Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

YAY! My farmer had their cat spayed!

cassiek
May 1st, 2010, 01:25 AM
My job entails dealing with farmers on a day to day basis. More often than not, their mentality is that it would be insane to spend money to have a dog or cat spayed or neutered. That's just the way it is (and I'm not saying this is true for all farmers - so please no one get offended!) Usually dogs and cats are treated like one of the livestock and usually little care is given to them. The mentality is different than most city folk towards their dogs or cats. It is something I constantly struggle with, but usually end up keeping my mouth zipped tight.

Well, one of my farmers this week had their cat SPAYED! I am so proud of them! I have a few who have got their dogs fixed, but I think this is the 1st time one of my customers has had a cat fixed! Although they complained about the price (they got it done for about $150 - dirt cheap IMO!), and she had a litter of kittens first :frustrated: they did the right thing in the end even saying "We certainly do not want to contribute to the pet over-population. She is our baby. We did this with her welfare in mind, and it will improve her overall health as well"!

YAY for small victories! :thumbs up

cassiek
May 1st, 2010, 01:30 AM
Almost forgot to mention... the other day I was out at a different farmer's place and noticed his pup had her belly shaved. I assumed she had been spayed, but played dumb and asked why. He said he had taken her in to be spayed and vaccinated! :thumbs up We also got talking about the importance of dental care etc.!

TeriM
May 1st, 2010, 01:44 AM
Woohoo :thumbs up.

Cathy1
May 1st, 2010, 12:03 PM
I have been to a few farms with alot of pregnant cats but all they say is the more the better because it keeps the mice population down. My sister and BIL own a dairy farm on a dead end road and alot of people drop their cats off there, usually very pregnant. After they have kittens they are fixed and needled. They did have 37 cats but now they have 6 because a couple of farmers came by and took a few and some went to homes. Yesterday I was at my sisters and saw a very pregnant cat that had showed up a couple days ago.:(

cassiek
May 2nd, 2010, 03:05 AM
Cathy1,

Cats for sure have a job on many farms... but I do know of a few places I go to that when their cats have kittens, they get frustrated and dump them (and the kittens) off in the middle of nowhere to starve, be eaten, etc. :o :( :wall:

They get pissed cause she keeps having kittens... um, hello! Easy fix: have her spayed! :)

And it is unfortunate, I also know of many places where city folk have dumped off boxes of kittens on some farmer's doorstep assuming he should just deal with it. :yell:

Love4himies
May 2nd, 2010, 09:31 AM
That is wonderful, cassiek, even if it is one farmer, he may talk to another farmer and convince another farmer, and so on and so on. It always starts with one person :thumbs up :highfive: :grouphug:

cassiek
May 2nd, 2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks L4H, it always brings me a little happiness when I hear of yet another person taking their pet in to get s/n :thumbs up it makes me even happier when they realize just why it is so so so so important!

ancientgirl
May 2nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
It's so nice to see some people taking responsibility for keeping the pet overpopulation down.:thumbs up

rainbow
May 2nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
Glad to hear about the success in your area getting the cats/dogs spayed. :thumbs up

How would you like to come here and convince my new neighbours (who are not farmers btw) to get their dogs spayed. :wall:

Tundra_Queen
May 2nd, 2010, 09:15 PM
That is great news!

cassiek
May 2nd, 2010, 09:44 PM
Hey rainbow,

Haha, what's their address? JK. Ok, taking my own thread a little off topic here... but I'll be honest, I'm not usually too forgiving/nice to people when they give me their BS list of reasons for not having their pet s/n. Too often I see the sad result of the pet overpopulation, and it has hardened me up alot. I will hate to see myself when I am 40...50...60 and beyond if I feel this way now in my life about some people and their lack of responsibility for their pets.

Seeing as these were my customers (and my commission depends on their business) haha, I never try to push any of them. Instead when they complain about litters, spraying etc. I kindly mention that if their pets were fixed, it wouldn't happen. Unfortunately, as with this case, they waited too long and she did have a litter before they spayed her. But at least they chose to have her spayed before it happened again.

Some people can be so difficult to get the message through to. I know I regulaly get calls at the humane society here where I come thisclose to just screaming at someone over the absolute idiot things I hear come out of people's mouths. However, I try to remind myself that screaming will not help the situation and I try to remain polite :laughing: :rolleyes:

What's the situation with your neighbour? Same ol BS story?