Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Integrating a New Puppy

serenamlambe
May 17th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Hello everyone:

Again, looking for some advice!

In a couple of weeks, my boyfriend and I are adding a new puppy to our family. We already have a small, 2 1/2 year old mixed-breed dog.

I'm curious about feeding. Our dog, Connor, has always been a free feeder. Currently, he's on Taste of the Wild... but the vet recommends we change him to a joint diet. Still debating that one.

Anyways, we are now wondering about our new puppy. Is it best to put her on the same food and let her free feed? (TOTW is for all life stages, as far as I can tell!) Or should I give them meals seperately?

Any tips for integrating a new puppy would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Serena

MyBirdIsEvil
May 17th, 2010, 04:57 PM
It really depends on you and the dogs.

Some dogs will not tolerate eating from the same bowl, which could lead to fights, and some dogs can't be trusted not to overeat.

One of the advantages to feeding set meals is that it can be a training session for the puppy. You can have them sit before their bowl is put down, and eventually learn to stay until they're given permission to eat. You also know their elimination schedule since they won't be nibbling all day and needing to poop at random times. It also gives you an opportunity to set a routine for your puppy, and puppies settle in more easily when they have a routine.

But I've done it both ways, so it really depends. One way is not necessarily better for every person.