Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can condo rules tell me where my dog can and cannot pee?"

alisonog
April 29th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I live in a high-rise condo. I have a little dog that finally is house broken and has found his spot on the grass in front of the building. Same spot every time. I pick up after him and even pick up some of the litter that people have dropped there. I have now been told that there is a new condo rule that dogs are not allowed to be at the front of the building. Can they do this? What kind of trouble will I get into if I break this rule? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

kungfuMao
April 29th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Hi Alisonog! Welcome :D

Sorry to hear about your condo issues. I don't live in the same province as you so I don't know how different/similar the strata laws are in Ontario, but here, a strata could likely approve a bylaw like that. If you break the rule, they would probably fine you.

Hope things smooth out for you and your :dog:

alisonog
April 30th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Thank you for your reply. It just seems so silly that a building that allows dogs can set up such limits on its tiny amount of green space!

Melinda
April 30th, 2010, 06:05 AM
its actually so that the front of the building stays nice looking without the brown grass that dog urine produces, after 3 fines you could be evicted

aslan
April 30th, 2010, 07:09 AM
alisonog,,,read your agreement with the condo association very carefully..if it has a listing under pets stating something like...pets shall not do damage to interior or exterior of common area's blah blah,,,then yes they can enforce this new rule...if it doesn't have a statement along those lines then they can't. As a former condo owner i've had to go to the association meeting before so had to learn alot..When you bought the condo you agreed to and signed a set of rules,,neither you or the condo association can just up and change those rules without a group vote. Seriously, check into your rights where this new rule is concerned.

Dog Dancer
April 30th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Alisonog, welcome to the board. I used to live in a townhouse complex and yes there were rules about the pets. If this building you live in allows dogs, and all the owners decide it's easiest to let their pets urinate right in front of the doors, how long do you think this little green area will stay green and attractive? Let alone how long before it starts to smell like a urinal.

I personally feel that as a responsible pet owner, which I am sure you are, you have an obligation to take your dog away from this area to do his business. Urine burns are ugly and mostly unavoidable. Your dog is small carry him away to a spot that is more appropriate. Your problem then goes away.

I bring my dog to work with me every day, but out of respect for the other people in the building, and as a matter of common courtesy, I do not allow her to use the planted and grass areas around our property to do her business. I take her out and walk her in the field on the other side of the road, or I drive her over to a park a couple blocks away at lunch. She absolutely never urinates on our planted areas. It just keeps the peace and is well worth the effort. Just my :2cents:.

alisonog
May 1st, 2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input. The only rules concerning pets given in the condo rules that I signed are concerning the number, no breeding, and must be kept on a leash, under control and owners must clean up after them. There is, however, a statement saying that the animal can be removed if deemed to be a nuisance at the sole discretion of the Board or property manager. Would this give them the power to create new rules with regards to pets (such as the all pets must be muzzled, and exit through the back doors). It just seems silly, because it is supposed to be a "luxury" high-rise, but the lawn is filled with cigarette butts, and it is only at the front of the building where the "rule" applies. At the back and sides, there is an even smaller strip of grass which lies directly under windows and in front of balconies of the units there. I suppose I shall just retrain him, and "suck it up" while I look for a house!

Dog Dancer
May 1st, 2010, 05:08 PM
Sadly in condo living we do have to suck up alot of things for the peace of all! Now that I have a house my husband tells me where the dogs can pee and where they can't :wall:. Still they are not allowed to pee in the front yard because it leaves spots on the lawn and it looks ugly! Sometimes we have to suck up waaaay more than we'd like to.:frustrated:

alisonog
May 3rd, 2010, 07:38 PM
I've made a compromise ... well, he has made a compromise. I can get him to pee at the side of the building, but he will not poop anywhere else. I figure as long as I pick that up, it isn't harming anything. :angel:I wish he would go when take him for a walk, but he is very particular about "his spot" ... well as "particular" as one can be in a shared green-space!:dog: