Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Saskatchewan Wildlife!!

pattymac
May 2nd, 2010, 12:26 PM
Quite amazing out here!! I've seen more wildlife in the past few months and waaaay more since it's warmed up than I did living in Ontario for 40 years!!

Deer, by the herd..pronghorns everywhere, coyotes, owls, muskrats, prairie chickens, hawks..even saw a badger one day.

I've never seen a badger in real life, don't want to get too close to one though! Oh and the hares!! Man those are huge bunnies, and superfast!! Bayley chased one once..haha it left her behind in the dust. The second one she saw, she chased for a few feet and then gave up. I think the next time we see one, she probably won't bother! Man though if she managed to grab it, she'd probably come out worse for wear!! I guess they put up quite a fight. There's prairie dogs everywhere too.

I haven't seen any squirrels and there's no raccoons. We do have trees but I guess it's not the right area for squirrels.

NoahGrey
May 2nd, 2010, 02:21 PM
Where did you live in Ontario? I live in the North and see a variety of wildlife daily.

Tundra_Queen
May 2nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Patty...I have a friend that lives in Sask and she goes out for walks with her dog and takes loads of pics of wildlife. She has seen what u have and she told me she is very careful around the coyotes especially for her dog,,,she pronounces way differently that we do though. LOL

Sounds like u are really enjoying your new life!! But ummm I noticed u didn't post pics of your adventure? :D

Debbie

pattymac
May 2nd, 2010, 05:38 PM
We lived a half hour north of Kingston, there were lots of deer around and wild turkeys but we didn't see them too often...darned trees get in the way!!

I bought a pair of good binoculars, so I can look around at the hills around the spring and watch for coyotes...haven't seen any yet at the spring but there's lots of tracks. I've heard them yipping at the edge of town quite a few times in the evenings. They don't seem to be quite as big as the ones I saw in Ontario. Most people here seem to pronounce coyotee as cayute.

Once the weather gets a bit nicer, sunny days etc. We had April in March so we're paying for it this week and next. I want to get a better camera so I can get better pics. I put a few more in the pics section.