Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mini-update on kids/dog next door..sigh

Etown_Chick
May 23rd, 2010, 06:00 PM
Ok the kids next door adpoted a gorgeous dog from the Humane Society - without a properly fenced yard or permission from the owner of the home. They planned to keep it as an outdoor dog. THey have no doghouse and they just kept it on a leash all the time.
Well my buddy called the humane society, just to let them know how the dog was being cared for. They actually sent out an officer to check on the dog and do an 'educational' visit with these two.
The kids told me that they don't have a doghouse because they can't afford it. It's obvious to me that they can't afford the dog..not sure why they got it.
I suggested they could build a doghouse if they are good with tools. THey are considering it.
I also let them know point blank that the dog cannot stay outside all the time without shelter.
The good news is they've kept her inside over the last few days, as it's been cold and rainy here. They also do care about the dog and are open to learning what she needs.
So at least it's a positive update. I will keep an eye on the dog and hopefully help these two become good dog owners.
Thanks for your support, all! Oh and I'll try to sneak a photo of Princess when the weather gets better!

luckypenny
May 23rd, 2010, 09:17 PM
I'm glad Princess has such a caring neighbor :grouphug:. Hopefully the kids will learn how to take care of her responsibly :fingerscr.

Tundra_Queen
May 24th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I'm surprised the Humane Society allows people to adopt dogs that are going to be outside dogs. Our rescue doesn't allow that.

I hope they make the dog an inside dog,,,it's so sad not letting the dog be inside and part of the family. :(

Frenchy
May 24th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I'm surprised the Humane Society allows people to adopt dogs that are going to be outside dogs.

I also can't understand this. The humane societies here don't allow it either. Of course , people can write what they want on the adoption application and once the dog is home .... :frustrated:

Etown_Chick
May 25th, 2010, 12:49 AM
The humane society doesn't allow people to adopt animals to be outside pets. Nor do they allow renters to adopt without a letter from the landlord. People aren't always as truthful as they should be.
The kids do seem open though. Heck I've even got them reading dog food labels and understanding that meat is good and corn is bad!
They've been mostly keeping her inside, and walking her a lot, so they seem willing to learn! :fingerscr