Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mini rant

MyBirdIsEvil
May 15th, 2010, 10:17 PM
So me and my husband were at the store earlier buying dog food. There was a really confused looking couple browsing the dog toys. I guess my husband overheard them talking about their dog chewing and asked them about it (I wasn't paying attention; was looking at the dog food). The woman asks if he's ever had a big dog that liked to chew on stuff. He's like "Yeah we have about big dog that loves to chew."

Well she gets into how she has this HUGE dog was chewing up furniture (we're thinking St. Bernard size or something because of her emphasis on huge :shrug:). And asks if that's normal. So my husband asks how old the dog is, and she says 9 months. So we're like, yeah that's completely normal, and he points her toward the kong toys and tells her how to fill them with treats and stuff. And I mention how I usually give mine the big thick raw hides that she can't chew pieces off of and they occupy her and keep her from chewing on stuff she shouldn't. (I know some people don't care for rawhides, but I've never had a problem with the really thick ones, so I use 'em...anyway...)
Then this woman starts complaining because she can't give bones (dunno what kinda bones she even meant) because the dog buries them all over her yard. And I'm like "Well, you can't really prevent that unless you don't let her outside unsupervised..."
She gets this look of horror on her face and goes "Oh no we can't do that, she has to be outside.":mad:
What's worse, we ask how big this 9 month old dog is and she says "50 lbs."
So we're talking a HUGE 50 lb puppy here apparently :frustrated: (I have a 90 lb 10 month old puppy that's still growing, guess how sympathetic I acted...)
Not only that but it's a lab and golden retriever mix (yup, great dog to get if you want a puppy that won't dig and doesn't want to chew on and play with stuff constantly :yell:)

I don't even mention crate training or anything because this woman is obviously set on keeping the dog outdoors. So we're just like "Yeah, get a kong and stuff it for the dog to occupy itself with."
What else am I supposed to say in a short encounter with some stranger at the store? Their dog is gonna get bored with a kong quick and keep digging in the yard and chewing, etc., because it's just an outdoor dog :shrug:. Apparently the dog is supposed to teach ITSELF not to do that.
I'm quite willing to give advice if people actually want it, but this woman sounded like she had already decided to throw the dog outside and not deal with it. Plus I was in a huge rush and didn't even have time to deal with that kind of ignorance today.

So my question is, why the hell does someone even get a dog, a PUPPY nonetheless if they don't want to deal with chewing and digging, just to throw it outside and bitch about it digging in the yard when no one is there to supervise it? UGH. I've never seen a puppy that doesn't want to chew on SOMETHING, especially when it's not being stimulated or given things to do all day. I mean, the dog is by itself with a few toys, apparently it's just supposed to sit around the yard all day alone and be a cute little well behaved angel.

Dee-O-Gee
May 15th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I hear you on your rant MBIE.

Nothing more frustrating that people who want to have a pet but, leave the poor thing on it's own outside and expect it to be behave. :frustrated:

As a Golden owner, the "chewing on" factor haulted within the first year of up bringing but the play with stuff and human interaction was constant throughout our girls 14 years. :angel:

Wouldn't surprise me if this lady also had the poor little guy outside on a chain too! :mad:

MyBirdIsEvil
May 15th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I'm sure it's not a chain now because it was digging up her yard. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up there though :(.

Sylvie
May 16th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Unbelievable and these people are all over :wall::wall:

joeysmama
May 16th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Well aren't you supposed to choose a dog just because they're cute and furry and frisky puppies? Is there anything else to think about? :wall:

I had a "friend" who kept her dog in a pen at the far end of the yard. (You know once she got past the cute puppy stage and the kids got bored with her.) Then she complained tht when she DID let her in the house the dog would run around like crazy. Well duh...the poor thing was so excited to be in with the family she was shoing her happiness and this woman said "You would think that she would think 'I get to be in this nice house I better behave myself'" Yes because that's exactly how every dog reasons things out in their mind. Morons !!:yell:

Etown_Chick
May 16th, 2010, 02:00 PM
MBIE
HEre I came to this forum to bitch about my new neighbors for the exact same reason..nice people but dumb as bricks!
She's 8 months pregnant. They just moved into this rented house with an unfenced yard and guess what they did? Went to the humane soceity and brought home an 8 month old BIG dog..ok it's bigger than Scruffy...probably a lab/mastiff cross.
So they are keeping it chained outside to a tree and told me that in a few days they'll start leaving it outside at night. No doghouse. No shelter of any kind except a few shrubs to provide shade (not that it needs shade at night).
I haven't seen any toys, nor an outdoor water dish, although they may have them.
THis is going to be a high energy, high maintenance dog. It's going to need a LOT of exercise and training... he works long hours and she is about to pop.
OMG
Plus they had to have lied to get the dog,as the Humane Soceity won't adopt out a dog to renters without a letter of permission from the owner. THey told me the owner doesn't even know about the dog yet...AGGGHHH!
Sorry to steal your thread, but its' very related and other than ratting on them to the Humane Society about the lies, I"m not sure what to do. I DO plan to do gentle instruction about the needs of dogs, and hope for the best.

MyBirdIsEvil
May 16th, 2010, 10:31 PM
So they are keeping it chained outside to a tree and told me that in a few days they'll start leaving it outside at night. No doghouse. No shelter of any kind except a few shrubs to provide shade (not that it needs shade at night).
I haven't seen any toys, nor an outdoor water dish, although they may have them.

Sounds like my neighbors. People have already called animal control on them before because they have a very emaciated basset hound and they were letting the basset and other dog bark all night outside. Our animal control does jack sh** about anything though.

So now they keep the basset inside (its still emaciated for whatever reason not to mention other health issues), but the other dog is tied outside in their backyard. They feed it scraps from their fridge. I saw a whole birthday cake back their once :frustrated: (so they can afford all this food to waste, but not dog food?). I've seen dog food there before but they'll let it sit in the rain and get soaked and just leave it, as if it's ok to feed still. I've had to tell them to give their dog water twice before because it was trying to get through my fence to find some (woulda poured some over myself but the dish was too far away). I had to tell this to like 4 little kids that answered the door though because the parents don't even go outside (I've seen them outside just a few times) and they said they'd tell their big brother about it.

Idiots everywhere.

Etown_Chick
May 16th, 2010, 10:43 PM
MBIE that's horrible about the bassett!
I do NOT get why these people bother getting dogs...grrrr!

MyBirdIsEvil
May 16th, 2010, 10:47 PM
MBIE that's horrible about the bassett!
I do NOT get why these people bother getting dogs...grrrr!

I don't know. Especially since a lot of these people don't even appear to LIKE their dogs, so why keep them?

cassiek
May 16th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Sigh. People are such idiots.

It's no wonder that so many "BIG" breeds i.e. labs, GR's, BC's etc. end up in shelters. They are adorable when they are 2 months old and all fluffy and cute, and *shocker* all of a sudden when they dog is full grown, eating a lot, and becoming destructive because it's so under-stimulated, they dump it off on someone else.

At one point the humane society I volunteer for, we had ALL labs and GR's under the age of 10 MONTHS! People had bought them when they weighed 10 lbs and once the dog had reached its full size (or near it), they couldn't be bothered anymore.

I don't understand how common sense does not prevail. I can appreciate that not everyone is an expert on dogs (although, really before getting one the SMART thing to do is to do a TON of research), but how can they not reason that a tiny puppy at 8 weeks old is going to GROW UP?! Hello, simple biology people... don't need to be a genuis to figure that out. It's not going to stay a puppy size forever!

Alot of people just should not have pets. And alot of people should not have certain breeds. Put two and two together... if you are not willing to deal with a hyper, high energy breed why in the HELL would you get one? A lower energy breed would be much more appropriate. I see it all the time... people go to BYB's and pet stores that do not care about matching the breed to the owner (more specifically - the dog to the owner), and the person ends up with a dog totally unsuited with their lifestyle that they end up dumping at the shelter when they finally realize it. :wall:

The world is absolutely nuts.

MyBirdIsEvil
May 17th, 2010, 12:15 AM
I see free dogs and dogs for sale on my local message board all the time because of people like that. It's worst around christmas when you see all the "christmas puppy" ads. And then not long after christmas you see a bunch of ads for free dogs and dogs for sale because people bought a puppy for someone and can't or don't want to keep it.
I would say why can't they just get a fish or something, but a lot of people can't even care for those properly, so I guess they just don't need anything living altogether :shrug:.

None of this is surprising especially in my area though, considering how people treat kids much less pets. But that's a whole other rant.

Melinda
May 17th, 2010, 06:15 AM
if there is no shelter outside, then call the spca, if the landlord didn't sign or know about the other dog, call him...set wheels in motion

Frenchy
May 17th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Sorry to steal your thread, but its' very related and other than ratting on them to the Humane Society about the lies, I"m not sure what to do. I DO plan to do gentle instruction about the needs of dogs, and hope for the best.

that's exactly what you should do , tell the humane society ! And bug them until they send someone to look at the dog and talk to the owners. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
May 17th, 2010, 10:52 AM
So my question is, why the hell does someone even get a dog, a PUPPY nonetheless if they don't want to deal with chewing and digging, just to throw it outside and bitch about it digging in the yard when no one is there to supervise it?

Yep, that's the Trillion dollar question. People think animals are going to train themselves or something and never do things like chew and pee and run around like crazy. :rolleyes: When people ask me if I get mad when my cats do something, I just say "Why, they are perpetual 3 year olds. Would you get mad at a three year old if they break something when you aren't looking or barf on the carpet?" It's no use. You show them as best you can, give them their boundaries but honestly, I can't get angry at my gang every time they break something or now and then I find a little truffle treasure on the rug. They don't reason like we do. I know they are smart, so I know they also like to see what they can get away with.:shrug:

Etown_Chick
May 17th, 2010, 01:00 PM
ancientgirl,
exactly! And someday I'll replace my chewed-up kitchen chairs and lino, but in the meantime I've got my little love-buddy to keep me company and take me for walks!

MyBirdIsEvil
May 17th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Yep, that's the Trillion dollar question. People think animals are going to train themselves or something and never do things like chew and pee and run around like crazy. :rolleyes: When people ask me if I get mad when my cats do something, I just say "Why, they are perpetual 3 year olds. Would you get mad at a three year old if they break something when you aren't looking or barf on the carpet?" It's no use. You show them as best you can, give them their boundaries but honestly, I can't get angry at my gang every time they break something or now and then I find a little truffle treasure on the rug. They don't reason like we do. I know they are smart, so I know they also like to see what they can get away with.:shrug:

My thinking is that they're just items. I don't get mad about it. If something gets destroyed, oh well. If it's something valuable then I should have known to keep it away from the animals. I have breakable things up and out of the way, and I don't have carpet because of accidents. If you have a problem with things getting messed up you probably shouldn't have that type of pet.
Considering all of the older already trained dogs up for adoption, I'm not sure why people choose to get puppies when they don't want stuff chewed, etc.. Shasta was already housetrained when I got her, and so was Rosco. But people want a puppy because it's cute and cuddly without thinking about the fact that they will grow into adults. Or maybe they don't care :shrug:.

ancientgirl
May 17th, 2010, 06:23 PM
My thinking is that they're just items. I don't get mad about it. If something gets destroyed, oh well. If it's something valuable then I should have known to keep it away from the animals. I have breakable things up and out of the way, and I don't have carpet because of accidents. If you have a problem with things getting messed up you probably shouldn't have that type of pet.
Considering all of the older already trained dogs up for adoption, I'm not sure why people choose to get puppies when they don't want stuff chewed, etc.. Shasta was already housetrained when I got her, and so was Rosco. But people want a puppy because it's cute and cuddly without thinking about the fact that they will grow into adults. Or maybe they don't care :shrug:.

LOL, I've got stuff I've never unpacked since I moved into this apartment because I know they will at some point get broken. No big deal, at some point I'll display them, for now I don't miss them.

Puppy's are adorable, and so are kittens. But, they grow up, and people get lazy and just don't want to bother with the responsibility after the cuteness wears off.

pattymac
May 17th, 2010, 10:37 PM
This happens everywhere...there are several dogs in our little town that never seem to get to go anywhere or do anything. They're either tied up or left out in the yard. There's one guy I see once in awhile with his dog, always walks it in the same place at the same speed on a long line. I never see him actually interacting with the dog and he stays away from other people. Supposedly the dog isn't good around other dogs...duh big surprise!

Depending on how my night at work went..some days I'm just totally wiped Bayley may not get for a run but at least we have a play session in the house. I try to make up for it when we do go out for a run. There's a gorgeous black shepherd down the street, his owner never takes him out. he's still a young dog but I don't get it..I saw out with the poor pup once trying to walk him well of course you're having a hard time, you gotta work with them!! He really wanted to meet Bayley but this guy wouldn't let him...I have no respect for people like that at all. They should just get one of those big stuffed dogs and throw them out in the yard and play a recording of a dog barking!!

MyBirdIsEvil
May 17th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I think some of those people think of their dog as a warning system or something. But I dunno how that would work since their dogs bark constantly so if someone came around the yard they wouldn't notice anything different.

Another story. My husband works on the road and he was staying in his friend's camper at an RV park. Some guy had a doberman tied out in front of his residence (not sure if the guy was there permanently or what). My husband walked up near the guys place and makes a clicking noise at the dog, thinking the dog might be friendly or something, and it started snarling, lips curled back, lunging at the chain it was on. Guy runs outside and goes "Watch out! He'll bite you!"
So nice that people will leave aggressive dogs chained out in an unfenced area where lots of people are around, to possibly bite a kid or something, or god forbid it gets away. :frustrated: