Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doxie always hungry

J Louise
September 5th, 2004, 11:36 AM
I know the answer to this I think, but I need to show my mother some other peoples suggestions on this one. My mom has a 5 yr old Dachsund that wants to be fed at 2:30 a.m. and when they get up at 8 a.m. and by 3:30 p.m. I have suggested she stand firm against his clawing at the bed in the middle of the night to be fed but she claims he will not back down for anything until she gets up and feeds him something. I suggested since he sleeps out in the living room, she also close her bedroom door but she says he will scratch the heck out of it. I say it is a problem she let get out of control from day one...what do you guys think and any other suggestions will be appreciated. I have had two Doxies myself and not had this problem.

jenjen
September 5th, 2004, 12:27 PM
I would find it a little strange that he wants to be fed that much. Maybe there is something wrong with him..ie:worms. Maybe thats what is making this little guy so hungry. If thats not the case than I guess the best way to put, is hes spoiled.Silly puppies

dogs_4_me
September 5th, 2004, 01:51 PM
I think that dog is very spoiled :D That's probaly why he wants to be fed so much. Maybe up his food abit(if not already getting alot) so he wont be hungery as much. :D

heeler's rock!
September 5th, 2004, 04:09 PM
I agree with Jenjen on this one. Maybe he has worms and should get checked out by a vet. If all is good at the vet's, then ask how much he should be fed and up it if need be. Also, what type of food is he being fed? Most low quality foods won't be digested by him well and end up making him hungrier. Try a holistic brand that doesn't have any fillers. Good ones are innova, solid gold, wellness, and go! natural. These may be a bit more pricy, but you save too because she won't need to feed him nearly as much and he'll digest more so he won't be so hungry! Hope this helps!

goldenblaze
September 5th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Why not start feeing the dog later in the day? 3:30 p.m. may be a little early try later in the night. I know both of my dogs eat in up to 7:00 p.m. and have no problem waiting for morning to eat again, you never know it might work.