Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Little Mixed Terrier is marking my house!

norm258
May 10th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Ok, I have several dogs in the house but only one of them is male right now. He is a mixed terrier and around 20 lbs or less. My other dogs are all large breed but he is the biggest problem!

Scruffy ( the terrier ) has decided to mark all over my house! If there's a corner to be had, he marks it. As anyone who has a dog like this, it's not the quantity of urine from this, its the stench even a few drops make! He seems to think the house is his personal toilet and craps on the area rugs if left in too long as well.

He is 6 years old - when we got him he wasn't perfectly house trained but after a short time working with him he became house trained. He was great for a few years until I introduced another male dog into the house (Hunter, male GSD, RIP). That seemed to have trigger the behaviour and now I don't know how to break him of it. I've had to replace almost all of the remaining carpet in the bedroom areas for hard floors.

I've actually stood there talking to my wife about something and out of the corner of my eye not 5 feet away he cocked his leg and marked!

I'm at my wits end with him - he has issues (he was an abused rescue that I took in) - he freaks at anyone coming or going and when we let him out he goes charging into the backyard barking like a mad dog (until of course the neighbor's dog barks back then he comes a running back in! lol). I'm not sure where to start with this - when ever he marks we use Nature's Miracle stain and odour remover when we see he's done it to neatralize the smell but that doesn't seem to help. He just finds another spot to mark.

Do I crate him and restrict his freedom for a while now? How can I address this issue with him?

All of them have been spayed or neutered except for the GSD puppy I have now and she is scheduled to go in on Friday (Trixie, 7 months old).

Sorry this has been a bit long winded but I just don't know how to deal with this little monster :) (give me a GSD any day and I can work him them... )

Norm

Frenchy
May 10th, 2010, 10:31 AM
As anyone who has a dog like this, it's not the quantity of urine from this, its the stench even a few drops make!

My Pyrenee marked a few times after getting here , it wasn't the stench but the quantity :laughing:

But you're talking about smelly urine ... have you had his urine tested ? Maybe that's just it , he may have something , UTI , cushings disease , addison , diabetes etc ...

norm258
May 10th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Good point - he's due for his annual checkup so I'll ask the doc to do a urinalysis.

Thanks!

Happy Woof
May 10th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Hello norm258,

I think a urine test would be useful indeed. It is the first thing you want to do.

If this comes back negative, which we hope, you might want to assess whether your dog understands that you are the leader - maybe he's challenging you in your own house because the boundaries are not clear.

I hope this helps... :dog:

Shaykeija
May 11th, 2010, 01:52 AM
If everything comes back for the vet good, and he is healthy, I would suggest a belly band. This does work and should help him relearn that marking in the house is not a good thing. So where are the pictures of this little pee marker?

Marty11
May 11th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I feel it's a dominent behaviour. My manchester very occassionaly does this. He peed on a kid once, my husbands jacket hanging on a chair, even me.....I have heard that long casual walks would help treat the "boredom" they say. I let my manchester pee on quite a few things along our walk to get it out of his system. I think it helps.

norm258
May 11th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Belly band? What's that? This is the first I've heard of it?

Ok dominance issues I can relate too and deal with - he's definitely got issues there but I guess I just didn't relate it to the marking. Technically its my wife's dog so I will have to work through her to get his behaviour changed :laughing:

It's always the small ones that give me the most grief! LOL Here's a couple of pictures of the little devil himself. Don't let his cuteness deceive you... rofl

Shaykeija
May 11th, 2010, 10:33 PM
you can see them here...

http://www.gwlittle.com/prod_detail_list/dog_belly_bands/?r=aw.belly1

now if they could only invent something for the men in the house to hit the toilet? :laughing:

and what a cutie...

norm258
May 12th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the link -- and hey now, I hit the toilet every time!