Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

black pimple on the left side of the cat's neck

slava11
May 10th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I am sorry if I have posted my message already. I am going crazy !
I adopted cat from anti-cruelty society. on 4/27/10. 1.5 years old Siberian medium haired tabby.
Well, here I have a problem now. I was patting my kitty, and I felt a little pimple on the left side of his neck,( at the shelter he was wearing collar around his neck). So, it is within this area. Could this be a Microchip?
Now, it looks like a pimple (small size)- blackish color, and its protruding, looks like a pimple or dried blood. It is outside. I would describe it, as when you burn or scratch your skin, and then it heals, and you developed a crust on this place.
It doesn't seem to bother him. He eats well and he is all right. Have you had similar experiences? Now, my cat is long haired. I phoned to Anti-cruelty society clinic and veterinary told me to come in on Tuesday.have no idea whether they have gave him a shot in the neck vaccinated or micro-chipped there. The black do or pimple looks like a crust. It doesn't seem that it is growing. Problem is this Tuesday will be 14th day(the last day) that Anti-cruelty clinic does treat animals for free. This is crazy because they are not open on weekends. I talked to the Vet on Sunday(she returned my phone call) from Antic-cruelty. I asked her whether this was were they put microchip or gave him some sort of shot. She didn't answer. She said to bring him in
I just hope that it is nothing serious. He is not scratching it, and it doesn't bother him. Perhaps, he scratched the area when we removed that collar from his neck. Any comments, please!
Edit/Delete Message

catlover2
May 10th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Microchips are usually inserted in the skin on back of neck or between shoulder blades, so not likely microchip, unless it has migrated? Could be an abrasion of the skin from his collar, but have it checked out by a vet to make sure.

slava11
May 10th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Microchips are usually inserted in the skin on back of neck or between shoulder blades, so not likely microchip, unless it has migrated? Could be an abrasion of the skin from his collar, but have it checked out by a vet to make sure.
..and there's a little hair loss on tha place, perhaps he starched it.

kathryn
May 10th, 2010, 12:09 PM
It is possible, but highly unlikely, for a microchip to migrate but it would not really be able to push it's way out. When a microchip is not inserted properly (which I may have done myself in the past :o) it will immediately fall back out. If it were a microchip sticking out it would have fallen out on it's own by now.

For issues like that my shelter would not be open on the weekend either. We only treat true emergencies on weekends/evenings (i.e. a kitten adopted a few days prior now has bloody diarrhea, a dog that was neutered at the clinic is having trouble urinating.. etc)...

Your cat probably scratched at it's collar and caused a small blister to form. I really would not be too concerned but have it checked out if it is really bothering you.