Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New member, first time blogger

Archie_Boy
May 13th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Hello everyone,

I am a new member and first time blogger. I am not 100% sure how this works so any help would be great.

I have a male Boarder Collie/Shepherd mix, who I adopted from a humane society in Ontario, Canada. He is not my first pet and probably not my last. lol. Archie is 1.5 years old and a great addition to our family.

He is very hyper but has a great soul and wouldn't hurt anyone. He is very loving and enjoys giving hugs to people he trusts.

I have been reading articles and information about Prednisone for dogs who have allergies and the effects of it on canines. I find this site to be very helpful and understanding on what most pet owners are going through.

About 6 months ago I took Archie to our vet because he was itching really bad. I checked my house/dog for fleas, ticks, mites, bed bugs, etc., and thankfully found none (I am sort of a clean freak). When Archie was tested at the vet he told me that Archie had allergies. The doctor did not specify which allergies he had and prescribed Archie Prednisone (0.5mg) to be taken orally twice a day.

I followed his instructions and noticed after a while the pills were not working. After going back to the vet for his check up, he prescribed Archie 5mg pills (to be taken twice a day). When I give him the pills he doesn't itch anymore, but I am very concerned about the sever side effects.

My question is if anyone knows of any natural remedies to relieve the itchiness?

I could be typing all day, but I do have to take Archie for a walk.

Thank you for having me on this site. Any information is truley helpful.

Cam & Archie:ca:

Frenchy
May 13th, 2010, 05:52 PM
This could be food allergies , if so , you could just change his diet and you wouldn't have to give him any meds.

If it's seasonal allergies , your vet could prescribe Vanectyl , but like any other meds , when given long term , it can be hard on liver and such. My Bailey was on Vanectyl from April until October every year. Until one summer when I stopped it , allergies were gone (don't ask me how :shrug:)

for the food allergies , it's usually anything with corn , sometimes it's chicken , so to start with , I suggest you try a kibble that doesn't have any corn in it , and see. :)