Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat/dog food

binkybuff
May 1st, 2010, 01:39 AM
My cat (a tortie) has always been a crunchie food type of cat, however,she has taking to trying to eat some of the dogs soft food.

I give the dog a dessert spoon of the Beneful soft food, along with her kibbles.

My questions is: does anyone know if giving some of the Beneful soft to the cat is harmful to her.? She gets about 1 teaspoon. I think she likes the chunks of food, and from what I see of the cat food here it is all mush.

The Beneful has pieces of meat, and vegetables, depending upon which package one uses.

I am leary of giving the cat some of the pouched soft food for cats, as my old cat was on it, and died with kidney failure. This was just prior to all the food recall.

Any advice is appreciated.
take care
binky

sugarcatmom
May 1st, 2010, 12:05 PM
Personally, I'm not a fan of Beneful for a dog or a cat. Too much wheat gluten and modified corn starch, plus other less than desirable ingredients (by-products, soy flour, etc).

I think she likes the chunks of food, and from what I see of the cat food here it is all mush.

There are a few chunkier foods around that might appeal to her more than the loaf-style. Wellness makes a gluten-free pouched food (http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/products.aspx?pet=cat&ft=4) that would be way healthier for her than the Beneful . There is also Halo's Spot's Stew (http://shop.halopets.com/Canned-Cat-Food), which is just like, well, stew. Can be found at Petsmart. Merrick (http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/canned_cat_food.php) makes some stew-like flavours. If you shake the can and it sounds juicy and sloshy, it's more likely to be chunky-ish than if it just goes "thunk" or doesn't make any sound. Another decent chunky food is Avoderm Select Cuts (http://www.breeders-choice.com/cat_products/avoderm_selecutcan.htm). Try not to feed the fishy-flavours too often though. Weruva (http://www.weruva.com/) is a great chunky food if you can find it, although it tends to be quite expensive. The company even refuses to make kibble for cats because they know how bad it is for them.

The Beneful has pieces of meat, and vegetables, depending upon which package one uses.

Those aren't actually pieces of real meat. They're just a mushy rendered meat-like substance with thickeners added and re-formed to pretend to be meat. Kinda like particle board.

I am leary of giving the cat some of the pouched soft food for cats, as my old cat was on it, and died with kidney failure. This was just prior to all the food recall.

Understandable. Most pouched foods are not a great choice anyway (Wellness being one of the exceptions). It's the wheat gluten that's the problem, and was the common denominator in the recall that caused so much illness and death (because of tampering with melamine to make the gluten seem higher in protein).

Maybe you can find some other wet foods that your kitty will like. An all kibble diet is still one of the biggest factors in the development of renal insufficiency (and numerous other health problems). Here are some tips for transitioning a kibble addict to canned: http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitioning_Dry_Food_Addicts_to_Canned_Food_

binkybuff
May 1st, 2010, 01:09 PM
Sugarcatmom, that is exactly the information I was looking for. :cloud9:Thank you, Thank you.

I had just started with the Beneful for Koko, as she was trying to eat the dogs. Koko is a Tortie as stated, however, has only weight about 8 pounds since the day I got her 5 years ago.

I was always concerned that she was far to skinny, as I could feel the back bone and almost count the vertebrae. Since she started eating the Beneful, I noticed that there is a bit more meat/fat on the backbone area. I won't let her get too heavy, but would feel much better if she weight about 10 pounds. Stretched out, she is 31 inches from nose to tail, with a long lean body.

I have had her on Acana dry, and she had free feed. I will probably leave the Acana for free feed, but make sure she gets more of the wet.

I have to get some food for her anyway, so this is timely, will venture over to Petsmart and see what they have here. Will just get 1 can to try, different flavours, that way, I won't be losing a whole bunch if she doesn't take to it at all. However, now that she has been on the Beneful, I think the transition will be easier.

This forum is great, and I do appreciate all the help I have got when asking for it.

Again, Sugarcatmom, a huge Thank you for your advice. :thumbs up

Have a great day,
take care
binky

sugarcatmom
May 1st, 2010, 03:52 PM
Will just get 1 can to try, different flavours, that way, I won't be losing a whole bunch if she doesn't take to it at all. However, now that she has been on the Beneful, I think the transition will be easier.

Great idea. You could also mix just the tiniest bit of the new food in with a tsp of the Beneful and do a really slow introduction that way, gradually decreasing the amount of Beneful. Many cats can be quite suspicious of anything new, but with patience and perseverance, will eventually be converted. Pulverizing some kibble (or favourite treats like Temptations or Greenies) and sprinkling it on top of the wet also works for some cats (that's one of the tricks I used to transition my kitty).

Maybe your cat is a copycat :laughing: eater, and if you give some of the new food to your dog first, she'll think: "hey, it didn't kill her, maybe it's not so bad".

Sometimes cats won't like a food the first time they try it, but warm up to the concept after repeat exposure. You can leave a small amount out in a little dish next to the regular food and maybe when you aren't looking, your tortie girl will sample it. I did end up throwing out quite a bit of food in the beginning (if only I had some strays around at the time!), but it was worth it.

rainbow
May 2nd, 2010, 02:55 PM
I would also stop feeding the canned Beneful to your dog as well and switch to a brand like Go Natural, EVO, Wellness, etc. :thumbs up

What brand of kibble is your dog eating?