Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rhino - what I did to cure...could it be?

BenMax
April 28th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I thought I would ask my cat savvy fellow Pets people what they think of this:

I picked up a female cat that was going down due to a very bad case of rhino. Indeed she was in a horrific state and I was really unsure if I could cure her before she expired. And yes...she did see a vet and was on meds.

After days of green gook, weeping eyes, laboured breathing, refusal to eat and refusal to drink water, I decided to consult elsewhere.

The meds prescribed was zithromax syrup..once a day. I also consulted another shelter for input as I was certain I would loose her and asked for their advice. Their remedy was very simple:

A. Lots of fresh air. So, I put a crate on my balcony and not directly in the sunlight, but enough so that she felt the warmth.
B. A walk in the grass. I put a leash on her little frail body and walked her outside.
C. Brushing.
D. Lots of human contact as she cannot be around my cats until she is better.

As a result, she started to eat ON HER OWN. She also started to drink water without me forcing her.

What a huge difference this made. She perked right up after being outside.

Your input would be great if this could somehow relieve and maybe even encourage an animal to survive. Your thoughts?

chico2
April 28th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Wow Ben-Max,I do believe fresh air and sunshine is good medicin,but this is amazing,she's a lucky little girl,hopefully she'll recover:pray:
I really know nothing about Rhino,but if whatever you are doing works,that's great:thumbs up

BenMax
April 28th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Wow Ben-Max,I do believe fresh air and sunshine is good medicin,but this is amazing,she's a lucky little girl,hopefully she'll recover:pray:
I really know nothing about Rhino,but if whatever you are doing works,that's great:thumbs up

She was literally dying and hopes for survival was very slim, but I took the gamble regardless. I changed the meds only AFTER I did the outdoors thing. Literally, I would wake up at 3 am and bring her on the balcony and tell her that 'this' is what she needs to live for.

I am going to try this with another cat that is written off after she is healthy and finds a home. I want to see if this was a fluke or if this really could be the trick.

luckypenny
April 28th, 2010, 05:23 PM
If a stroking a pet can bring up levels of endorphins and oxytoxin, and lower stress hormones (cortisol) in humans and help them recover from illnesses faster....I believe it works the other way around as well.

Thank you for taking this girl in :grouphug:.

BenMax
April 28th, 2010, 05:25 PM
If a stroking a pet can bring up levels of endorphins and oxytoxin, and lower stress hormones (cortisol) in humans and help them recover from illnesses faster....I believe it works the other way around as well.

Thank you for taking this girl in :grouphug:.

There is something to be said about this LP. I forgot to mention that I also give her messages twice a day. Maybe relieves the toxins?

Could it be this simple?

luckypenny
April 28th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I don't think it's a cure but, I do believe it can strengthen the immune system and fight off illnesses faster :shrug:.

BenMax
April 28th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I don't think it's a cure but, I do believe it can strengthen the immune system and fight off illnesses faster :shrug:.

Good point as rhino cannot be cured per say. But it has definately (I think) speeds up the recovery process.

Love4himies
April 28th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I agree with LP, your love (magic touch :angel:) and the fresh air strengthened her immune system, which allowed her to heal. Cats in shelters just get so depressed, that once they get sick they don't recover as easy as one living in a loving home.

Wow, you saved another life :angel::grouphug::thumbs up

14+kitties
April 28th, 2010, 06:22 PM
My catty cats all came down with the sniffles and gooky eyes last year. The meds they were on was supposed to be given for 10 days. After about 4 or 5 I didn't have to give more.
My vet feels that cats should be outside for at least part of the day as long as they are in an area they can not escape from. That is one reason she wants to come out to see my catuary. She wants to do the same for her fosters. She does not feel it can "heal them" but she does feel it ups their immune system a little.

Great job my friend! :grouphug:

Tundra_Queen
April 28th, 2010, 07:50 PM
BM that is great! I don't know what rhino is...but I believe in a loving touch making an amazing difference in healing!

Debbie

susieqt
April 28th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Very good news, Benmax! I really believe that good food and a no-stress environment is the best thing for rhino; if is, after all, basically a cold like we get; it usually just runs its course if the cat is really taken care of and is happy!:cat:

BenMax
April 29th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Very good news, Benmax! I really believe that good food and a no-stress environment is the best thing for rhino; if is, after all, basically a cold like we get; it usually just runs its course if the cat is really taken care of and is happy!:cat:

I think that is why you have had such success. And I just want to thank you for your guidance as well. I also contacted Carole from the other no kill shelter and she also gave me tips. As you know I send many cats there that would otherwise have been PTS...and she has had 100% success with recovery.

I was very frightened for this girl as you know...and I said I would never do that again....but of course I will. I want to see if the theory actually did work.

:offtopic: I am looking for an exotic cat: Siamese or oriental. If you get one, please let me know as my daughter is looking...:)