Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

We have a new trainer!

pattymac
May 2nd, 2010, 10:19 AM
I was starting to think that I'd have to drive 2.5 hours to Saskatoon to get any good classes but then the lady who runs a boarding kennel/groomer also teaches and as an added bonus, she's a CGC evaluator!

So I took Bayley out to her place for toenail clipping and discovered that yes, she teaches. So needless to say I was thrilled. Unfortunately her regular classes, my work schedule etc didn't jive so we set up private classes. I've always wanted to be able to do that.

Yesterday was our first class...a bit chilly out, she does everything outside. Gotta love that north wind! I like the way she teaches. First she sort of interviewed me, without Bayley in the picture (first time) The she stayed in the house and had me get Bayley and bring her to the house. Well of course I have SPAZ dog on the end of the leash...hmmm yup of course, trainer watching all this...ya she's trained..hahahahahah:laughing: So then she wanted to see how well she understands basic commands, sit and down. I ask her to sit, ok she sits, I ask for a down..blank look from dog!! Alrighty then!! Just love it when they make you look like a complete dork!!

So then I told her that she does understand 'heel' by this time she's probably thinking riiiggghhht!! Well she does actually heel...phew! Lots of praise for me from trainer! I have to work on the sit when stopping so that's our homework for this week. We are also going to work on lots of sit, no down work yet. I asked her how to stop her from pulling on leash, very simple answer, 'don't let her!!' keep her close and she won't be able to get any momentum to pull...she's very straight forward in her method. I mentioned that dog training is getting very confusing these days and she totally agreed. She's been training a long time and has seen alot of stuff that she's glad isn't being used anymore. She doesn't implement any type of 'correcting' until she's 100% sure that the dog completely understands what's being asked.

We also did a bit of getting in and out of the van. She explained that I need to be in control before her feet hit the ground. Makes total sense, that way she doesn't get out and immediately start running around like a spaz.

Not once did she utter the words 'alpha' or 'dominant'!!

Tundra_Queen
May 2nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Hi Patty,

Either I didn't know u had a dog or I had forgotten. How old is she? Did u have her when u left Ontario? And can we see pics pleaseeeee???

Debbie

pattymac
May 2nd, 2010, 04:30 PM
No problem, she's 4 this year. She's the one on the couch and swimming in the spring in the pics section. I got her when she was 14 weeks old. Unfortunately she didn't get much socialization before I got her..but she's getting better.

cassiek
May 2nd, 2010, 05:57 PM
pattymac,

Are you in Regina by any chance or near there? If it doesn't work out with your current trainer, a friend of mine is a dog trainer in Regina and is wonderful. She does private lessons as well as group lessons, and has experience with many behavioural issues. She recently just moved to Regina from Saskatoon.

Hope all goes well! :goodvibes:

TeriM
May 2nd, 2010, 10:28 PM
Yeah, it is great to have a trainer that you feel comfortable with :thumbs up.

Good luck :).

pattymac
May 3rd, 2010, 09:55 AM
We're about 5 hours from Regina, pity..there's a really good pet store there. Have to make a trip down some long weekend. I like Regina better than Saskatoon.