Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello from Baltimore

PeaceGirl
May 23rd, 2010, 02:43 PM
We adopted and saved a beagle last year from the pound. He is the best behaved dog we have ever had and is trained well except he will not play and has really never been socialized from what we can tell from taking him to a friends house that also had dogs. She had a beagle mix and a mixed dog.

We are reading all kids of articles and watching tv shows and trying to learn how to teach him to play and to socialize him without doing any harm to himself or other dogs.

I hope I can learn alot here and that I can also help others with things that I have learned threw this process.

:dog: :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
May 23rd, 2010, 08:58 PM
Welcome to the board, PeaceGirl! And thank you for adopting a pound dog!

Our Macie spent her first year in a barn and when we got her, she didn't have a clue about playing, either. I'm afraid I can't give you any pointers on how to teach her how to play, though, because it was our other dogs that took on that task. :o

I don't suppose you have any pictures of your addition to share with us? :fingerscr :D

MyBirdIsEvil
May 26th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Some dogs, when not socialized from a young age just seem to have no desire to play with other dogs.

Roscoe (minpin) was like that. Was not aggressive to other dogs or scared of other dogs, just had no desire to join in their play, even though he'd play tug of war and stuff with people.

I did try to get him involved with the other dogs, by playing with him with toys and trying to hand the toys to the other dogs and stuff, but as soon as the toy was out of my hand he wasn't interested.

I don't think you should be too worried about the lack of play unless he has other issues such as fear or aggression toward other dogs. The other dogs are just probably something he's not interested in.
Eventually when he sees them playing he may or may not join it, but I don't think it's a huge deal, since it's just not something he's interested in. Most likely he doesn't feel like he's missing out because he doesn't know there's anything to miss out on. :shrug:
You can give him mental stimulation by playing with him yourself, so that shouldn't be a worry.

Frenchy
May 26th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I'm afraid I can't give you any pointers on how to teach her how to play, though, because it was our other dogs that took on that task. :o

same here , I have dogs that didn't get a good start on life , never knew how to play. But with the help of my other dogs , they all figured it out.

with time and doggie play dates , maybe yours will learn too !

and welcome to pets.ca !

2sheltiesmom
May 27th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Welcome to the "pack". Good for you, I'm so glad you saved your furry friend! I rescued my Border Collie cross from euthanasia in Jan. and have been going through some challenges with her too. She is a senior and was VERY sick but is doing well now. Some of her health problems are chronic; but she gets all the love and care we can give her. My two Shelties have helped her tremendously with socializing. We are celebrating 4 months with her on the 29th and she is still "work in progress", so hang in there, and this is a GREAT place for help and support.