Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rupert almost ran away!!!!

Chaser
May 6th, 2010, 09:21 AM
OMG my heart is racing right now.....

Right before work today I had been thinking it was weird that Rupert didn't greet me this morning but the new house is so big I figured he was snoozing somewhere. Then I saw that a screen in the kitchen was totally torn open and he was gone!!!!

I had no choice but to come to work, bawling the entire way. I left the window open in case he returned and told FH to put food out on the deck beside the window as soon as he got home.

Fifteen minutes later FH returned from dropping me off and found Rupert sitting in the kitchen meowing his head off for his breakfast! I can't even express how relieved I am...or how upset I was at the thought of him being gone. :(

He's never tried anything like this before...for the past year he finally seemed content being an indoor cat. We had tonnes of ground floor windows at the old house he could have gotten out of but he never once tried it.

Does anyone have any ideas how we can make sure this never happens again??? Obviously we won't be leaving windows open now...but how on earth can we spend the summer with the house completely shut up? What do you other cat owners do?

I just felt like I had to post here because I really need support. Even though he is safe now I really felt like my heart was breaking and I know no one can really understand that the way you guys can...everyone else will say it's "just a cat".

hazelrunpack
May 6th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Someone mentioned somewhere that they do make a tear resistant, more pet-proof screening, Chaser. :fingerscr they'll see your thread and jump in because for the life of me I can't remember who it was :o

Maybe call around to hardware stores in your area?

Another option might be to use the same screening but put a thin lattice of some type on the outside to prevent him from getting through even if the screen gets damaged again. It would still let the air in, but prevent escapes. :shrug:

Thank dawg he made it back!!!! I can imagine what you were going through :grouphug:

Melinda
May 6th, 2010, 09:52 AM
if you can find an old hagen guinea pig cage and take it apart (only hooks together) my sister uses the sides to make a guard on her windows, she use to take in cats with Rhino and this way they get the fresh air but no worries about getting out.

Chaser
May 6th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Good ideas....thank you.

Still can't believe he did this :o

hazelrunpack
May 6th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Monday when hubby got home and was, thankfully, idling out in the driveway waiting for the garage door to finish going up, the dogs rushed the inside door and it popped open! :eek: 7 of them made their escape! It was thundering, too, and we have 3 that hate thunderstorms, but luckily they bolted back to the house at the next peal, not out into the woods. And the other 4 just followed hubby into the house. Whew!

But it's a sick feeling when you realize they're out. :o :grouphug:

Frenchy
May 6th, 2010, 10:22 AM
He was able to destroy the screen ? :eek: ouch ! I'm glad he's back :thumbs up

Coco often climbs the screen door right to the top , she never damaged it. I buy the metallic one , my hardware store don't have the one "for pets" but the one I buy , is pretty sturdy.

ownedbycats
May 6th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Yeah, Sunshine escaped two days ago. Dad opened the door and she pushed past him and ran straight out onto the road. I had just gotten in the car, so I opened my door and called. Thankfully she made a beeline for the car because as far as she is concerned cars mean dog park, but if she hadn't listened or there had been traffic it could have been bad.

14+kitties
May 6th, 2010, 10:36 AM
They do make pet proof screening which is thicker and the mesh is woven tighter together than normal screening but it is gawd awful expensive. My hubby buys an aluminum window screening for straining his paint and it is super strong. It would be ideal for using in your windows. If your new landlord is a peach then he might help you out?

Chaser
May 6th, 2010, 10:37 AM
He was able to destroy the screen ? :eek: ouch ! I'm glad he's back :thumbs up

He ripped it right from top to bottom! He had "picked" at our old screens a couple times....made one or two holes about the size of a dime. But this was totally destroyed.

There are no blinds on this window, just a curtain, and I think that might be what has made the difference. We usually keep the blinds down at night - just slanted so breeze can get through. That is a barrier for him....so I think our other windows are okay actually. Just realizing this now....

But this kitchen window is going to need to stay shut until we find a solution that can deter Rupert the Terrible. Of course it is all of a foot from the floor and has a nice big ledge to perch on. I might as well have just opened up the door for him :frustrated: :wall:

BrownEyedGirl
May 6th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Oh my goodness that is scary. So happy he is back home where he belongs. No advice to offer you, I've been wondering what to do myself. Last summer it was so hot here we ran the A/C quit a bit so the windows werent open.

Love4himies
May 6th, 2010, 11:07 AM
:eek::eek::eek::eek: I have never had a cat who wanted out bad enough to rip the screen :eek:. I never even thought that a cat would do this. Are you sure it was Rupert who ripped it? Could it have been a raccoon trying to get in? A bird who may have flown into it, creating a bit of a rip then Rupert squeezing through causing it more of a rip?

14+kitties
May 6th, 2010, 11:21 AM
:eek::eek::eek::eek: I have never had a cat who wanted out bad enough to rip the screen :eek:. I never even thought that a cat would do this. Are you sure it was Rupert who ripped it? Could it have been a raccoon trying to get in? A bird who may have flown into it, creating a bit of a rip then Rupert squeezing through causing it more of a rip?

You have been extremely lucky L4! I had a kitty in an old house who routinely worked at a tiny hole in the screen to try to get out. I finally got the pet safe stuff and he couldn't wreck it. My little beggars now try too when we have the bathroom window open. TT is the worse for sticking his litte claws into the screen and pulling. Not so sure it's because he wants out so badly. He's just being TT. :laughing:

Love4himies
May 6th, 2010, 11:27 AM
You have been extremely lucky L4! I had a kitty in an old house who routinely worked at a tiny hole in the screen to try to get out. I finally got the pet safe stuff and he couldn't wreck it. My little beggars now try too when we have the bathroom window open. TT is the worse for sticking his litte claws into the screen and pulling. Not so sure it's because he wants out so badly. He's just being TT. :laughing:

I have had screens that my foster kittens have put a tiny hole in by climbing, but have never had an adult cat try.

ancientgirl
May 6th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Oy, that's something I never want to experience. Maybe Rupert saw something and just went after it. Good thing he came back!

Maybe you can get the regular screen, but double up on it? Lattice is good too. That's what I have in the loft so the gang don't fall over. But if you do buy lattice, make sure you get some with the squares small, so he doesn't get his head stuck, like another kitty I now.:rolleyes: Oh, would chicken wire work? Or even regular fencing cut to fit the window?:shrug:

Longblades
May 6th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Cats can be pretty determined and I personally have doubts about that pet safe screening you can buy. We came home from vacation once to find NO cat. I even called my friend who had been coming once a day to feed and play, yup, cat was in every time she came and she certainly did not let her out. Turned around, there's our cat. OK, are we going nuts or what?

It wasn't till I did the vacation laundry that I saw the ripped screen in the laundry room window.. The ripped METAL screen. Ginger had probably been coming and going as she pleased the whole time we were away.

Here's the next part of Ginger's story. Of course we no longer left that window open enough to allow her access. It was a window that slid sideways. Ginger slid it open far enough to rip the repaired screen and escape again. It was a heavy wooden window but she managed to slide it open. Then we put a stick in to prevent her sliding it. You can guess, can't you? Yup, she pulled the stick out and slid the window open and got out again.

The stick now has an extension on it that sits between the sliders so she can't pull it out. A bit more fiddly for us to put it in but it works now. Just in case this very smart cat would figure out to close the window, remove the stick, reopen the window, re-rip the screen and escape yet again the extension was made too long for that to happen. Yay us, only took us three tries to outsmart our cat. :)

So glad Rupert came back. I suggest a hardware store for some light guage fencing to put in front of your window screen. Has anybody had a cat who can rip the pet safe screens?

catlover2
May 6th, 2010, 12:35 PM
chaser, glad Rupert came back or was in the house all along. It is possible a Coon ripped it as they have such strong claws and forelegs, but hope you can find something suitable to reinforce the screen so it doesn't happen again. Yeah, I know that panicky feeling in the pit of the stomach when one of my pets very rarely manages to sneak out. It is sickening! :yuck:

Dog Dancer
May 6th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I know that sick feeling in your stomach when a pet is missing. Lost one of my indoor cats many years ago and was ill with worry. Only to find him sleeping in the sling of the recliner chair a few hours later. I'd looked under there, but since he was hanging in the sling we didn't see his feet on the floor. I was sooooo sure he'd slipped out a door and would never be seen again! It's horrid. I'm so glad Rupert came back on his own, and quickly.

Chaser
May 6th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I know, it was terrible :(

We had just enough time to search the house and I feel extremely confident he was not inside. He definately got out. Thankfully FH was right when he said "Don't worry, he knows we feed him"....he came back right on cue for breakfast.

I probably overreacted, considering he was a stray before and wandered outside a lot when he was still at Toonces' house. He has his claws and is a smart little guy. But considering the risk of cars in the city....or how ridiculously friendly he is and therefore easy to steal....

He always wears his collar with an ID tag....but I don't have a lot of faith in people to do the right thing I suppose. Plus he gets that collar off on a pretty regular basis.

I am just so very relieved!

Tundra_Queen
May 8th, 2010, 01:17 AM
We had new windows put in a couple of years ago and caught Mirabelle and O'shawnnessey stratching holes in them. :mad:

Maybe u could get some bars that clip on the inside of the window? Sort of like security bars?

edwina
May 9th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I am glad Rupert came home, you really get a sick feeling when they get out. I freaked out when i missed oggie coming out of his house, I missed him with the leash. I almost couldnt talk to him, i was afraid he would run. I panic when it comes to his safety. :(
I havent had any issues so far with screen, but my screens are pretty tuff metal. :pray:

Luvmypitgirls
May 9th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Glad to hear that Rupert is home and ok.
I would say swallow the cost and install some of the screen for pets, just incase.
Hope he doesn't put you thru that again....silly kitty, Rupert, home is where the love is baby and the treats, no more scarring your mama!