Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how soon can dog have bath after whelping?

highhoney36
September 3rd, 2004, 03:19 PM
Hi all, anybody have any info on how long to wait before bathing after a dog has had her puppies?
Our dog honey had 10 puppies on tuesday and she is quite messy in the behind, she is a golden retriever and has long hair. I brushed her and cleaned her up best i could but it's still pretty messy, any info would be great.

thanx

trescanis
September 3rd, 2004, 05:19 PM
I use to work at a GSD conformation/breeding facility so I have some experience with this.

It's just her behind that is messy right? Wash that area with a very very light soap. We just used an Ivory bar. Do not spray that area with water, just wash with a soapy cloth and rinse WELL with another cloth.Don't bathe her entire body as the smell will "be a turn off" to the pups, and they need/require every drip they get. More times than not, there is always the odor of soap on a bathed dog.

Good luck with the puppies!

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/spezial/Fool/bird.gif

trescanis
September 4th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Hi, I neglected to say that only extremely rarely would a dam need cleaning...
Leave her alone to deal with it. ( my mind was on a specific situation at the time I posted )

It's only the human that feels the dog needs cleaning! She'll deal with it in her own time.....

Xtream Dogs
September 6th, 2004, 03:03 AM
I have to agree with the last response.........I am a dog breeder, I will wipe with a wet, warm towel, NO SOAP, just to get the blood off. She will do the rest when the time is right. You don't want to encourage infection.
Good luck with the puppies!
Xtream dogs :)