Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Interersting walk last night

Dog Dancer
May 17th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Took the grrrls out for their walk last night and went a different way than normal. As we walked past one driveway (we were on the road) Halo spotted a cat up behind a car. She did her fool head barking thing. Shadow never said a word. We kept walking, me dragging Halo along. Well damn if that cat didn't come out after us. The owner was outside with it by the way. The cat came out on the road and hissed at us, then backed up. Because the dogs didn't jump at him I guess he got very brave and attacked us!! :eek: He got right up in the dogs faces, between the two of them. Like four times he charged and attacked then retreated as I'm dragging the dogs away. A man who was walking down the road on the other side came over to help chase the cat off, and at that point I was worried about the dogs because the cat was all over them. They made no effort to bite the cat which surprised me and not given that they lived with a kitty when they were younger. The owner finally came over with her rake and chased the cat back home, saying "get off the road" not "sorry my cat attacked your dogs". The guy says that's one brave cat, and I'm like no that's one stupid cat!! The dogs could easily have snapped its neck, but they're my good babies. It was an interesting walk alright!

Frenchy
May 17th, 2010, 12:48 PM
:eek: that's one lucky cat alright !! :eek:

Dog Dancer
May 17th, 2010, 01:14 PM
It occurs to me that if this scenario had played out the other way, that the cat was walking down the road and my dogs attacked the cat, it would have had a very different ending and no doubt my dogs would be labeled vicious, etc. I think I may have to call the pound and report a vicious cat that needs to be muzzled!! Kidding... :laughing:

Frenchy
May 17th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I think I may have to call the pound and report a vicious cat that needs to be muzzled!! Kidding... :laughing:

:laughing:

but seriously , this cat might not get that lucky next time , with some other dog :eek: stupid owner :wall:

Dog Dancer
May 17th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I agree, I was surprised that neither of them tried to take a bite out of the wee beast. Like I said it's been years now but they grew up with a cat in the house so that may have helped. I suspect if the dogs had been off leash they would have chased that cat a country mile and in full chase may well have attacked it. Yes that cat was lucky because another dog (or especially two together who can have a pack mentality) may well have taken it to pieces. To tell the truth my knees were kinda shaking the rest of the way home - but neither of the dogs seemed to have been injured so it was okay. The owner was dumbfounded and just stood there and watched while the cat attacked us, if it had come towards me rather than the dogs it would have gotten a boot in the butt (not enough to hurt it, but enough to hopefully scare it away).

Melinda
May 17th, 2010, 02:08 PM
good lord, you sure it was a cat and not a cougar? *LOL* brave brave stupid cat, and what was up with the owner not coming to get it???

14+kitties
May 17th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Some kitties just don't like dogs. I have Deuce because he couldn't get along with the puppers at Frenchys. He doesn't seem to be too bothered with Sammy but she is on the other side of the fence. Jupiter wouldn't back down from a dog. I most likely have a few others that wouldn't either. But the kitty is very fortunate you had such good control of your dogs. :thumbs up

Dog Dancer
May 17th, 2010, 04:55 PM
This kitty didn't just not back down, he chased us down the road!! :evil: His little hide wasn't saved because I had good control of the dogs, but because the dogs simply didn't want to hurt him. He was literally smacking their faces - both of them. I was worried that he would hurt them by scratching their eyes or something, and of course I was worried they might bite him, although that would not have been my liability but I still would have felt badly. But sweet girls that they are they just took it like a couple of wimps... Does this mean my dogs are pussy whipped??? Actually now that I think of it a friends cat attacked Shadow a few times when we stayed at their house once and she backed down from their cat too. She totally didn't want to fight with the cats.

14+kitties
May 17th, 2010, 05:05 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing: Pussy whipped! Silly!!! But true. :o
Maybe this cat has been beaten up badly by a dog in it's lifetime and refuses to go through it again. :shrug:

Tundra_Queen
May 17th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Poor dogs! I would of given the owner a few comments,,,she should of come out after the cat sooner.

hazelrunpack
May 17th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I'm glad the girls weren't hurt, DD!! :grouphug: Kitty needs some etiquette lessons, I think, before some less tolerant doggies come by...or his Mommy needs to wisen up and learn to keep him indoors!