Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

This blows my mind...

Purpledomino
May 24th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Just a rant. Last week my son called me at home while he was walking to the nearest convenience store for a slush on his lunch hour. He and his friend noticed a small dog locked in the cab of a truck, with the windows rolled up, in the sun. It was at least 30C, the hottest day by far in a long time, the dog was panting and looked distressed. (big surprise)

He was worried (of course!) about this dog and he flagged down a passing police officer to report it. The officer was off duty, and told my son and his friend that he would get a Peace Officer to come by right away. I advised my son to stay close by the dog, and possibly ask around some businesses where it was parked if the owner was around.

I was very concerned and waiting for his call back, and when I called him he said he couldn't find the owner yet, and he wanted to smash in the window of the truck. I told him I was going to call the detachment myself since no officer had arrived yet, and we felt this dog was in danger. I called, basically telling the receptionist at the detachment that if an officer wasn't sent immediately, I was going to ask my son to smash the window to rescue this dog.

I suppose this worked, because when I called my son again he said the Peace Officer had just arrived in time to break up a heated argument between my 17 yr old son, and the middle aged owners of the dog that he had just found in a restaurant. Apparantly these people beleived their dog was fine in the truck, and thought my son was just creating trouble. They actually were happy to see the Peace Officer at first, thinking that he had arrived to take away my son! :eek:

The Peace Officer removed the dog from the truck, and placed the poor thing in his air conditioned vehicle while the owners argued with him that they did nothing wrong. They claimed that the dog was raised in a desert (omg) and was used to heat....and they said it had water in the truck, which none was found by the Peace Officer. The owners were quite beligerent (sp?) the whole time, yelling and hassling everyone that was initially trying to help their dog, still not understanding the danger they put their dog in.

Long story short.....dog gets seized (yay!) Not sure what happens with the owners, I know they spent some time at the detachment because I saw their truck there....arguing their case no doubt. They were travelling to Alberta here from Ontario (Ontario plates). Hopefully this ruined their holiday of sorts, but luckily their dog survived I estimate about an hour in a hot truck, by the time he was removed. Tough little fellow...maybe they were right, and he WAS raised in the desert.........................(sarcasm) :wall:

Chaser
May 24th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Oh no...I'm glad the dog is safe.

And I just have to say that it is such a relief to hear that your son cared so much about this. Not every 17 y.o. guy would be so sensitive to the plight of an animal! :thumbs up

luckypenny
May 24th, 2010, 09:30 PM
You must be so very proud of your son. Good on him for noticing the dog and not walking away from the situation. Hope the outcome is favorable for the dog :fingerscr.

Tundra_Queen
May 24th, 2010, 09:30 PM
The poor dog! I'm so glad your son rescued him!!! :thumbs up

Purpledomino
May 24th, 2010, 09:53 PM
You must be so very proud of your son. Good on him for noticing the dog and not walking away from the situation. Hope the outcome is favorable for the dog :fingerscr.

As impressed with my son as everybody has been...no real surprise to me though. I cannot comprehend anyone leaving an animal in distress, ever...and even teenaged boys will have compassion for animals when raised to be responsible for their care.

It's the children I see that pluck the wings off bugs that really scare me. :(

14+kitties
May 24th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Thank you for raising such a responsible child. :thumbs up Great job!!

hazelrunpack
May 25th, 2010, 01:47 PM
You've got a great son there, Purpledomino!!

The thing I find disturbing about cases like this is how the owners always get huffy and claim their dog is fine...even arguing with the police about it when the dog is obviously in distress! :wall:

We were stoppped once on our way home from MN by a driver that was worried about our dogs in the back of the truck. Far from being offended by it, we were happy he cared enough to check--and we willingly gave him the particulars on how we get the air conditioning back to the dogs. :D He was a very astute guy--we'd had them running a bit right before we put them back in the vehicle and they were all still panting. He spotted that through smoked windows on the cap of the truck and risked road rage by flagging us down.

By the time we were done talking to him, the dogs had all cooled down enough to stop panting so heavily, so the other driver was relieved and left a happy man. And I'm so happy there's a guy like that out there, with the moral fortitude to stand up for pets in a bad situation! :thumbs up

Frenchy
May 25th, 2010, 02:19 PM
And I'm so happy there's a guy like that out there, with the moral fortitude to stand up for pets in a bad situation! :thumbs up

You bet ! Not enough people like him :(

Purpledomino , you must be so proud of your son ! Kuddos to him , for speaking out :thumbs up

Purpledomino
May 25th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I just don't get people. I still don't understand why the owners were so enraged, when everyone was just looking out for THEIR dog. :confused: I also cannot wrap my head around the fact that the owners denied this was dangerous for the dog....are they on crack?

Hazel, that is a great story... you reacted appropriately and bravo to the guy for checking! I wish there were more people out there like that.

Love4himies
May 25th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Give your son a big hug for me :grouphug:.

I don't get it either :shrug:, it is constantly on the news not to leave your pets in a hot car, so it is just plain lack of empathy for their pet :yell: :frustrated:. I hope they get charged. :pray:

Bluedrake
June 9th, 2010, 05:22 AM
yay! Another dog saved!:highfive:
Boo, more stupid people.:wall: Congratulations on raising such a fine boy!

chico2
June 9th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Give this young man a big :grouphug:from us,so many would just walk by with a"poor dog"comment,so glad the pup was ok:
Hopefully these people learned from this experience:fingerscr

mastifflover
June 9th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Thank you for raising such a responsible child. :thumbs up Great job!!

Well done you should be proud of having such a compassionate and caring son. Thanks for saving the dog

Goldfields
June 9th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I just don't get people. I still don't understand why the owners were so enraged, when everyone was just looking out for THEIR dog. :confused: I also cannot wrap my head around the fact that the owners denied this was dangerous for the dog....are they on crack?

It happens everywhere. My husband said someone left their dog in a car one fairly warm day here and a number of passers by were very concerned. HE was the one that waited and went right off at the owner though, and he can look pretty formidable when he's angry. :evil: Same thing though, the owner was in denial about it hurting the dog.

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Many of the sites I get newsletters from have started sending warnings about leaving your pet inside a vehicle on hot days. I think the officer should have put them inside their own truck for 10 minutes, see how they liked it.

People are idiots. I don't think you should put your pet in an environment you yourself would not be comfortable in.

BrownEyedGirl
June 9th, 2010, 12:42 PM
:thumbs up Kudos to your son.

:wall: Idiots, enough said