Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dr Lee - Is it just bruising?

14+kitties
April 28th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I know I am just being a big worrywart. :fingerscr Just wanted to be safe than sorry. :o
Around the end of March I found an abscess on Storm's side/back area.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=69375
I kept an eye on it and took her to the vet and she has been treated. You can see from the pictures her abscess is healed very well. No swelling. Just this black area about 2.5 inches in diameter. It was a dark blue last week and is getting darker. Doesn't seem to be fading at all which is why I am concerned. It is not any warmer than the rest of her either. She did have a vet appt this afternoon but they just called to cancel. My vet is stuck in surgery all day. Her partner is stuck in England. :rolleyes:
So is it just bruising or could it be something else. My thoughts on how she got her injury was another cat, a raccoon (unlikely because they probably wouldn't have given up with just a bite), or a possum.
Thanks in advance for what I am assuming is going to be a straightforward "It's a bruise, dummy" answer. :fingerscr

Dog Dancer
April 28th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Who could blame you for worrying 14+? Hopefully Dr. Lee will be along shortly with an opinion.

luckypenny
April 28th, 2010, 04:31 PM
14+, does that look like it's under the skin or the skin itself that's changed color?

:grouphug:

hazelrunpack
April 28th, 2010, 05:06 PM
That's what I was wondering, LP! :fingerscr it's just a change in pigmentation and nothing under the skin!

Did you PM Dr Lee, 14+? :grouphug:

14+kitties
April 28th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Who could blame you for worrying 14+? Hopefully Dr. Lee will be along shortly with an opinion.

:grouphug: Thanks DD. :(

14+, does that look like it's under the skin or the skin itself that's changed color?

:grouphug:

It's the skin I think. When I pinch her skin loosely it doesn't change colour. That is why I am thinking bruise. It isn't bothering her at all.

14+kitties
April 28th, 2010, 05:11 PM
That's what I was wondering, LP! :fingerscr it's just a change in pigmentation and nothing under the skin!

Did you PM Dr Lee, 14+? :grouphug:

I am almost 100% positive it is bruising. I just wanted to make sure. I can't get into the vet now till next week to see. The skin around the area is ok. I checked. Like I said, just a worrywart. :(
And yes, I did. :thumbs up

Love4himies
April 28th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Oh my goodness, you don't need another thing to worry about :cry: :grouphug:.

Sending lots of :goodvibes: that it is just bruising and will eventually heal.

14+kitties
April 28th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Oh my goodness, you don't need another thing to worry about :cry: :grouphug:.

Sending lots of :goodvibes: that it is just bruising and will eventually heal.

Thanks L4. That's not the least of it. Ace has a limp. I think one of his claws is growing into the pad of his front paw. So now I have to try to catch him, and he goes into hiding when he sees me lately :(, and get him in to the vet. He will probably need to have that claw removed. Poor baby.
The receptionist told me there is nothing they can give me I can put in his food to make him drowsy so I have to take the trap in and try to convince him he wants in it.
I just need some time .....

Dr Lee
April 28th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I am assuming that in all respects other than the "blue" color, that the area appears healed? Skin "feels" normal; area is not painful; no other problems exist?

With this being the case, the area appears to have dermal melanosis or postinflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH). In English - areas of the skin that have had deep inflammation to the dermal layer of the skin (ie from an abscess) can sometimes lead to excess pigmentation in response to inflammation. Another common place to see it is when dogs with chronic allergies get dark coloration of their bellies. Luckily when the hair regrows, you will not see it. The hyperpigmentation can go away with time.

When to worry.
When the skin feels bumpy or thick.
The color changes appear to spread beyond the original area of inflammation.
There feels like there is a mass underneath.
The area is warm or painful.

Getting a vet to check it is always a good idea as I can only see a couple of pictures (well done pictures though :) ). They can tell you for sure but at this point I am not concerned.

Hope that helps. :)

14+kitties
April 28th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I am assuming that in all respects other than the "blue" color, that the area appears healed? Skin "feels" normal; area is not painful; no other problems exist?

With this being the case, the area appears to have dermal melanosis or postinflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH). In English - areas of the skin that have had deep inflammation to the dermal layer of the skin (ie from an abscess) can sometimes lead to excess pigmentation in response to inflammation. Another common place to see it is when dogs with chronic allergies get dark coloration of their bellies. Luckily when the hair regrows, you will not see it. The hyperpigmentation can go away with time.

When to worry.
When the skin feels bumpy or thick.
The color changes appear to spread beyond the original area of inflammation.
There feels like there is a mass underneath.
The area is warm or painful.

Getting a vet to check it is always a good idea as I can only see a couple of pictures (well done pictures though :) ). They can tell you for sure but at this point I am not concerned.

Hope that helps. :)

In other words - It's a bruise, dummy. Or close enough! :D Skin feels normal with no swelling, no heat, no pain. :thumbs up
Thanks Dr Lee! I appreciate you setting this ol' gals mind at rest. Stormy is still going to the vet on my next day off for shots so she will be checked over. Thanks very much!!

hazelrunpack
April 29th, 2010, 09:39 AM
:highfive: Great news, 14+ You didn't need any new worries :grouphug:

mummummum
April 29th, 2010, 09:41 AM
:thumbs up Phew! :thumbs up

Dog Dancer
April 29th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Well thankfully Dr. Lee was able to put your mind at rest until Storm's next vet visit. You've certainly had enough to worry about. Good luck now with Ace. What's his favourite treat??? What's he going to get to lure him in....

Dr Lee
April 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I am glad that I was able to help. If I could make a geeky and persnickity point however - the color change that occurs after a wound has healed is not technically bruising (although it is just as benign :) ) Bruising is technically blood under the skin. This is melanin pigment. Similiar to a giant freckle. Thus it will not change in color as the body reasorbs the blood or change as gravity affects it. Nor will you get the characteristic green tinge that goes along with hemoglobin breakdown into biliverdin (the reason that a black eye has greenish parts to it).

So yes - melanin pigment is benign. Your question is a both a great question and a common one. So no worries and let the vet just confirm what we are thinking. Take care. :pawprint:

Tundra_Queen
April 29th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Yeah 14+!!!! That is good news!

14+kitties
April 29th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I am glad that I was able to help. If I could make a geeky and persnickity point however - the color change that occurs after a wound has healed is not technically bruising (although it is just as benign :) ) Bruising is technically blood under the skin. This is melanin pigment. Similiar to a giant freckle. Thus it will not change in color as the body reasorbs the blood or change as gravity affects it. Nor will you get the characteristic green tinge that goes along with hemoglobin breakdown into biliverdin (the reason that a black eye has greenish parts to it).

So yes - melanin pigment is benign. Your question is a both a great question and a common one. So no worries and let the vet just confirm what we are thinking. Take care. :pawprint:

I apologize Dr Lee. You are right. There is a difference between the two. Not geeky or persnickity. Storm sure isn't bothered by it.
Again, thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

Love4himies
April 29th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I am so glad it is nothing :thumbs up :D :grouphug: :highfive: