Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advise Please

PumpkinPie
September 3rd, 2004, 02:19 PM
I had a beatiful Shih-Tzu puppy named Bruno until last July. He was my baby boy who I loved and adored to pieces. He, however, was born with kidney defects and one week before his first birthday he was put to sleep.
I'm still grieving the loss of my Bruno and he can never be replaced. But I also miss sharing my life with a puppy. I've been looking to buy / adopt a small breed puppy such as shih-poo or yorkie.

I'm moving into a 1 bedroom condo (approx. 700sq.ft) in October. It's going to be 5 min. away from my work so I would be able to spend as much time with him as I can. I'm not sure if I should buy a puppy or adopt one or even get a puppy at all. If I get a puppy I'm not even sure what I should get or not get.

Could someone give an advise please?

Cinnabear
September 3rd, 2004, 02:29 PM
Are you going to be able to house train it during the day? Older dogs are usually trained by then and are great. I think it just depends on your hours and willingnis(sp) to go through that again..They are lots of small adoptable dogs on petfinder. Good luck on your search.

OnlyInMyDreams
September 3rd, 2004, 02:30 PM
Definitely dont get one if your not sure, be certain that you want him/her and that your going to provide a forever home. Im sure when you see a puppy you'll know right away that its the one you really want and will love. Just be sure that its the right one for you.

Lucky Rescue
September 3rd, 2004, 02:31 PM
I'm sorry you lost your baby.:(

Personally, if I were working I would get an older puppy or young dog who may already be housetrained.

Where are you? Maybe someone here can help you in your search.

Shaykeija
September 3rd, 2004, 02:55 PM
You should try to talk to a reputable breeder and see if you can foster one of their dogs. I got a beautiful 3 year old Shih Tzhu that way. You take care of the vet stuff and food and when the dog is finished breedig you get to keep her. My Sophie is a love sponge and this is her last batch of puppies. She was only bred 3 times and this is her second litter. Worth a try

PumpkinPie
September 3rd, 2004, 03:49 PM
Thank you so much for all your replies.
For the house training. I don't believe in having my puppy (or dog) "hold" until I walk him. I will walk him once or twice everyday for sure. But he, just like any of us, should be able to "go" whenever he needs to. My Bruno had pee-pee pad in the house next to my toilet & he was quite happy with that arrangement. So I would like my new puppy (or dog) to do the same. I was going to take at least few weeks off when I get a puppy to get to know him better so that might help him learn(?).

I live in Woodbridge, ON now ... but will be moving to East end of Mississauga by October. I was looking at Micky & Ricky to adopt... having two of them might be better in terms of keeping each other occupied? But then 700 sq.ft. might be too small for both ...

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=3088093&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=41386be6525c3cbb-app3&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=&stat
Thank you again for your replies.