Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crate training for Patches

marjo362
May 5th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Hi everyone!

I am looking for some advice again....what a pain hey! For those that don't know, we got Patches, an 11 month old Cockapoo Bischon on the weekend. The previous owner never used his crate except when he did something bad, and called it his time out. I was a bit taken aback by that and anything I have read has said that is a HUGE no-no. We really want to train Patches to sleep in his crate at night. But I am having a heck of a time. I have a nice soft blanket in there for him, and I give him a treat once he gets in there (which is has refused to eat...LOL). But it's getting him in there that I am having the most trouble with. I have to physically pick him up and force him in the crate.

Can anyone offer some advice? I leave the crate in the living room during the day with the door open for him to sniff it out and maybe (wishful thinking) go in it on his own. At night we bring it into our bedroom and put him in it. He whines for awhile and then goes to sleep. If we get up in the night, he also starts to whine for a bit, but then seems to go back to sleep.

Help! :shrug:

Thanks!!

Marcha
May 5th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Hi Marjo,

Have you considered feeding Patches in the crate, and giving him his favourite toys or a bone only in his crate? Giving him his 'special' stuff in there will very likely change the associations he has with it.

Also, when you're putting him in, don't close the door when he's still antsing to get out - just calmly tell him to sit/down/stay again, and when he does that, give him a treat or his fave toy/ bone, then close the door when his body is relaxed. Don't open the door if he's fussing or barking or whining. Praise him when he's calm in the crate.

Make sure that he's had a good bit of exercise before you put him in the crate, so that his body is in wind-down mode - he'll be less likely to resist the time in the crate because his body would already want to relax/sleep.

marjo362
May 6th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks for your advice!

JennieV
May 6th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Marjo, as you stated, he was punished in there, no kidding he doesnt want to stay in. It will take a little time and practicing, and most of all - NO NEGATIVITY associated with the crate. Special treats, praise when he goes in, it should make it a little easier, but it may take some time. You just got him, you need to be patient with him. Its an adjustment and he needs to figure this out.
:goodvibes:
just keep at it! Is he housetrained?

marjo362
May 6th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks! I do intend to just keep at it! It's so hard though...LOL. Yes, thankfully he is house trained!

JennieV
May 6th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks! I do intend to just keep at it! It's so hard though...LOL. Yes, thankfully he is house trained!

in the immortal words of "Find Nemo" - "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..." you should prepare yourself that there will be setbacks, and errors and disappointments, and make sure to not let it get you down... because the REWARDS are SOOOOOOO MUCH more... Be patient, ask questions, research your info and you will do GREAT! :D

Mirela
May 6th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I have used the "extra, extra special" treats to lure my puppy into the crate - he now knows that when I say " go crate" it means that the really good goodies are waiting for him there and runs inside.

marjo362
May 7th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Great idea Mirela!! Thanks!