Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lost two cats

Morganounet
April 27th, 2010, 06:07 PM
We last saw our cat Pastelle on April 4th 2010. We did the usual (posters, vet, animals society, etc.) without success.
Yesterday our cat Leila disappeared as well.

Both are 4 years old and go out often (usually close to home and rarely more than two hours in a row on warm days). This is very strange.

We also add phone calls telling "a neibourgh had the cat". One was from a woman pretending to be English speaking but speaking in French telling she had our cat and giving us "her" address and name. When we got there, there was only this old woman who had no clue of what we where talking about (and our visit frightened her). So this is worrying.

We live in the Longueuil area (in Lemoyne) in Québec.

luckypenny
April 27th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Have you knocked on all your neighbors doors informing them your cats are missing? If you haven't already, go visit (don't call, go) to the SCDD in St. Hubert http://www.scdd.qc.ca/cms/index.php?page=nous-rejoindre There's also the SPCA Monteregie in case someone found your cats and brought them there http://www.spcamonteregie.com/contact.php

If your cats go out often, you may have neighbors who don't appreciate their visits and "gifts." It's really important to try to speak to everyone who lives in close proximity. If they have been found or come home, please consider making them indoor cats only...it can save their lives.

Good luck :fingerscr.

Mirela
April 27th, 2010, 07:17 PM
We last saw our cat Pastelle on April 4th 2010. We did the usual (posters, vet, animals society, etc.) without success.
Yesterday our cat Leila disappeared as well.

Both are 4 years old and go out often (usually close to home and rarely more than two hours in a row on warm days). This is very strange.

We also add phone calls telling "a neibourgh had the cat". One was from a woman pretending to be English speaking but speaking in French telling she had our cat and giving us "her" address and name. When we got there, there was only this old woman who had no clue of what we where talking about (and our visit frightened her). So this is worrying.

We live in the Longueuil area (in Lemoyne) in Québec.

I don't want to scare you even more but I you're right to be worried; this sound personal to me, like somebody actually took your cats for one reson or another....

Frenchy
April 28th, 2010, 08:25 AM
And you also lost your dog in 2006 .... I'm real sorry but , pets should be kept inside.

this does sound like someone took your cats , and same with your dog in 2006.

LP gave you the places to look for your cats , good luck.

Dog Dancer
April 29th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Yes this does sound more and more like it's personal. I would definitely go to all the vets and pounds/SPCA's personally to look for them. The workers often fail to identify a pet just from a phone call. If somebody took them on purpose they probably dropped them off somewhere. And I agree that if you do find them they should ABSOLUTELY be kept indoors or else you will certainly lose them again.

Morganounet
April 29th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Hi Frenchie, all,
You're right - our dog was stolen a few years ago. The reason why I came back to this forum is that it’s member at the time were very supportive (and, again,many thanks for your suggestions). As you may already have guessed, I am not a big forum user.

Where I don't agree with you is on the "should be kept inside". This debate is long-standing and won't be resolved any time soon. But let me put my two-cent in.... I can’t resist after such a righteous accusation.

Let's first say that although not back-up by any study that I know of, I tend to believe cats and humans are, most of the time, safer at home. But, is "safe" THE thing about life?

I have had cats for close to 50 years now and most have lived long and (I hope) happy lives (two died at the very respectable age of 18).

On an individual level, I think not permitting cats to go out is stating that my emotional comfort is more important than their pleasure and freedom.

On a societal level, it says "it is normal that public space be dangerous and what we have to do about it is not going there”. It invites a society where pets are either a nuisance to us great humans or poor little things that ought to be protected. Neither one of these social affirmations is my cup of tea.

But, as I said, this debate is long-standing...

14+kitties
April 29th, 2010, 06:20 PM
50 years ago there were not: the sheer volume of vehicles on the streets; the large number of dogs and other cats that may harm/kill our cats; the poisons being put out, either intentionally or not, that can kill our cats; the recklessness of some human beings when it comes to a small cats; the diseases that can be passed on to your cats from other cats; the people who intentionally hurt cats because they "get a kick out of it"; the people who take other people's cats to labs so they can make money; the people who use cats as bait for snakes, dog fights, etc.

Times change. Maybe we should start valuing our pets and change as well. They are our responsibility and therefore we need to keep them safe. There are many fences out there that keep cats safe in "their area" so they benefit from the great out doors and they can be safe. Just my :2cents:

Now - some suggestions to try to get your cats back: put out an article of their favourite person's clothing so they can smell it and hopefully find their way back home, put out their litter box (if they have one), their beds/blankets, and their food. Go to the shelters nearby. Please do not phone. There are many cats turned in in a day's time. Ask to see the sick room and also the feral room as a cat that is trapped may "act feral" and may have been put in there. I will just warn you - they are the first to be put down so act quickly. Go out very early in the morning (5ish) or late at night (11ish) with a flashlight and a bag of their favourite treats to try to lure them out. Go to the neighbours in your area and ask them to check their sheds, under their decks, anywhere a cat may get trapped or go to hide if it is injured from a fight or from being hit by a car. Put up posters. Phone whoever is responsible for picking up road kill in your area and ask if they have picked up any cats looking like yours. Hopefully you will be able to at least find out who has them or what happened to them. Good luck.

One more thing - If I thought a neighbour or someone who may wish harm to one of mine had one or two of my cats I would be hammering on doors trying to find them. If you have had these calls then I would think someone knows where yours are. JMO

Love4himies
April 29th, 2010, 06:24 PM
It does sound like somebody is taking your pets. Do you know your neighbours well? Are there any that you suspect would take your cats?

I was thinking if your kitties are used to going outside, they won't be happy to stay inside 24/7 and may drive the people crazy trying to get outside, so if there is a neighbour you suspect, perhaps keep an eye on their windows to see if you see your cats inside.

Good luck.

Dog Dancer
April 30th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but my opinion is that if I had lost that many pets in such a short time I would either move to a better neighbourhood or keep my pets indoors. 50 years ago our kids were able to walk to school and play outside unsupervised also, but sadly this is no longer the case for humans either let alone defenseless animals.

L4H, I don't think her neighbours would keep the cats if they stole them, although it can't hurt to look. My guess is they are annoying the neighbours and the neighbours will take them to a pound. Maybe far from home so they are not easily tracked down.

I truly do wish you luck finding your kitties. I hope they are safe.

Morganounet
September 25th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Hello all,
Pastelle is back! After close to 5 months of disappearance. She was rooming in an area located close to 5km from home. Nice people fed her and lately "invited" her in their garage (their two cats didn't agree to have her in the house). With winter looming they decide to (again) put posts. One of them made it at our vet.

She is back and happy (having reinstated all of her good and bad habits in less than two days.

There are a lot of nice people out there.

Thanks for all your suggestions along the way.

Morganounet

14+kitties
September 25th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I wish I could tell you she will stay at home now. But she probably won't. 5km. Poor sweetie. I wish her all the best.

mikischo
September 25th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I'm very glad to hear that Pastelle is back home.:thumbs up

Thanks for the update.

Love4himies
September 25th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I am so glad she made it back home :thumbs up :grouphug:. Any word on Leila?

Hopefully she will be kept safe now :pray:. I do agree with kitties needing outside time, but only if it is done safely. I don't allow my cats outside by themselves, just like I wouldn't allow my 5 year old to wonder around.