Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I couldn't help it....something had to be said...

krdahmer
May 22nd, 2010, 11:43 PM
I have one of my second cousins on my facebook, she lives out in the boonies, young, dumb, a kid already, etc etc. So I got tired of all of her whiny facebook status updates about her cats...this ones in heat, this one ran away, someone needs to come take this one away.
Example:
”is ready to play ding dong F$$$KING DITCH with this stupid cat. someone better speak now or forever hold your peace if you want Dipsy.”:loser:

“no, the other one we have. doodle we kind of dont care if shes in and out anymore. dipsy has to go though”

“yesterday i woke up 7 am to a cat attacking both from outside because dipsy is in heat. like major caterwhauling. not impressed. i've come to disdain my kitties”

So today I let her have it, and so far all she could respond with was a 'pardon me?'.... may have gone too far....was a little harsh, but I mean I had just had it, ya know....I put it on her wall first, then thought better of it and sent it as a message.

I second what Valerie said.... it's not her fault she's in heat just like it's not your fault you get your period, and if she is in heat she certainly shouldn't be allowed out! That is just completely irresponsible of you. If you can't care for them or don't care to, find a good rescue (I can help if you need) or a no kill shelter and let them find a better home. Cats are not disposable....taking them into your home is a lifetime commitment, is most cases close to 20 years. Don't take that lightly. They require as much love, attention and responsibility as a child, one that never strikes out on their own. There are hundreds of thousands of them needlessly killed every year because of irresponsible people like you who don't spay and neuter. You're young and you have an excuse for now, but it's time you were told the harsh reality when it comes to pets.... I really hope you know how harsh and mean and low class these status updates make you sound to those of us who actually care about our pets. :shrug:

TeriM
May 22nd, 2010, 11:47 PM
Sounds to me like she needed a good slap and cheers to you for giving it to her :D. I think perhaps this is information she really did need to here but perhaps consider following it up with some information of why to spay/neuter and possibly some low cost options for her if they are needed.

14+kitties
May 23rd, 2010, 11:25 AM
You causing trouble with your family again kr? :rolleyes: :p
I would have said something too. I don't blame you one little bit. Why do they have cats if they don't want to look after them properly? :wall::wall::wall:
:grouphug: It will be fine I'm sure. But then again you may end up with a few more kitties to find homes for. :D

Frenchy
May 23rd, 2010, 11:31 AM
Good for you to speak up ! And I didn't find it rude , IMO , it's straight to the point :thumbs up

I did the same with a cousin of mine ... on FB too. We were writing to each other when Nelly was at the emergency. When I mentioned to her that Nelly might need an MRI to found out what she had , if the condition came back , she replied to me :

"I love my dog but she's old , so next time she gets sick , we'll put her down. I love her but love my wallet more."

me = :wall: well cousin , your dog is YOUR responsability , if you don't want to spend money on her , then YOU shouldn't own a dog.

I really don't care if she's family or not. :frustrated:

14+kitties
May 23rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
I did the same with a cousin of mine ... on FB too. We were writing to each other when Nelly was at the emergency. When I mentioned to her that Nelly might need an MRI to found out what she had , if the condition came back , she replied to me :

"I love my dog but she's old , so next time she gets sick , we'll put her down. I love her but love my wallet more."

me = :wall: well cousin , your dog is YOUR responsability , if you don't want to spend money on her , then YOU shouldn't own a dog.

I really don't care if she's family or not. :frustrated:

I hear that all the time at work. Oh, I feed stray cats too. When I ask if they get them fixed as well to help with the overpopulation it's no, I can't afford that. Then I tell them about the places they can go to get the cats done for $50 and I hear "I would rather spend that kind of money on a new dress or something for my kids." So I guess it just doesn't connect with them that they keep feeding the strays, the strays bring back their two or three litters a year, those litters have babies, and so on, and so on, and so on. How many do they think they will be feeding in another year or so? :wall: FIX YOUR CATS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AngelaM
May 23rd, 2010, 05:06 PM
She totally had it coming. If you don't want a pet, don't get a pet, it's that simple. I wouldn't feel too bad since MAYBE she'll think about what you said!:thumbs up

chico2
May 23rd, 2010, 05:15 PM
Dahmer,way to go girl:thumbs up
I think you were very diplomatic,I might not have been,family or not.
I get soooo angry with people who treat cats like disposable items,one is gone,get another,just like my neighbor:evil:.

Etown_Chick
May 23rd, 2010, 05:47 PM
If you hadn't said anything, she would have continued that behavior for years. She may still, but she can't use ignorance as an excuse any more because she's been called on it.

hazelrunpack
May 23rd, 2010, 10:26 PM
I thought you were pretty kind, considering... :frustrated: She complains about things that are totally preventable!!! :wall: All she needs is to take on her responsibility toward her kitties...

krdahmer
May 23rd, 2010, 11:50 PM
ya well it'll make for an akward christmas party this year....but I don't care, everyone around her obviously coddles her on the subject because they're views aren't much different, so I just couldn't hold back any longer. thanks for the support guys it means a lot! :grouphug::goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
May 23rd, 2010, 11:58 PM
Ach! Christmas is 7 months away. Likely by then, they'll all have forgotten :rolleyes: Christmas parties are overrated most of the time, anyway. :p

Purpledomino
May 24th, 2010, 10:42 PM
You did the right thing. I couldn't have possibly held my tongue in your situation either, relative or not. Sometimes we just have to do what feels right....and you did. Good for you! :thumbs up