Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Finally ! My mini catuary is ready !!!

Frenchy
May 13th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Many of you know that I had to stop fostering dogs after I adopted Churchill. I was looking for other ways to help , fostering a cat would have been hard , to introduce one cat to my 4 dogs and 3 cats takes a long time , and to start all over again with each foster cats ....

so I had an idea :lightbulb: to change my guest bedroom into a catuary. This way , I could foster more than one cat , and they would have their own room , away from my gang. It's now ready and I'm hoping to get the first fosters in tomorrow or this week end. :cat:

I'm hoping to get it more comfy but it will do for now , I put the litter boxes inside the big closet (is this ok ? :confused:) and there's also a open box with blanket inside the closet.

1. & 2. the sleeping area :laughing:
3. feeding station until I can come up with something better

Frenchy
May 13th, 2010, 03:20 PM
The crate is for when I get a newbie cat , to introduce him/her to the fosters that will already be here.

I also put a baby gate outside the door , to make sure when I go in and out , to keep the fosters in , and my guys out.

Frenchy
May 13th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I have to say thanks to 14+ (and everyone else that is fostering cats) who has been my inspiration to do this. :)

14+kitties
May 13th, 2010, 03:29 PM
:grouphug: Frenchy, I WUV YOU!!!!! :cloud9:
You are amazing for always helping out. The world needs many more like you. A spare room here, another there......... happy, healthy, well looked after kitties abound!!!! :highfive: :2huggers:

Oh yeah, great job!!! The room is amazing!! It will do very very well for many kitties. :grouphug: It's ok to have the litter in the closet too.

Winston
May 13th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Frenchy it looks awesome! I was thinking for the cage maybe find a comforter or something to cover it with when you get a newbie so they can have some privacy...gotta remember sometimes its intimidating to have a cat in a cage while others are on the outisde of it ....is there a lot of space under the dresser? you may find a scared kitty trying to hide under there!

I see you have curious kitty trying to look in!! :thumbs up

Love it! and so will the kitty's!!

14+kitties
May 13th, 2010, 03:33 PM
The only thing I might do is to put a piece of cardboard or wood over top of the crate and then cover it with a blanket. It makes an extra sleeping spot for your fosters and keeps their little legs from being injured slipping through the bars on top. That's how Mylee sprained her leg a couple of years back. :o I had to learn the hard way.

Frenchy
May 13th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I was thinking for the cage maybe find a comforter or something to cover it

The only thing I might do is to put a piece of cardboard or wood over top of the crate and then cover it with a blanket.

Good point ! Will do ! :thumbs up

If you think of anything , tell me , I'm new at this :D

diandpat
May 13th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Bravo Frenchy...it looks fantastic!!! :thumbs up Are you fostering for one rescue in particular or just whoever needs it. Love the cat tree in front of the window...they will love it!!!

Can't wait for pics of the first fosters!!!! :cloud9:

Frenchy
May 13th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I want to start fostering for one of the rescues I was fostering dogs before. As they also have cats and I love that one rescue :o

Winston
May 13th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Good Job! 14+ I guess we think a like! Another cheap way to do things is to get some large boxes and cut out some hidey holes for them to play in eventually..it really depends on the kitty's you get..

Frenchy do you buy your kitty litter from Costco? There is a different one here in Ontario than I normally get and wondered if they changed it there?

Your kittys will be able to jump the gate no problem so be careful!

Frenchy
May 13th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Frenchy do you buy your kitty litter from Costco? There is a different one here in Ontario than I normally get and wondered if they changed it there?

Yes , I buy the one from Costco , it's been the same brand for the past year , it's call Qualicat (clumping one)

Winston
May 13th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I'll have to check the one here I am all out and was hoping the new one was just here for short time ....thanks!

NoahGrey
May 13th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Room looks great Frenchy

chico2
May 13th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Winston,Costco still has the crappy litter,I now buy mine at Walmart,hardly any dust.

Frenchy,you are just too much,what a wonderful idea:thumbs up
The kitties will love their room,heck,I'd move in there with the kitties.

I think many of the rescue kitties might already know each other,so it might not be too much fighting etc..
I cannot wait for the first kitty to arrive,with pics of course:cat:

Winston
May 13th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Chico what kind is your litter? is it clumping?

otter
May 13th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Wow Frenchy, looks amazing :thumbs up:thumbs up

That dresser looks mighty kitty friendly too, what about opening up one drawer a bit so a kitty can crawl in for a cozy sleeping spot? When I was a kid our kitty loved to snuggle in my sock drawer :D

What a great and such a generous thing you are doing for some well deserving kitties :cat::cat::highfive:

sugarcatmom
May 13th, 2010, 05:06 PM
What a fabulous setup! Your fosters are going to be so happy. Can't wait to see some pics of them groovin' in that cat tree or lounging in the chair.

Way to go! :thumbs up You rock. :grouphug:

BrownEyedGirl
May 13th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Wow, what a wonderful thing you are doing. I bow to you - you rock! Be sure to post pics of the new fosters.

Frenchy
May 13th, 2010, 05:29 PM
That dresser looks mighty kitty friendly too, what about opening up one drawer a bit so a kitty can crawl in for a cozy sleeping spot? When I was a kid our kitty loved to snuggle in my sock drawer :D

good idea ! as long as the fosters are not too heavy because this is very cheap dresser and the bottoms of the drawers are not too solid :p

and please guys , I'm no angel :laughing: as long as I can do something that doesn't involve too much $$$ :o I have found that , when you start fostering , it's very hard to stop. You keep getting those e-mails about pets in need ... and I figure this will garantee me to stay single :laugh:

I found a piece of plywhood that fits the top of the crate :thumbs up will I have to cover the front also ?

otter
May 13th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I don't know about kitties, but I sure would be happy curling up in that hidey hole for a snnooooooze :sleepy: :thumbs up

14+kitties
May 13th, 2010, 05:40 PM
That is perfect Frenchy! :thumbs up Almost identical to how mine is set up in the kitchen. It works so well for kitties that need some space. I find Mittens using mine almost daily when he doesn't want anyone else jumping on him while he sleeps.
If the dresser is tippy or not too stable on the drawer bottom how about just taking a drawer out and putting it on the floor beside the dresser? That way they still have a little spot for snuggling and you don't have to worry too much.
Over time you will figure out different ideas you can do to make your fosters happy. Heck, I'm still working on new things for my gang. Just waiting for my carpenter to do them. :rolleyes:

And ummm, you ARE an angel young lady!! Face it!! :D

cpietra16
May 13th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Hey Frenchy....good timing...hint hint hint:rolleyes::D

Shaykeija
May 13th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Can I move in? Good job on the Cat House..lol:D

Tundra_Queen
May 13th, 2010, 07:42 PM
frenchy great job! Make sure u put the food and water dishes as far away from the litter box as u can. Also about the dresser, there are safety thingies u can screw on the back of heavy dresser that then screw onto the wall...this is so kids don't have heavy furniture fall over onto them if they climb them.

Also u will need another baby gate attached to the frame on top of the lower baby gate or the cats will get over the first one.

In my cat room, I bought 1 x 10" wood and attached it too the walls using brackets. I taped indoor outdoor carpet to the boards and put them along the walls to give the cats more space. I have a board on the wall at a angel for the cats to climb up to get the shelving around the ceiling. We also have ery wide and deep window sills and the cats lay and sit on those.

I thought u had a roomie so u were able to do a foster room? Did she move out?

Debbie

aslan
May 13th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Excellent job Frenchy,,i was thinking the same as TQ about a second babygate on top...

Frenchy
May 13th, 2010, 07:56 PM
The baby gate is only a safe measure , the door will be kept close on all times (like in the pic , until I can add a screen door) The baby gate is just for when I do open the door while I go in & out but I will never leave the door open.

for the dresser , it is stirdy. I was talking about the drawers bottoms :o

Frenchy
May 13th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Hey Frenchy....good timing...hint hint hint:rolleyes::D

I know :p but I already said yes to 2 cats , 2 weeks ago. Unless they got adopted but I let the rescue decide who I'm getting. I'm hoping one day , I will get a mom and her kittens :cloud9:

Can I move in? Good job on the Cat House..lol:D

ohhhh that would be great ! A nanny for the foster kitties :laughing:

Frenchy
May 13th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I thought u had a roomie so u were able to do a foster room? Did she move out?

Debbie

Yes , she has found an appartement. Although she liked being at my place , she was also eager to go back to Montreal. And I was eager about starting the catuary :p

hazelrunpack
May 13th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Looks like a great set-up, Frenchy! :thumbs up Good job!! And you sure better make sure those camera batteries are charged the day your first fosters arrive! :D

t.pettet
May 13th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Good job kitty fosterer, looks like a great set-up to reside in.

Dee-O-Gee
May 13th, 2010, 09:13 PM
So who can we call to make reservations cause I would love to crash in the catuary too! :D :thumbs up

Great job Frenchy! :thumbs up Looking forward to seeing the room filled with love! :lovestruck:

krdahmer
May 13th, 2010, 09:15 PM
:thumbs up:highfive::grouphug: that is awesome frenchy!!!! my kitties want to know if you have any weekend specials at hotel kitty?!?!?!:goodvibes:

14+kitties
May 13th, 2010, 09:25 PM
A couple of years ago phoozles was trying to get her newest kitty to get along with her other two. She has a room set up for Ethel and her hubby built her a neat door using two baby screen things. Maybe you could borrow someone to make one for you? That way the door could be open once the new kitties have settled a bit.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=55088
- post #10 shows the door.

JennieV
May 13th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Frenchy, I am impressed! great job!! :highfive::highfive:

ancientgirl
May 14th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Wow, that room is amazing. I thought after seeing the photos, you could put shelves on the walls, at alternating heights so they can climb up and jump around.

I would love to do what you are doing. What a wonderful thing you are doing.

mummummum
May 14th, 2010, 08:20 AM
:thumbs up Very kewl CatLadyinWaiting

Frenchy
May 14th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Humans are welcome but they'll have to pay for their stay $$ :evil:

14+ , yes I remember the baby gate door , nice , but can't do it here , would cost more than just build a door. Still , I'll look into it. :)

Love4himies
May 14th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Very nice, Frenchy :thumbs up. hope you don't have the same problem as me and foster fail with the mommas :o

Frenchy
May 14th, 2010, 09:34 AM
hope you don't have the same problem as me and foster fail with the mommas :o

I can't afford anymore pets :o

adopting Churchill was like adding 2 X 80 lbs dogs to my household :laughing:

Dog Dancer
May 14th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Frenchy what a great job. The kitties will truly be thankful. As for being a foster failure - never say never....

growler~GateKeeper
May 15th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Room looks great Frenchy :thumbs up I would add a cardboard scratching box some cats may prefer that to the carpeting on the tree (may extend the life of the tree too ;)), Duffy loved hers :cloud9: but my mums' cat won't use one :shrug:

Frenchy
May 16th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I would add a cardboard scratching box some cats may prefer that to the carpeting on the tree (may extend the life of the tree too ;)), Duffy loved hers :cloud9: but my mums' cat won't use one :shrug:

I have one for my guys. I don't have the "rack" for it , the store here only sell the rechargeable :shrug: Only Paddy uses it :cat:

chico2
May 16th, 2010, 03:47 PM
My cats also love the cardboard scratcher,always use it,making a mess:cat:

Dee-O-Gee
May 16th, 2010, 10:06 PM
making a mess:cat:

But well worth it! :thumbs up

Very inexpensive and loads of fun! :crazy:

BenMax
May 17th, 2010, 09:09 AM
WOW!!! When can I move in?

Looks absolutely amazing. You are good people Frenchy!:thumbs up

Frenchy
May 17th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks BM , can't wait to get fosters ! :cat:

Too bad I couldn't make it to the garage sale , I'm looking to buy a used radio to put in the catuary.

Now , what station do you think the cats will like to listen to ? :p

Magicwildwolf69
May 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM
what a great start! maybe i'll become a kitty and come live with you at your house. as for the cardboard scatchers i've got them for my three as well and they do use them. i have about 5 spread out throughout my house. mil doesn't like it i said well it stops them from scarching my couch and the floor boards.

Frenchy
May 19th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I found a screen door for 24.97 on special at the hardware store near my place. It's 32 wide so if I can take off 2 inches each sides , it will do. Now I just have to find someone with a car big enough to get the door here :yell:

BenMax
May 19th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks BM , can't wait to get fosters ! :cat:

Too bad I couldn't make it to the garage sale , I'm looking to buy a used radio to put in the catuary.

Now , what station do you think the cats will like to listen to ? :p

Frenchy - I will look into the garage sale to see if there are any to pick up for you.

Frenchy
May 19th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Frenchy - I will look into the garage sale to see if there are any to pick up for you.

Thanks BM !

Frenchy
May 26th, 2010, 02:17 PM
A friend custom made a screen door for the catuary and installed it this morning , I'm ready baby !! :D

ancientgirl
May 26th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Excellent! You're all ready!

edwina
June 6th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Very nice caturary room Frenchy. :thumbs up
They should be very happy. :D