Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat meows from 3am until my alarm goes off!! Need Sleep!

breavery
April 24th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I have an 8 month old Siamese kitten who wakes me up every single night like an alarm clock at 3 am and is non stop until my alarm goes off at 6:30am...
He meows, then will come and jump on me, sit on my chest and purr like a jet engine, then meow some more.
I`ve tried squirting with water, unfortunately he LOVES water so to him that`s a treat.. he leaps into the air to catch the stream of water!! I`ve resorted to locking him out of my bedroom but then I feel guilty because I have two cats and if I close the door, then my other boy is locked out too.. and he is a super quiet cat who sleeps all night long (but he won`t stay in the room if we close the door, he immediately wants to go out).
Please help.. I love him soo much but my husband is really annoyed and I need sleep! Does anyone know of any ways to get some control over the situation.. I know Siamese are natural talkers and he is an overly spoiled baby who loves to be cuddled but he needs to learn that I`m not into cuddling him at 3am! He was neutered at 6 months old.. I was hoping that would improve the situation but there is still no difference!
Is there anything I can give him at night to relax him a bit, and if so, is it something I can use every night?? Would Feliway sprays help this?? Thanks :frustrated:

lindapalm
April 24th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Some of our cats would sleep all night with us and some used our bed as a playground. It got to the point where we were woken up constantly, so we locked them all out. I don't see how you will be able to lock one out and not the other, and I'm sure there are many other cozy places for them to sleep in your house. You'll feel guilty for a couple of days, but soon you'll love getting a good nights sleep.

Winston
April 24th, 2010, 11:19 PM
We have tried to lock doors in this house and have had no success! they will drive me just as crazy inside as they would outside the door...I am wondering if your kitty could be hungry? maybe you could try giving it a teaspoon of food before bed and see if he stops bugging you? the reason I am thinking it could be this is because most of us get up and feed the crew right? well maybe you kitty wants it sooner than later...just a thought?

I also use Feliway diffusers....my two go in stages where they seem to bug me more than other times??

Maybe if we have a picture we can come up with some other suggestions :D:laughing:

14+kitties
April 24th, 2010, 11:40 PM
We have tried to lock doors in this house and have had no success! they will drive me just as crazy inside as they would outside the door...I am wondering if your kitty could be hungry? maybe you could try giving it a teaspoon of food before bed and see if he stops bugging you? the reason I am thinking it could be this is because most of us get up and feed the crew right? well maybe you kitty wants it sooner than later...just a thought?

I also use Feliway diffusers....my two go in stages where they seem to bug me more than other times??

Maybe if we have a picture we can come up with some other suggestions :D:laughing:

That was my thought as well Winston. Kitty is only eight months old. He will be needing more food than the other kitty. Possibly a bit more before bed will do the trick. But he is Siamese. They are brats. :cloud9: They love to chat - a lot!! I had a part Siamese for almost 19 years. A lot of his mannerisms were Siamese like. His talking, his meow, his affections, etc. :cloud9:
If feeding an extra bit of canned food before bed doesn't work then closing both kitties out of the bedroom may be the only thing to do for a while. But, I caution you, some kitties find the bottom of a closed door the most amazing toy to play with. They love sticking their little paw under the edge and pulling as hard as they can. They seem to derive a marvelous pleasure from that thud thud thud noise the door makes. If you are finding that doesn't do the trick do you have a spare room that you can put both kitties, or just him, in for the night. Give him lots of toys, his litter box, food, water, a scratch post, etc. You could even leave a radio on quietly for him or even a TV with one of those cat videos - you know the ones showing birds and whatnot, or an animal show.
What we don't do for a good night's sleep. :sleepy:

Chaser
April 24th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I second the idea of a bedtime snack, and would also aim to have a good amount of vigorous playtime in the evening to help tire him out. My cat is prone to his heaviest napping between 4 and 9 p.m......I have to wake him up and make him play if I don't want him bouncing off the walls at 4 a.m. It helps....kinda...:frustrated:

catlover2
April 24th, 2010, 11:52 PM
breavery, what can I say? you've got a spoiled baby! I know we love to spoil our cats, but not at the detriment to our health. I've always had the policy of not letting my cats sleep in the bedroom at night....I need an uninterrupted sleep! Otherwise, I'm useless the next day. My cats know that if I have a nap before dinner that they can sleep with me then, and make a beeline to the bed and get under the covers with me, and do have a nap too. So they get their cuddle time. That's their routine, and often one of them meows at me to come to bed for a nap! At night they go downstairs to a rec room. Always have ever since they were kittens. So if they're meowing down there I can't hear them. That's their routine and cats, like most animals, like a routine. If you really need your sleep you should put them in another room for the night. Do you have a spare bedroom or rec room? Feed them their evening meal late just before you go to bed in the spare room, have some place set up for them to sleep (chair/cat bed) and litter pans. I suggest putting both of them in together, otherwise your Siamese will likely continue to make a fuss. Good luck! :fingerscr Hope this works out for you. :cat:

kungfuMao
April 25th, 2010, 12:32 AM
I'm another for keeping them out at night. I'm not bothered by our cats at night but our female Maomao LOOOOOOVES to knead my husband's neck. And she can be very very persistent when she wants her comfort. And it hurts his neck due to her claws. She kept him up a few nights in a row. Now they're both shut out of the bedroom and we sleep well :thumbs up

Play time and a good meal before you go to bed will likely help a lot too! Hope things work out :D