Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A puppy's upset tummy

hersh469
September 3rd, 2004, 04:17 PM
Helly Everyone,

I was just wondering if someone can help me with something. A couple of friends of mine have dogs. They want to take their animal on car rides, but found if the animal is in a moving car for more than 10 minutes, they end up being sick in the car. Is there anything you can use to prevent this? Does the animal eventually grow out of this stage? Would something crazy like Graval work? If anyone has any hints or tips, I would love to here them so I can pass it along to my friends.
Thank you. :)

heeler's rock!
September 3rd, 2004, 05:00 PM
Hey Hersh! WELCOME ABOARD!!! (You'll find it hard to leave once you get started!!! :D )

As for your question, my puppy did that when I first brought her home. Surprisingly enough, it is actually quite common for dogs and puppies to get car sick. One way that might help is by keeping them in a crate during your rides. That way they're not moving around so much. Also, don't go right after they eat. You can also try dog restraints like doggie seatbelts to stop them from moving so much. My puppy just grew out of it and loves car rides now. Maybe try qorking up their tolerance level. Like, if they can only go for 10 min., try 15 next time, then 20, so on and so on. Also, if they're gone for long periods of time, stop frequently for water, and bathroom breaks.

I'm not sure if you can buy anything to settle their tummies that will be good for them. I do not think Gravol will be good for them! :D There may be others on here that might know of dog friendly tummy remedies. Hopefully they will just grow out of it. Hope this helps somewhat!!! :D

hersh469
September 4th, 2004, 12:21 AM
Thanks Heeler's. I will let my friends know of a couple of these ideas.
They really are greatly appreciated.

shan
September 7th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Actually, Gravol is fine for dogs! I talked to my vet about this before I went on a 9hr drive with Annie. I was told as long as it is dosed correctly, and you use the childrens chewable type, it is fine. As far as the dose goes, I am not sure, they justt told me to give Annie so many milligrams. The vet had a big book he looked it up in. Annie still got sick, but I purposely underdosed her a bit because I was worried about her reaction. I have also found that Annie gets sick less if I have her carrier in the front seat. I try to feed her at least an hour to hour and a half ahead of the time we will be leaving.

heeler's rock!
September 7th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Thanks shan! That's good to know! :D

glasslass
September 9th, 2004, 12:12 PM
A flow of fresh air can help too. Maybe adjust a vent so it aims at the carrier.