Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

7 Month old Beagle... wife HATES him.

frameboy
May 9th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Hi All,

I just found this forum today and I'm hoping to get some direction.

We have a 7 month old beagle puppy (Jake) who is neutered now. I generally like being around him, and my kids (aged 6 and 4) generally do as well. My wife however is frustrated with him.

He is constantly nipping at her hands. If I walk into the room, he will stop. He does firming tell him "NO!" or "STOP". He does NOT do it to me (unless we are playinng...) or my kids, though my 4 year old has been nipped a few times, it's fairly and normally when he's running around being a kid.

Jake is also constantly pushing boundaries with my wife. Jumping up on things to get anything and everything he can. Today he jumped on a couch to chew on the curtains. He has never shown any interest in them when I'm around.

I'm considering an in-home trainer to help my wife and Jake work on boundaries and leading in a familiar place. Jake does need that... but I think my wife needs it too to help build that bond between them.

Outside of this issue, Jake is quite good! He's crate trained, and doesn't mind it at all. He's house trained about 99%, with the occasional accident. He likes to play and loves lying on the couch with my boys as they watch their show.

Can anybody suggest an in home trainer in Durham? I've reached out to a few, but I'd love some suggestions that Google may not have found.

Or... suggest alternatives?

14+kitties
May 9th, 2010, 08:51 AM
It sounds to me like your wife needs to show the puppy she is the one in charge. Not let him be the boss. I'm sure some dog savvy folks will be along soon to help you out but meanwhile - some reading material for you and your wife.......

http://www.dogtrainingbasics.com/Puppy%20Control.html

http://www.everything.com/Common-Behavior-Naughty-or-Nasty-Behaviors/#axzz0nR5thiTy

http://www.the-puppy-dog-place.com/puppy-biting.html

cell
May 9th, 2010, 09:29 AM
She should start by tethering the dog to her waist. Then he will have to follow her everywhere, and will help with creating a bond.
Also if she is frustrated with him it will only make him worst. If he is tethered to her, he can not wander off, and she can just ignore him and go about her business and he has no choice but to follow her. If she's doing chores and he lies down and she needs to move to another room, touch luck for the pooch, he needs to get up and follow. For areas like in the kitchen when having a dog tied to you might not be convenient, she can tie him to a near by object so he is not under foot, but if she leaves the room take him with her again.

6 months to about 2 years with a high energy dog like a beagle is going to be tough, but stick it out and you will have many more good years then bad.
Good Luck

rainbow
May 9th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Good suggestions so far. :thumbs up

Jake sounds like a normal 7 month old puppy but he does need to learn that he is not the alpha. Did you ever take him to puppy school? If not, that would be a good place to start and it should be your wife that takes him.

Good luck and keep us posted. :goodvibes:

frameboy
May 9th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks for some of the suggestions.

We actually did consider the tethering... and I think that will help. Finding time to do it may be hard with her job, but I think we can manage a couple of hours a day.

Will that be enough? For example... after dinner (or even during... she's up and down a lot.)

We did have him in puppy class, but it was me who took him.

I've found a few trainers that will come to our house, which I think will help... more for her than him.

We'll start with the tethering and let you know how it works out.

And yes... I do think Jake is just a normal puppy. Funny enough, we have the same problem with my 4 year old son, but reversed... he gives me fits! ;) And no... we are not going to get rid of my son either... lol.

-Mike

happycats
May 10th, 2010, 10:17 AM
If your wife hates him and is angry, frustrated, and hateful, the dog can only re-act poorly from that energy. It's bad energy, and only results in bad behaviour from the dog.
It seems your wife could really benefit from some training (not meant to be insulting) but most bad/untrained dogs come from bad/untrained owners, and since you and the kids are onboard, she will have to get onboard too, or the dog will never respond positively to her.

Gail P
May 10th, 2010, 12:34 PM
An alternative to the in-home lessons would be to enroll him in another round of classes but this time your wife should be the one who takes him and learns how to work with him. Doesn't have to be a repeat of the same class, there are so many different ones available, lots of different things he can learn.

I think most trainers know they are training the owner/handler as much as the dog in a lot of cases.

rainbow
May 10th, 2010, 01:42 PM
An alternative to the in-home lessons would be to enroll him in another round of classes but this time your wife should be the one who takes him and learns how to work with him. Doesn't have to be a repeat of the same class, there are so many different ones available, lots of different things he can learn.

I think most trainers know they are training the owner/handler as much as the dog in a lot of cases.

I agree, as I think your wife would benefit more from a class situation as well rather than an in-home one. And, as mentioned it doesn't have to be a repeat of the puppy one, it can be the next stage which is called puppy advanced where I live. I would call the trainer you went to already and ask for his/her opinion.

frameboy
May 11th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the input...

The thought behind the in-home classes is...

1) She doesn't have to be embarrassed about not be a "dog person", which she is embarrassed about.

2) She can ask and receive help about Jake's specific actions and work on what gets her frustrated.

3) Our kids can get involved too.

Jake did take a "Who's walking who" course, and actually did pretty well. We tried to get my wife to do it, but she just wasn't comfortable.

We may very well have her do a class... but so far the home lessons are not much more expensive.

Also... fair to note, she doesn't ALWAYS hate him, she hate him when he's running around like a crazy dog finding things to chew on and not listening to her.

We've been tethering for a couple of days now. A couple of hours a day. It seems to be going fairly well, he doesn't seem to mind or care.

Those who advised this... how long do we do it for? A week? Two?

Thanks
-Mike

14+kitties
May 11th, 2010, 06:32 PM
You do it until you get the desired results.
Is puppy getting lots of exercise in a day? Lots of walking to tire him out? Lots of playtime out in the yard with you and the kids. Possibly throwing a ball or stick or something for him to run after. He is essentially just a baby. He is in the learning stages. It's good to get him under control now. I'm sure with training and lot of love he will be the jewel dogs even your wife will love. :thumbs up