Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

question about pet stores

raingirl
September 3rd, 2004, 02:25 PM
I'm confused when you guys talk about not buying from pets stores. Not that I am planning on buying from a pet store, I just need clarification on something.

My friend works at a large pet store in southern Ontario as a groomer. She told me that all their pets for sale come from local foster homes/shelters. What they do is cycle the pets around every day or couple of days and they keep lists and pics for people when they see an animal and come back, so they aren't confused why the pet is gone.

Why would it be bad to buy from a pet store then? I was under the impression that all pets in stores come from shelters/fosters.

heidiho
September 3rd, 2004, 02:28 PM
Iknow like Petsmart and Petco the animals come from shelters,here they do.But petstores in the mall they do not,god only knows where they come form.

Babs
September 3rd, 2004, 02:31 PM
I know that PetSmart now only carries adoption animals from local Humane Societies.

But the small pet shops, the ones you generally see in strip-malls and such often get the animals through puppy mills and backyard breeders.

I would also be very cautious about buying Puppies in the Newspaper.

There are two main reasons not to buy animals from puppy mills or backyard breeders.

1) The first and most important issues deals with genetics. People who have no idea what they are doing could be crossing diseased animals, or in mill situations they perform too much inbreeding. As a result puppies are born with defects both physical and psychological in nature. Some of these defects could result in aggression which is difficult to control.

2) By supplying puppy mills and breeders with an economy to operate, we only encourage them to continue creating problem animals. If people stopped buying their animals, they will become overrun and will stop breeding.

Because the government is either not seeing the problem, or is ignoring it, the only thing we can do is try to break the supply chain by spreading the word about this very big problem.

In fact, I wouldn't hesitate to say BYBs and Mills are a major cause for sporadic dog bites, where the dog was otherwise a well trained animal. Psychological problems are difficult to detect, and are identified usually when it's too late, if not at all.

OnlyInMyDreams
September 3rd, 2004, 02:33 PM
Good to know.. I didnt know that about the puppy places in malls. I was always told that they were very cautious as to what puppies they carry. When you buy them they come with guarantees and they pet for the vet bills if something was to happen to them such as illness, not including accidental injury.

Babs
September 3rd, 2004, 02:37 PM
Best rule of thumb is to ask a lot of questions about the animals a store is carrying.

They should be able to tell you where the animals come from, and provide the contact information of either the breeders or the shelters from which the animals came.

If they cannot, you're probably dealing with a vendor for BYBs or Puppy Mills.

If you get breeder contact info, make sure you contact the breeder and ask for credentials. If it's just someone whose dog got pregnant because it was intact, I would be very cautious.

raingirl
September 3rd, 2004, 02:39 PM
ok....phew....I'm not crazy then. I don't see "mall" petstores anymore. They are all big box stores here, like petsmart or pjs pets.

because I don't own a car, it's hard to go see fosters/shelters (there are no shelters in brampton).

If the pets at our local pet store do come from a shelter/foster, is there any advantage/disadvantage to buying at a petstore. I'm sure they jack up the price or something...

(sorry, I'm new to this)

We are looking to get a dog before winter hits, so we have some time in the fall to romp outside before the snow hits. Once this snow hits, it might be harder to do any training etc being so cold out and snow 3 feet high!

Writing4Fun
September 3rd, 2004, 02:44 PM
I didn't think places like PetSmart jacked up the prices on these animals. I was under the impression that they were simply providing the space to a local shelter free of charge, and that the shelter volunteers were there to handle the adoption process.

raingirl
September 3rd, 2004, 03:15 PM
I don't know if they do. I've never been in petsmart before, but was thinking of checking the one out on Sunday near where I will be running some errands.

I know the dogs at ****** pets are super expensive, so I figured they jacked up the prices. Maybe they aren't shelter dogs.

Shae
September 3rd, 2004, 03:31 PM
Stay clear of ******* for sure.....and other pet stores. Why would you buy frm a petstore when there are so many unwanted needy loving pets that are desperate for a home. We won't even mention how many are on deathrow.

Sneaky2006
September 3rd, 2004, 03:34 PM
I don't know about anywhere else but there is always tons of rescues at our local ******!

Donna Marie
September 3rd, 2004, 03:38 PM
I think I have learned a lot from here. A customer of mine (I'm in the computer industry) asked me to talk to one of his customers about pet store pets (I guess I talk about it alot). I think I convinced him not to buy one from them....he did know about puppy mills but he didn't know about puppy brokers. We have a local Petsmart and they adopt out rescues.

Shae
September 3rd, 2004, 03:41 PM
Alongside *****...........
******...... Check out the link

Shae
September 3rd, 2004, 03:48 PM
Here are some letters written by current and / or previous ******* employees.

Store #733

Cambridge, Mass.

A former ******** employee told PETA that dying animals were deprived of water and medication in this store’s sick room, which apparently was an unventilated “closet” where temperatures reached 90°F. Animals were kept in filthy cages. Fish regularly died of ich and cannibalized one another. A bird was cannibalized by cagemates. Animals who tipped over their water had to “wait another full day before they got more.”

Note: ******* responded to this complaint and sent PETA the following:
“[T]he [District Manager went] to the store to physically review the wellness area and assess the situation. Here is the outcome of the investigation:
• the room is currently at 75 degrees
• the room has both heating and cooling systems that are full functioning
• the room has an exhaust fan that is full functioning
• the wellness room is visited hourly as part of our "hourly animal health check" and the [District Manager] verified this by the signed logs
• the room is extremely clean and the two animals in the room have been to the vet and are under vet care”

August 11, 2004
Unknown location

A current ******* employee told PETA that (s)he was “disgusted at the lack of concern for the animals” in ******* and that animals who were “sick and dying” arrived “constantly” at the store. The complainant wrote that “cruelty” to animals “happens behind the scenes” at the store.

August 10, 2004
Unknown location

A former ******* employee told PETA that (s)he resigned after coworkers failed to treat a snake who was suffering from skin rot. The animal, who had been kept in a humid habitat, died of the ensuing condition. The complainant wrote that animals who were sick or dying were found “every day” in the store. Birds suffered from respiratory distress, and fish died of ich. Mice cannibalized the remains of their cagemates, and lizards, frogs, and iguanas starved to death.

August 07, 2004
Unknown store number

New York, N.Y.

A complainant told PETA that (s)he was “disturbed” to find two obviously ill parrots on display in cages by themselves at a ***** store. One bird was plucking his feathers out, while the other “kept bobbing his head back and forth.” An employee who was notified of the situation acknowledged that the animals were acting as they were because they were “lonely.”

Unknown location

A current ****** employee told PETA that “90%” of his or her coworkers neglect animals and do not clean enclosures. One hamster tank had not been cleaned for so long that a razor blade had to be used to remove the accumulated urine. A cockatoo was kept in an enclosure that was approximately one-third the recommended size. Another bird who had already been moved from another store to the complainant’s location was “shuffled” to a third store for its grand opening.

August 04, 2004
Unknown store number

Washington

An apparent ****** grooming employee told PETA that “horror stories” about ***** groomers are “so bad” that (s)he “want[s] to quit.”

July 29, 2004
Store #559

San Diego, Calif.

A former ******* employee told PETA that animals were kept in “horrible,” overcrowded enclosures that went “days” without being cleaned.

July 28, 2004
Unknown location

A former ***** manager told PETA that animals suffered from respiratory infections, mites, and untreated injuries on a weekly basis. Managers said that a snake whose jaw was found to be broken was suffering from “mouth rot.” A lizard died after being fed only cat food and deprived of a heat source. The complainant’s concerns about animal suffering were not taken seriously by supervisors.

July 21, 2004
Unknown location

A former ****** manager told PETA that (s)he was disciplined for taking sick and injured animals to a veterinarian. The complainant wrote that many small animals who were suffering from respiratory infections were not provided with veterinary care. Ferrets who appeared to be unweaned were sold, and as many as seven turtles were being kept in an enclosure that was designed for just one.

July 15, 2004
Store #1908
Midland, Mich.

A former ****** employee told PETA that birds infected with psittacosis—a potentially fatal bacterial disease that is transmissible to humans through dried waste—were denied treatment and kept in filthy cages after six outbreaks in the past year. The complainant reported that the housing, food, and water provided for birds were all “unacceptable” and that some food was spoiled. Obviously ill, listless birds who had “ragged” feathers and were covered in bloody droppings were on display. Birds were seen attacking one another, and at least 26 birds were being kept in the store’s back room.

July 12, 2004
Unknown location

A former ******* employee told PETA that several birds who had been injured in shipping were dead when they arrived at the store. The injured survivors, including one who was later found to have a broken leg, were placed on display. “[T]wo were placed in a freezer” alive and left to freeze to death. Tick-covered reptiles were denied veterinary care by the store manager and were sold. Animals were kept in filthy enclosures, and at least five died after the parasites spread.

Shae
September 3rd, 2004, 03:50 PM
And I spoke personally to a former ****** worker. What he confided was disgusting..... :mad:
We'll most likely be boycotting some of the ****** stores in the not so far off future. Cruelty is cruelty. Animal have the right not to be abused.It's time these rights were recognised.

heeler's rock!
September 3rd, 2004, 04:40 PM
I know that here in Calgary, Petsmart doesn't sell any puppies, cats, ferrets, and so on. They do sell hampsters and rabbits I think. On the weekends, local rescue organizations all gather there to showcase certain animals up for adoption. People get the chance to meet the animals and ask questions about them. When rescuing an animal, you don't always have to see it before hand. I rescued Helix from Sask. and drove to Lloydminster to pick him up. They give you all the info. they have and allow you a "trial" type period as they know it's hard to just get a dog from far away. Noone can predict how it will be.

Does anyone know about ******? I know they have the *******, but they also sell puppies. Do the for sale puppies come from puppy mills? They are all unregisterable and some are crosses that they charge $500-$1000 dollars for!! One lady said that she was looking into getting a puppy from there a few years ago and they wanted $2500.00!!!!!!!! I think it was a Golden Retriever!!! I think itis hypocritical of ****** to sell puppies from mills, and yet rescue them and adopt them out......

Sneaky2006
September 3rd, 2004, 04:45 PM
If that is the case with ******, why would shelters/rescues support them by adopting out their animals there?

Shae
September 3rd, 2004, 04:52 PM
Many don't actually. And not all shelters are up to par.....really need to investigate them. For instance for the longest time we all stood behind the *****......now look at all the controversy. Cheech is a prime example. And the dog who was accidently euthanised less than 24 hrs.
Dont get me wrong, I support shelters,etc.....it's just not always black and white, you know? A lot happens behind closed doors. If they have nothing to hide, they wont mind allowing you to view the facility in the back rooms....where many have "extras" And, hey, they are not all the same either........but ****** in general, at the present is under a microscope. Hopefully they clean up their act. Also, remember, it's not all that hard to allow ppl to think you're a rescue when in fact you have a puppymill going on. This is a common occurance. Best bet.....keep eyes open and ask questions...and always find referrals

chico2
September 3rd, 2004, 04:52 PM
I would defineltly,without question stay away from ***** pets,ALL their animals come from questionable suppliers and you can pay up to $800 for a mix breed puppy.Don't give them your business,you'll be very sorry.
Petsmart and others here in Oakville only charge an adoptionfee for their animals and they are from the local Humane Society.

Shae
September 3rd, 2004, 04:56 PM
I haven't heard anything negative about Petsmart. Mind you I havent gone in one to view the facility either. If they prove the have rescues and are onyl charging adoption fees, you're prob good to go. Chico, tell me, they are spayed and neutered I presume before they leave the shop? Do they do a check on the prospective new owners?

chico2
September 3rd, 2004, 05:34 PM
Shae,I cannot speak for all PetSmart stores,but the one here in Oakville,adopting out cats only,keep them in a very nice clean area..lots of space to play and places to sleep.
I would assume,I don't know,but since they are HS cats,the same rules would apply as if you are adopting from HS.
Many of the cats are adult beauties and they would already have been spayed/neutered,if a kitten,you pay a certain amount and after you have the kitten altered you get some of the money back.At least that is the way it used to be.Nowadays they alter kittens very young,so HS probably does it before the kitten is adopted out,hence the higher price.
The Oakville HS is very good,has a good reputation and they do not euthanize unless absolutely necessary.They have an old GSD who has been there for almost 3 yrs,with behaviour-problems :( definetly not ideal,but he gets a lot of loving care by the staff.

sammiec
September 3rd, 2004, 05:42 PM
ok....phew....I'm not crazy then. I don't see "mall" petstores anymore. They are all big box stores here, like petsmart or pjs pets.
***** is a chain store located in MANY malls (including the *****) - those animals are from BYB and Puppy Mills. [B]DO NOT buy ANY animals for *******B]

because I don't own a car, it's hard to go see fosters/shelters (there are no shelters in brampton).
Sure there are!!! There's the City of Brampton Shelter at Williams and Chrysler Drive. They are actually a wonderful shelter (for a shelter) and there's an SPCA on Main St. (Hwy 10)

If the pets at our local pet store do come from a shelter/foster, is there any advantage/disadvantage to buying at a petstore. I'm sure they jack up the price or something...
There is NO advantage from buying a pet from a petstore. They are ALL BYB and Puppy Mill dogs. There are unknowledgable people in my building that have bought pets from ****** and ALL of them have had problems with their dogs!! ALL OF THEM!!! Please DO NOT support these people and businesses!!

We are looking to get a dog before winter hits, so we have some time in the fall to romp outside before the snow hits. Once this snow hits, it might be harder to do any training etc being so cold out and snow 3 feet high!
There is no need to rush into getting a dog. I waited about a year before I found the one that I wanted. We got our on Dec 27 and we had no issues with training and walking during the cold weather, we just got our puppy a coat and some booties and we were good to go!

edited to add: A ****** that I know of has people that have been known to abuse animals in the grooming area. They have had animals come in and a groomer has hit them and kicked them out of her way. They have cut the quick and done nothing to sooth the animal's discomfort. This lady was fired because she was ratted out.
***** and ****** do sell gerbels, ferrets, hamsters, rabbits, mice, rats, and birds. These animals do come from BYB and mills as well.

As far as I am aware, the kittens/cats that are at these places do come from the local HS. SOme locations only bring them in on Saturdays and some have nice little areas for the cats to play with a climbing tree etc.

Shae
September 3rd, 2004, 10:37 PM
See, I refuse to buy at a petstore EVER.....I think it's wonderful if Petsmart,etc are adopting out shelter pets,etc.....BUT...like someone else mentioned, what about "other" species/breeds? Are they ALL shelter adptions OR just "some?" Its an all or nothing situation for me. So many animals on death row including dogs,cats,rabbits, rodents, etc,etc.....
Chico........about the GSD, I think it's great that they refuse e&a

Shae
September 3rd, 2004, 10:42 PM
Thought you might find this interesting.
Imagine if this were your dog

[CENTER]Petcetera offers $5,000 reward to solve dognapping :eek: :mad:

Matthew Ramsey
The Province

Friday, September 03, 2004

How much is that doggy in the window?

Petcetera has posted a $5,000 reward for the return of Chingoo, a Shih Tzu cross, mistakenly returned to the wrong person after a grooming session at a Vancouver store Aug. 31.

Chingoo's owner, Teddy Lee, says he took the small white dog with brown freckles on its belly into the Petcetera at 2876 Rupert for a pre-paid grooming at 1 p.m. Lee, 27, informed staff that either he or his mother would pick up the three-year-old dog. He was told to collect Chingoo, Korean for "friend," at 4:30 p.m. that day.

When he came to gather up his cherished canine, Lee was advised that an older Asian male had already claimed the dog, asking for the animal by name.

The problem is, Lee doesn't know of any older Asian men who would have picked the dog up in his or his mother's place.

The search for Chingoo was on.

"They know that it's a huge mistake on their part," Lee said of Petcetera. "They are willing to do whatever they can to help."

So far Petcetera has contacted all 34 stores in the chain to advise them of the apparent dognapping, posted signs in each store, called B.C. animal shelters, other groomers and the SPCA and topped off recovery efforts with a $5,000 reward.

Lee has sent out more than 100 letters to vets in the Lower Mainland.

Petcetera owner Daniel Urbani told The Province the mistake is the first of its kind in the seven-year history of the business that has seen approximately 500,000 dogs and cats groomed.

"The company is distraught over it," Urbani said last night.

The intent of the reward is to help recover Chingoo as soon as possible. Somebody may have inadvertently purchased the animal from the unidentified man, who Urbani said appears to have planned the incident.

Petcetera is also in the process of reevaluating its policies and procedures when it comes to returning pets to their owners. The Chingoo case was difficult to avoid because the man who took the dog asked for it by name and staff had been told that someone else might pick him up, Urbani said.

"Everything seemed to be very normal," Urbani said.

Chingoo is white with shades of brown, about 30 cm tall, 45 cm long, 7 kg, with brown freckles on his belly. The dog is not neutered, was not wearing a collar or implanted with a microchip, and does not have an ID tattoo in his ear. Lee said Chingoo is very friendly and usually turns his head at a 45-degree angle when called. Anyone with information should call Teddy or Christine Lee at 604-897-7709 or 604-537-7255.

n West Vancouver police are asking for help in finding an $800 Senegal parrot named Ben. The bird disappeared from Noah's Pet Ark Aug. 31. Ben has grey feathers on his head and yellow, green and orange feathers on his chest. Call 604-925-7300 with information.

mramsey@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Province 2004

carey
September 3rd, 2004, 11:16 PM
The two PetSmarts in Ottawa only have cats that are from the humane society, and use an adoption contract. They don't take dogs because of the work involved.
****** in Montreal have cages filled with "pedigreed" and AKC registered dogs from the U.S! They are selling around $1500.

RuffNTumble
September 3rd, 2004, 11:28 PM
I hate name-dropping, but I have to agree that ***** Pets boggles my mind. Who would pay $900 for a "Lab Collie X" when they can get the same puppy from a shelter for less than $100?
Health guarantees? HA! THe last time I was at my vet's, she was RAGING because she had a 10 week old puppy in her care with Parvo and because "the owner signed the contract", ***** was taking NO responsability! Can you imagine??? You have brand new puppy, and it's already dying! That's disgusting!!!
Granted, the supposed "rescue" I got my current dog from seems to be just as shady as ****** It's safe to say we were mislead about her age, habits and background. She is not the dog we thought we were adopting, but we still love her to bits!!
Backyard breeders are scary too. My parents got a Seal Point Siamese from someone breeding cats in their house, and she had to be put down at 3 years of age because she had a congenital heart defect and couldn't cope with an infection.

And yet, my parents STILL have their 9 year old Siamese cat Chanel, fit as a fiddle, and from a dingy pet store in an even dingier mall. All I can say is they were REALLY lucky.

The best thing to do is to do a LOT of research. Research the breed you want, which one fits your lifestyle, research the rescue, or the store, READ ALL THE FINE print and ask lots of questions.

Look at it this way, would a reputable breeder really need to ship off their puppies to a store? A lot of them breed by reservation (only have a litter when they have enough interested adopters) so they are usually not without "leftover" puppies.

I looked around for months before settling on my first dog, a great dane from a rescue, and they do so much digging around on you, you know they're doing what's best for the dog. For our neo mastiff, it was meet the dog, give the money, and a questionnaire. Not to say it was bad, but we didn't have the same "safe" feeling as with our dane. But she was in need, and that's all that matters!

Ruffy ;)

Sheriffmom
September 4th, 2004, 10:45 AM
If you want to read a tragic story about buying pets from Petstores go to ******* Then to the heading BEWARE. It's about a lady who bought a French Bulldog from ****** and the horror she had to endure. Keep in mind that ******* is still operating.
Also, our trainer stated that she sees many puppy's in her class each semester who have to be put down due to temperment issues, weird genetic problems, and strange health issues. She stated that a lot of petstores buy from puppy broakers and puppymills, who breed substandered dogs, and who cross breed dogs simply for their looks. When a dog is bred simply for looks you can (and do) end up with strange and weird new health issues. She said they are bred so they look cute in the window, and it makes you want to buy one. She said some of the worst of these "cute breeds" are the Eskipoo's. Some of these "new" breeds are not only un-healthy, but have extreamly poor temperments (i.e extreamly agressive). And remeber petstores cannot sell CKC registered dogs, so you have little recourse if something is wrong with your dog.
To be fair and honest not every dog from a petstore will be unhealthy/ bad tempered. But you run a high risk, with little recourse. You also perpetuate a huge problem with regards to puppymills, and the terrible treatment of animals.
If you really want a petstore pet, try calling your local humane society to see if any local puppymills have recently been shut down..... if so you may be able to adopt one of the seized pups.

Writing4Fun
September 4th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Who would pay $900 for a "Lab Collie X" when they can get the same puppy from a shelter for less than $100?
The same people who would pay upwards of $1500CDN for a something-poo from a "breeder". :rolleyes:

raingirl
September 6th, 2004, 11:26 AM
It seems every time I read posts here, I get more and more confused.

I can't remember who said this, but I was told there are no shelters/rescues in Brampton. We saw the SPCA booth at the farmers market saturday, but they only told us to look at www.petfinder.com. Where is "williams and crystler drive"?? And where is the SPCA on main st? (is it walking distance from the 4 corners??)

When we go to petfinder, there are never any Brampton locations to look at animals. That's why we considered petsmart (again, the no car issue). Of course, this weekend we realized there are no petsmarts in brampton, only superpet. They have an adoption centre, but didn't give us details on how it works (we only dropped by for a minute to check the place out). I guess we thought it would be easier if there is a store that would bring animals in from other places for us to see, as opposed to just looking online. Taking a bus to see only one animal is time consuming, when we could see many at once at a store (assuming that the ones coming to the stores are the ones posted online from the shelters)

Shae
September 7th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Don't Buy from a Breeder. Don't Buy from a Pet Shop, RESCUE an animal instead!

The Distressing Fate Of A Shelter Dog

http://www.spotsociety.org/fatedog.html

Goldenmom
September 7th, 2004, 07:26 PM
The Petsmart here in Kitchener does not sell any dogs/cats unless from our local shelters. You are charged an adoption fee, which I am sure is somehow split between the Shelters and Petsmart, although I am not sure.

Heather

Donna Marie
September 9th, 2004, 03:38 PM
****** is another bad place.

I have only seen fish and small rodents to purchase at Petsmart. Otherwise they have only had adoptable cats and kittens.

foster-in-ON
December 4th, 2004, 11:51 PM
RainGirl - *****.......PLEASE DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!

I wish I could post on this open forum, but I have to CMA.

All you need to know is that PETSMART has animals for adoption from your local Humane Society. :) That is a good thing!!!!

ANY petstore that is selling puppies and kittens that are not from the humane society.....stay far, far away!!

No matter what the sales staff tell you try to convice you, the reality is petshop puppies come from puppymills. They will give you a slew of lies.....the best one I heard was...."Oh, one of our employees dog had puppies, so they come from a good home". "How nice I said, then why were these puppies being loaded off the truck in lettuce crates on Sunday night????"

Shaykeija
December 5th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Sudbury is getting a ***** in the spring. Bay with my big mouth am I ever going to make some noise. I think I will start with our butt hole mayor, who likes bring in big box stores to crush the little local guys. SOB am I pissed now that I read about *****. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Heinz57
December 5th, 2004, 03:02 PM
I know that here in Calgary, Petsmart doesn't sell any puppies, cats, ferrets, and so on. They do sell hampsters and rabbits I think. On the weekends, local rescue organizations all gather there to showcase certain animals up for adoption. People get the chance to meet the animals and ask questions about them. When rescuing an animal, you don't always have to see it before hand. I rescued Helix from Sask. and drove to Lloydminster to pick him up. They give you all the info. they have and allow you a "trial" type period as they know it's hard to just get a dog from far away. Noone can predict how it will be.

Does anyone know about ******? I know they have the "******", but they also sell puppies. Do the for sale puppies come from puppy mills? They are all unregisterable and some are crosses that they charge $500-$1000 dollars for!! One lady said that she was looking into getting a puppy from there a few years ago and they wanted $2500.00!!!!!!!! I think it was a Golden Retriever!!! I think itis hypocritical of ****** to sell puppies from mills, and yet rescue them and adopt them out......
I would stay clear of ****** puppies, the store IMHO has gone downhill in the northeast. I SO agree thet it's hypocritical to cage those puppies and charge that money :evil: Petsmart is great and they invite the rescues in to show their dogs regularly, they also have GREAT prices on crates of their own brand and guarantee them to meet or beat and last just as well as the more pricey crates. They seem very caring IMO. Petstores selling puppies is just wrong :sad:

Daisie
December 5th, 2004, 04:23 PM
In Edmonton...

PetsMart...helps a different shelter...NASAP...northern alberta society animal protection. You can also find them on PetFinder.

Petcetera...helps the Espca....Edmonton Humane society

*****...supposedly local breeders, checked reg by spca and cleared, as well as 2yr health gaurantees. Never have I bought from them, except goldfish, and some products are cheaper. They do keep the place very clean, and have strict protocols on handling....antibacterial washing before and after. I think what happens is the people who had a litter couldn't sell all of them on their own and they take the left over ones...I'd be wary of that. Also they take them young to remain "cute" longer. On a different note, I have met a few people now, who have been very very happy with their dogs, and they are old. They made the commitment, and have been lucky I guess.

I buy my dog food from PetPlanet...supports cancer research, has no animals.

Bearsmom
December 5th, 2004, 09:31 PM
ok....phew....I'm not crazy then. I don't see "mall" petstores anymore. They are all big box stores here, like petsmart or ** pets.

(sorry, I'm new to this)

The City of Brampton Animal Services shelter is located at 475 Chrysler Drive (across from Chrysler plant)-also located on a City of Brampton transit route.

Lucky Rescue
December 5th, 2004, 09:55 PM
***s...supposedly local breeders, checked reg by spca and cleared,

Don't be fooled by descriptions like "Local breeders", "private breeders" or "commerical breeders". They all mean the same thing - puppy millers and backyard breeders and all should be avoided.

raingirl
December 5th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Bearsmom,

I finally figured out where it is. Thanks though.

Unfortunately, the bus that goes by there (the number 9) only runs from morning rush hour to evening rush hour and for me to be able to get there before the last bus heading back home for me is before I even get home from work.

I wish it wasn't so in the middle of nowhere, because I would go more often.

They also need to start posting somewhere other than on the city of brampton website. They have a page at petharbor, but never upload their pet info. It's so inconvenient to go to another site when they could easily post on petharbor.

Bearsmom
December 6th, 2004, 12:26 AM
It's a city run thing. They wouldn't advertise on petfinder. Wierd.

Have you checked the website? It seems to me that it's updated frequently.

Hound_Dog
December 6th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Another case of why you shouldn't buy from pet shops, puppy mills or back yard breeders....

A friend of mine bought a Beagle and then a Pug from a pet shop in Korea. The beagle was very aggressive towards her and actually bit her boyfriend (repeatedly). They eventually couldn't keep the dog because it was so aggressive. The Pug, although it has a wonderful temperment, is only 8 months old and has glaucoma. The dog has been on medication almost whole time they've had him.

Even my 2 dogs that I carefully chose from a woman who breeds dogs and sells them at a pet shop (things are done very differently here in Korea) (I got them before they went to the pet shop to be sold) have a few problems....

KimBop the male Cocker Spaniel, is almost mute. Apparently, this condition doesn't cause any pain or difficultly with him...and actually it's kind of nice that he isn't noisy...but I feel kind of bad for him.

KimChi, my girl Cocker Spaniel, is healthy, but she is very skittish and is terrified around Korean men. I've had to spend extra time to get her comfortable around my friends.

So, as final advice to this long winded story....don't buy from a pet shop or from a breeder who isn't clear about anything about the dog or their operations.

Rockstaroxy
December 1st, 2006, 09:23 PM
:dog: My husban and I bought a puppy ( an all black pekanese female ) @ a store called Puppies@ ****** about 2 months ago. When we held her in our arms we fell instantly inlove with her!. It was the first time we had ever bought a dog befor and we went in the store that day not expecting to come home with a puppy. When we told them we were going to buy her and asked how much she costed...I thought it was a bit pricey but we got her anyway I couldn't leave her there. They explained to us that she had a micro chip so if she was ever lost she was more likely to be back home with us and that we had to take her to a vet in Orange County witch is like an hour drive away with in 15 days for her check up and shots. Witch wasn't a problem we were fine with it. That if she ever got sick within those 15 days they would cover all costs. So once we took her home with all her goodies we bought at the store....not even a two days later she got so sick! she wasn't eating, she was throwing up, so we took her to the vet in Orange right away and she had to stay over nite for observation and ***** did cover all cost medicen and all. She had a really bad cough from the time we took her home till about 2 weeks ago she stop taking her antibiotics for her cough and her other antibiotics for her runny nose and 3 weeks ago she stop taking her meds for her sensative tommy. We have been going to the vet in Orenge at least twice a week for teatments she had been geting for her congestion then it was follow up's and meds after meds and it was really hard to see our lil Mama go though all that there were points where she would get better and be all crazy hyper and wanting to play all day long then it would just get worse all of a sudden when she was getting better...but ok ok up untill like 2 weeks ago when she stop taking her meds and was finally over being sick and back to her crazy hyper self we took her in yeasterday for her last set of shots witch included her Rabes shot. So we took her and she got her shots and her vet told us befor we left "are you two going to be home today to watch her?" we told her yes that we had the day off and then she said " make sure to watch her very closely for any swelling and sure enough the moment we get home take her into the house we lie on the bed with her and i start to doze off while my husban is watching her and he wakes my up telling me we have to go now!!!! kitty mamas her eyes are swollen really bad and when i saw her i just broke down and stated to cry to see my baby like that killed me so much! and i pick her up and we got in the car and started to drive down there he called the vet and told them what had happend and that we were on our way. But as i was sitting in the back seat holding her in my arms her eyes were just getting more and more swollen and he was still on the phone with the vet and i told him tell then can we take her any where cause we live so fare and they said she would be fine as long as she wasn't having trouble breathing. But it was 4pm when every one is getting outta work and there was going to be so much traffic and i couldn't leave her like that much longer so while i'm crying my eyes out holding her paws down so she wouldn't scratch her eyes and make it worse she starts to breath wierd and i scream to him she having truble breathing and we see a petsmart off the free way and we know they have a vet inside so we take her there run inside and they take her right away they tell us she had and allergic reaction to the rabes shot and they needed to give her some meds and watch her till 7pm so they gave us an estament it came out to $189.00 of couse we payed it but when we called they vet and told them if they would cover it they said they didn't cause we didn't take her there. So today i call the maneger there @ ****** she tells me the same thing she told my hubby they will not re emberce us just cause we couldn't take her there. So i'm very upset about that. But there was something I noticed every time i was there @ the vet ( I was there alot) lol there was always some one coming in with a puppy from **** that was really sick just like kitty was. Then today while sufing the web looking for something about ***** I stumble apone this wed site called **** and i was informed about it and how alot of pet stores get there dogs from puppy mills and they often develope heath problems. As I'm reading all this it's clear to me that **** is one of these places and it brakes my heart to know that kitty came from one of those places. I want to do something about this but I don't know where to start! please can some one on her tell me what I should do? or if I should do anything?:dog: If you can help me out please email me @ ***** or aim me @ ****** or message me on myspace ******

thank you

Rockstaroxy
December 1st, 2006, 09:31 PM
and another thing is i've noticed that my lil puppy kitty mamas like when she isn't sick and she's crazy hyper witch i know is normal puppy behavior but i;ve noticed she's started to bit us pertty hard and started growling at us but at first with the bitting i though she was just teething but she bit hard now and just this past sat. I was picking her up to baby her and she growled really loud at me and tried to like almost attack me and i felt kinda bad cause we don't hit her, play rough, or mistreat her in any way for her to act like that....we have tryed time outs but they don't work at all I just don't know what to do?