Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Training aid/collar - Training Books

placid
April 27th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Hi all. I'll be bringing my new GSD pup home in a couple of months and want to finish "preparing" for her. I'm thinking ahead to the days of obedience training and wondering about collar selection. I had good experiences with the Martingale-style collar - half flat/half choke. My senior lady GSD was absolutely terrible when it came to on-leash training. Never met a more stubborn dog in my life in this area! We tried every type of halti, harness, etc. with no luck. The most success we had was with the Martingale style. So, my question to those with experience in training, would you recommnend this style collar (list pros/cons), and where can I purchase them. It's been quite some time since I've needed to purchase training aids. Are there any training devices you might recommend instead, or in addition to?

Lastly, I'm looking to add to my training library and would like to know what members would recommend in terms of dog training/behavior books.

Thanks in advance!

Longblades
April 27th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I was not really impressed with a martingale when I used one BUT... Mine was all nylon webbing, the flat part and the choker part. I think it would have worked better for us if the choker part had been in chain and made more sound. I couldn't find one. And, you can get them in quick release which makes the fiddly part of putting them on and taking them off, well, not fiddly. I couldn't find one of those either. I would still have to order such a collar over the internet, no store near me has them like that.

luckypenny
April 27th, 2010, 06:15 PM
If only everyone planned way in advance of adding a new puppy to the family...good on you placid :thumbs up.

I start with a regular flat collar for all puppies. Most training we start with is off-leash (in perfectly secured areas) so the pups know what to do whether a leash is being used or not. For older puppies/dogs, I still prefer a flat collar unless a dog has learned to pull or can slip out of one. In that case, the Easy Walk Harness is my first choice.

Why I don't like the martingale? To me, it infers training using corrections and, in this day and age, there are much better alternatives and educational resources available.

Here's the very first reading material I suggest to all potential adopters of young foster puppies:

Before You Get Your Puppy by Ian Dunbar http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/BEFORE%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf

After You Get Your Puppy http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/AFTER%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf

The entire site is full of wonderful articles concerning training and behavior.... http://dogstardaily.com/

Another invaluable site: http://doggonesafe.com/

On training: The Power of Positive Dog Training - 2nd Edition by Pat Miller is my first pick.

Although it's important that we teach puppies/dogs to understand what we expect of them, it's even more crucial that we understand them and the ways in which they learn....

Canine Body Language, A Photographic Guide by Brenda Aloff
How To Speak Dog by Stanley Coren
Inside of a Dog, What Dogs See, Smell, and Know by Alexandra Horowitz
Don't Shoot The Dog by Karen Pryor

Can't wait to read of the adventures of your new puppy :goodvibes:.

LavenderRott
April 27th, 2010, 06:54 PM
It depends 100% on the dog. Both of my dogs wear martingales. While positive reinforcement is a wonderful thing - personally, I prefer the option of being able to offer a safe correction if I need to. I also like the fact that, no matter what happens my dog can NOT slip his collar.

placid
April 28th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks for taking the time to respond everyone.

@luckypenny. I have several of the books that you mentioned, but will have to look into those that I don't!

Yes, I agree that I would rather initially use positive tactics to train my pup, but if coming from a place of experience, and the need arises, I would like to have an alternate on-hand. I found that halti-styles were a HUGE distraction for my GSD in that she was constantly trying to remove them, thus no training could take place. And she would constantly use her body weight to pull with a harness, and it was difficult for me to gain her attention - "watch me".

@LavendarRott
Do you have the half choke/half flat collar variety, or all material type? Where did you purchase yours?

Thanks again!

LavenderRott
April 28th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks for taking the time to respond everyone.

@luckypenny. I have several of the books that you mentioned, but will have to look into those that I don't!

Yes, I agree that I would rather initially use positive tactics to train my pup, but if coming from a place of experience, and the need arises, I would like to have an alternate on-hand. I found that halti-styles were a HUGE distraction for my GSD in that she was constantly trying to remove them, thus no training could take place. And she would constantly use her body weight to pull with a harness, and it was difficult for me to gain her attention - "watch me".

@LavendarRott
Do you have the half choke/half flat collar variety, or all material type? Where did you purchase yours?

Thanks again!

Stark's collar is a purple material one that was a gift. Rusty's is nylon web that I got at a local pet shop. I am hoping to find an all chain one for Stark to wear in the show ring but haven't found it yet.

Lupine collars have an excellent reputation and, I am told, a great guarantee.
http://www.lupinepet.com/

luckypenny
April 28th, 2010, 12:08 PM
And she would constantly use her body weight to pull with a harness, and it was difficult for me to gain her attention - "watch me".

Our Lucky pulled like mad with a regular harness too (because of his thick neck, he slips out of flat collars - any pressure around his neck by other training collars cause him to gag/throw-up and he becomes highly anxious)...it's understandable that it's hard to use as a training tool in loose-leash walking when it encourages some dogs to do the opposite. The Easy Walk is different in the sense that it attaches to the leash at the chest. Dog attempts to pull one way, he's automatically directed the other. The only instrument, in addition to teaching, that worked with our guy.

Here's the website in case it ever interests you.

http://www.premier.com/View.aspx?page=dogs/products/behavior/easywalk/productdescription