Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I have a question

BrownEyedGirl
April 23rd, 2010, 01:03 PM
I still learning about cats so thank you in advance.

yesterday Izzy was scratching at the carpet in my bedroom (like she was trying to bury her poo) and thats exactly what she was trying to do. There was one small poo on the carpet.

Was this an accident? Could something be wrong?

Her litter box is in my bathroom and is scooped in the morning and then before I go to bed so it wasn't an issue of a full litter box.

Welcome your thoughts.

BenMax
April 23rd, 2010, 01:32 PM
It is normal and natural instinct for them to try to cover... even when it's an accident. You may even notice at times cats trying to bury the food that they did not consume.

Did her diet change recently? Is she straining to go? Do you see anything abnormal in her bowl movements?

BrownEyedGirl
April 23rd, 2010, 01:42 PM
It is normal and natural instinct for them to try to cover... even when it's an accident. You may even notice at times cats trying to bury the food that they did not consume.

Did her diet change recently? No, it's been about 2 months since I switched her food Is she straining to go? Not that I'm aware of, but then again I'm not usually in there when she is doing her business Do you see anything abnormal in her bowl movements? No, it all looks nomral

Just was wondering what might have caused her to do this. If it doesnt happen again do I assume it was a fluke and not worry about it? Shes just not done this in the year we've had her so it was somewhat unsettling.

I didn't tell DS tho, good grief he would have worried all night.

BenMax
April 23rd, 2010, 01:45 PM
There are more cat savvy people on pets and I am sure that they will comment.

I would simply monitor. As long as you see no blood or anything alarming in the samples themselves, then it could just be a minor accident.

She has not fallen or hurt herself recently?

MyBirdIsEvil
April 23rd, 2010, 02:14 PM
You sure she didn't get locked out the bathroom or something?

Is the bedroom far away from her litterbox? If you have a large house you may need to put a litterbox closer to there so she can make it to the bathroom.

I can't answer exactly why she'd do that. It could be a health issue, but unless it happens again or there are other signs I wouldn't be worried. It may have just been a case of she really had to go for some reason and couldn't make it to the litterbox. :shrug:

Have you changed litter recently? Some cats are very picky about litter. If you change the type of litterbox they may not want to use it too.

sugarcatmom
April 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
One of the most common causes of cats pooping outside the box is constipation (that, and cling-ons that don't let go until kitty jumps out of the box or runs around the house trying to flee from it :laughing:).

Refresh my memory, what does Izzy eat?

14+kitties
April 23rd, 2010, 10:44 PM
If it was one small poo I would think it got stuck to her fur and she carried it along. It dropped off on your carpet and she was being a good girl trying to bury it. If it was an actual poo it would have probably been bigger. Did you check her box afterwards to see if there was a fresh one in the box? (the things we do for our babies)
You should see some of the interesting areas I find cling ons around here. :rolleyes:

BrownEyedGirl
April 25th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm thinking it was a cling-on poo. (and here I thought I was done talking about poo once DS got out of diapers LOL) Everything looks normal in her box.

I have not changed her litter since we got her, I did change her box but that's been almost a year ago too.

Appreciat y'alls help.

She is sleeping peacefully right now in my chair (or her chair I guess)

14+kitties
April 25th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Ohoh, you are getting dangerously close to that 100 mark!!! :D Then you become a senior member!!! YAY!!! And it's only taken almost a year! WOW!!!!! Hehe..

chico2
April 25th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I was thinking a cling-on too,he would still try to cover it:cat:

Love4himies
April 25th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I get lots of cling ons too, and yes, the kitties walk up to it, smell it, then try to bury it. :laughing: