Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Purring problem

canadiancat
May 3rd, 2010, 09:51 PM
Hello

I have found this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com./watch?v=JE_gipwXjc0 and this cat has the same problem as my cat. Does anyone know what this is or whats causing this? Any input would be great as I wait to get in to see the vet!

14+kitties
May 3rd, 2010, 10:28 PM
That is heartbreaking. I hope you have an appt. made very soon. It could be anything from an obstruction in his throat to ........ who knows....... Only a vet can tell you for sure.
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Dr Lee
May 3rd, 2010, 10:57 PM
I am afraid that this is a serious problem. The cat in the video appears to have difficulty breathing in which may indicate an obstruction of the outer airways. Whether the difficulty is from airway disease or lung disease, this cat needs to see the veterinarian asap. Radiographs (X-Rays) need to be done and likely blood testing.

Cats are Obligate Nose breathers which mean that when they breathe with their mouths, they are in respiratory distress and it is a medical emergency. If after hours care is available, then they cat should be taken there at once.

14+kitties
May 3rd, 2010, 11:00 PM
Thank you for answering so quickly Dr Lee. I hope they come back and see your reply and get the kitty to a vet quickly. :fingerscr :(

canadiancat
May 3rd, 2010, 11:02 PM
He is going in tomorrow at 6pm

14+kitties
May 3rd, 2010, 11:02 PM
He is going in tomorrow at 6pm

Good luck!

canadiancat
May 3rd, 2010, 11:12 PM
Its weird when he sleeps its not there, when he wonders around its not there... it's just when he starts to purr this symptom shows up!! Fingers crossed :pray:

rjesak
May 4th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I have to say, Oscar (who has severe asthma) sounds like this a lot. Now, in Oscar's case, you can often hear it even when he's not purring but, when he does purr, it sounds much, much worse.

It may just be that when your kitty isn't purring, you can't hear the problem. I know that even when I've thought Oscar was doing great because I couldn't hear him wheezing and his breath catching, the vet said his lungs still sounded "horrible".

It may be that your cat won't purr while at the vet but they can still do X-rays to check for obstructions and disease. I'd love to know why breathing problems always seem so much worse when the cat is purring - my vet didn't have an answer for that although she said it's very, very common.

Oscar's asthma has been a real struggle but, most of the time, it's easy to find the trigger or medicate for the problem.

Good luck with your kitty!

catlover2
May 4th, 2010, 09:57 AM
OK, you may not like my question here.....but does anyone smoke? A lot of pets (and children) are getting lung problems because of second-hand smoke, and third-hand smoke, often resulting in Asthma and allergies. Third-hand smoke is when people go outside to smoke, but particles remain in the hair, clothing and lungs and then is transmitted indoors to pets and children with detrimental effects.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=what-is-third-hand-smoke

catlover2
May 13th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Any update on what the vet said is the breathing problem when your cat purrs?