she go in heat again? Is it around 6 months from the last time or 6 months from when she had the puppies? We have an appointment to have her spayed on the 20th and I'm wondering if she isn't going into heat now. Will they still be able to do the spaying if she's in heat? My friend had her dog done and they said that it was a hard surgery because she was in heat just prior to being done? How can I tell if she's in heat? I know that she will be spotting, is that the 1st week? I've noticed some spots around. YIKES! Looks like my puppy is going to be confined for the next 3 weeks.

Iggette
September 7th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Yes if she is in heat keep her under lock and key....lol....except for leashed walks of course.

I don't know about dogs but I know they will do cats when they are in heat just costs an extra few dollars.....why I don't know :confused:

Princesss04
September 7th, 2004, 09:47 AM
I could be wrong but when they are in heat don't they have to give them a blood transfusion? I thought that was what someone told me.

Lucky Rescue
September 7th, 2004, 09:53 AM
I *think* it's because the uterus is so engorged with blood and fragile that it makes the surgery difficult.

Beautygirl
September 17th, 2004, 01:40 PM
I called the vet's office and they reccommended that we wait until 4 weeks after her cycle. They said that the surgery is more difficult when she's in heat and will take longer. She will finish her cycle anyways, so it's better just to wait.