Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

R. I. P. darling Sugar.

Goldfields
May 15th, 2010, 10:49 AM
We buried our beautiful golden girl, Sugar, today next to her grandmother, Tammy, out in my angel garden(rose garden in the making). I was right in thinking she had pyometra but, unbeknown to us she had Cushing's disease, so when the vet tried to spey her she discovered an adrenal tumour plus two of the 5 P's this vet told me are associated with Cushings, the pyometra and peritonitis. I had come home hoping all would be well, only to hear this dreadul news and be asked did I want her to be woken up. She could not be speyed so I had no choice and had to say no, please put her down. I expect I have a few more buckets of tears to shed yet before I get over this loss. I'm still reeling from the shock of how she could appear so healthy one day, yet be at death's door the next.
(The other 3 P's incidentally were pancreatitis, pneumonia and pyoderma.)

Melinda
May 15th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I am so sorry for your loss Goldfields, *hugs* Run pain free over the bridge Sugar, you will be missed:grouphug:

14+kitties
May 15th, 2010, 11:27 AM
:candle::rip: Sugar :candle: I wish your life could have been longer.......

Love4himies
May 15th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I am so sorry :rip: Sugar :candle:

Dee-O-Gee
May 15th, 2010, 10:30 PM
So sorry to hear of this Goldfields. :(

Sugar will run free over the bridge and be able to stop and smell some roses.

:candle:

hazelrunpack
May 16th, 2010, 12:48 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Sugar, Goldfields. :(

:candle: Sugar

growler~GateKeeper
May 16th, 2010, 12:50 AM
:rip: sweet :angel2: Sugar :candle: She is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle: :grouphug:

Sylvie
May 16th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

:candle: Sugar

Goldfields
May 16th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Not as many years as I'd have liked either 14+ but at least she knew every minute of her life that she was loved, by us and the sheltie pack. We have some sad years ahead of us with some of the dogs getting towards the end now, my two cattle dogs are both nearly 14. three of my shelties would be 10 or more. Still, you know the grief of losing your first dog and you still have more, the good far outweighs the bad. I have asked my sister could she paint a picture of Sugar for me, she's an artist and did a wonderful painting of my heart dog from the past, the first Shady, an ACD. It is so much Shady that I felt as if I had her back, and wherever I stand in the room I feel as if she's watching me. Sheltie portraits may be harder, I don't know.

Dog Dancer
May 17th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Goldfields I'm so sorry I just saw this thread today. My condolences to you on losing Sugar. It's so hard to lose them - my heart hurts for you all today. Sugar is running happy now. As mom to a couple of seniors myself I know just what you mean about the sad stuff coming. It's been 13 years now since my last dog passed and it still hurts sometimes. Find comfort in the other pups and know that Sugar is watching over you all.

luckypenny
May 17th, 2010, 10:54 PM
:candle: Sugar :candle:

Goldfields
May 18th, 2010, 12:31 PM
It's amazing what a gap each dog leaves in your life when they go, Dog Dancer. I think Silk is missing her daughter. Heavens, she lost first her mother, then Sugar. Because she looks around hopefully each time Sugar's name is mentioned, I now refer to Sugar as "her daughter". So sad to see a dog fretting even the tiniest bit. As for me, I am so depressed it isn't funny. I might start grooming them all, it could be therapeutic to concentrate on them all, one by one.

diandpat
May 18th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Aw, I am so so sorry :cry: I don't think any length is long enough...we just love the all so much :(
:grouphug: :goodvibes: to you and your furfamily...I too have two senior dogs and know the worse is yet to come. These sad posts always remind me to cherish every day.

Godspeed beautiful Sugar...young happy and whole again at the Bridge keeping an eye on her loving family :angel2:

Goldfields
May 19th, 2010, 01:14 AM
There is a bit more to Sugar's death than I care to discuss on an open forum, it would be really nice to vent and rage but it is better discussed with the vets involved Anyway, just makes me appreciate having such a caring group of people to talk to here.Sugar was a special girl and yes, I am hoping she's with all my others from the past now.

Have you all hugged your dogs today?

Dog Dancer
May 19th, 2010, 03:56 PM
It's strange isn't it how we can see such human emotions in our animals, like Silk missing Sugar. So many people say "they're just dogs" or "just cats" not humans. Truly they have so many human qualities in common with us. Jealousy, mourning, play, the list is huge and it never fails to amaze me. I know when my older girl Shadow goes Halo will be devastated. If Shadow sneezes Halo runs over to check on her, she gets visibly concerned if Shadow yelps. So yes, your furbabies are mourning Sugar's loss as well, and would probably really appreciate and enjoy some extra grooming time to bond with you. I think it would do you all a world of good.

lindapalm
May 19th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I am so sorry, I missed this thread and was wondering why you haden't posted, I even started a thread to see how things turned out with Sugar. I am so sorry it was such bad news, it wasn't hard to see how much you loved her. Its hard to believe but good that she didn't have any symptoms from Cushings, that is what Mollie died from, and it is a horrible disease. Sugar didn't have to suffer, and I hope you find some peace in that. I am so shocked, and am truly sorry.

Goldfields
May 20th, 2010, 12:05 PM
lindapalm, in hindsight (having Googled the topic) I think there were certain indications of Cushings in Sugar, only I didn't recognise them. One was that her coat was becoming sparse, I started to wonder if she had an underactive thyroid. The other I wouldn't have been able to explain only I saw it listed on the Net as a symptom, her head had altered. They say it becomes skeletal. And yes, I'd been looking at her head and wondering why didn't it look quite as nice as it used to, like was it her advancing age? Just little things but my vet said she can't have been very advanced. Sugar did suffer unfortunately but not for long, and as you say, she's at peace now, poor angel.

lindapalm
May 20th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I'd like to think our girls are running and playing together in heaven, but Mollie was such a poor sport with other female dogs that I doubt Sugar would want anything to do with her. Take care, Goldfields.

Goldfields
May 21st, 2010, 05:28 AM
Tammy would be keeping your Mollie nice around her granddaughter, Sugar, I'm sure, lindapalm. It was funny though, Tammy didn't outwardly show effection for her daughter, Silk, but she also never chastised her like she would Sugar or any of the others. Silk on the other hand thought the sun shone out of her little golden princess, Sugar, from the minute she was born, so I know she must miss her a lot.
I do miss one of Sugar's amusing habits. At feed times she used to clean everyone's bowl, picking them up with her teeth to shift them, using teeth and feet to turn them over in case there was a morsel of food under the rim, putting one foot on the bottom to keep it still if it moved. For such a good eater it was always surprising that while the sheltie pack would be in a feeding frenzy just prior to being fed, making enough noise to waken the dead, Sugar always stood back in her feeding spot and never made a sound.

cassiek
May 21st, 2010, 11:36 AM
Goldfields, I am so so so sorry for your loss. There are no words to describe the pain we endure when one of our fur children leaves us... know that she is watching over you and smiling on you from doggie heaven.

:candle: Sugar :angel2:

Times like this remind us how precious and very short our dog's lives are and how we must cherish them everyday. :pawprint:

lindapalm
May 21st, 2010, 11:33 PM
Mollie sounds like she was the same as Sugar when it came to eating, she lived for it. She too would hold the bowl with her paw so she could clean the bowl better, unfortunately she loved to eat too much and had owners that indulged her too much. She had quite a big butt when she got old, but so do I so I guess we made a good pair. I think the crazier the dogs, the more you miss them when their gone.