Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Potty Training

Peter Bomberg
May 13th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Anyone have good advice on how to train a 9 week old to go outside, we take it out after every meal and so on and she loves being outside however there is a 50% chance she will not do anything outdoors and within 10-15 min of coming back in there is a small puddle.

Peter

LavenderRott
May 13th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Puppies who don't go potty outside, don't get free run in the house when they come in. :D

You have to stay outside with puppy until puppy goes potty. The puppy will have to go more if you get it moving. Chase a ball, play with a squeeky toy, anything that gets that little body moving around. When you see the puppy starting to go potty - tell her "good potty" in a positive (but not excited - you don't want to take her attention away from the business at hand!) voice. Once puppy is done - lots and lots and lots of praise!!

Peter Bomberg
May 13th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Ok how often should they go out then every 20 min? 20 min after each meal?

Peter

LavenderRott
May 13th, 2010, 07:25 PM
She needs to go out right after every meal and every nap. In between, you need to look for little signs...is she more interested in sniffing around then interacting with you? Is her back hunched just the slightest bit?

You will learn her signs as you watch her. And make sure you are watching her!

DoubleRR
May 13th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Crates and leashes when indoors at all times works like a charm. You can tether pup to you or to the furniture you are sitting on to ensure you can see them at all times that they are not in their crate. I do not let a pup free in the house unless I am within arms reach every second, that way there is NO chance for accidents. Even at several months old, I always know just where my pup is and what it is doing.

A strict schedule for feeding and exercise--water not available after 7 pm,[or three hrs before bed, whenever that is] but all they want any other time, and as LR said above--out often, after every meal, after drinking, after naps, after playing. Loads of praise when they go--and include a command such as 'go pee' as they go. Soon they will go on command and you will be well on your way to a well housetrained dog. Just do not relax too soon--most issues stem from too much freedom too early.