Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP my unneutered male cat escaped!

dougjore
April 23rd, 2010, 09:25 AM
please help! my young unneutered male cat knocked out my screen in my window last night and escaped sometime between 6pm and 10pm while my roommate and i were both at work! he's been my cat from day one, always seems to have to be in the room with me while playing... otherwise he's on my lap. I live in an apartment complex with 15 other apartments and I have searched EVERYWHERE... (from 10pm until about 3am) I found 3 stray cats two homes away and he wasnt there (although wow did it get my hopes up from a distance) I live right next to a pretty steep hill with a bunch of trees that lead down into a marsh... Would that be the next best logical place to look? I live in a college town in the end of the campus area and i'm really getting worried. he's my first pet... (before i hear it from everyone, yes i know i should get him neutered.. ironically was actually getting it done this month before i move)

any suggestions?!

i've put some of his food out in front of the window he escaped with the t-shirt i had worn the previous day.

BenMax
April 23rd, 2010, 09:34 AM
Have you contacted any shelters or animal controls? Bring a photo and full description.

Good luck.

catlover2
April 23rd, 2010, 11:10 AM
This doesn't surprise me....it's amazing what a male cat will do if he smells a female in heat. He has gone acourting. :frustrated: Please everyone, gets your cats neutered early at 4 mos. of age! I really do hope you get him back. Probably a bunch of kittens will be born now that will end up as feral cats or if they're lucky in a shelter.:wall: :wall:

Ford
April 23rd, 2010, 01:16 PM
The OP came here looking for help, not to have judgement passed before anyone knows all the facts. If you have any helpful advice please post it. Otherwise, if you are unable to post without being offensive, please move on. Offending and chasing away new members does nothing to help the pet, and discourages others from coming here looking for help.

Your friendly neighbourhood mod,
Ford

BenMax
April 23rd, 2010, 01:43 PM
Set up posters around high human traffic areas such as grocery stores, corner stores etc.

Best of luck.

dougjore
April 25th, 2010, 06:08 AM
HAPPY ENDING!!!!! this morning, at about 5:15am, my kitty who was on his third night missing cried and walked back into our apartment from the same window he escaped from (i left it cracked just enough for my little guy to sneak in) wow was he thirsty and tired... drank about a whole bowl and laid down and purred himself to sleep! :D

and yes i will be taking him to the vet this week to get him checked out and neutered!

catlover2
April 25th, 2010, 07:20 AM
dougjore you must be on :cloud9: so happy your boy found his way back home. You are one of the lucky ones! Being near a ravine and marsh, he could have ended up as a fox or coyote meal. Hope you fixed the screen window so your escape artist can't do a repeat. Until you get him neutered I would not let him near a screened window.

Please tell your story to your friends and a campus newsletter to get their cats neutered or spayed, and not to let their pets go free if they no longer want them but take them to a shelter. This is a good opportunity for you to help others. :thumbs up

Winston
April 25th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Dougjore thanks for coming back and also letting us know he came home! Its nice to get an update! Yeah your gonna really have to watch him til he is neutered for sure cause he may try to get some freedom again!

Whats the little :evil: name? Any pics to share? Be extra careful when you move as well because some can become pretty good escape atrists!! :D

Cindy

Tundra_Queen
April 25th, 2010, 07:42 AM
That is wonderful news!!! I love happy endings!! *doing the happy dance* You must be so glad to have him back!!

Maybe u could get some pieces of thin stick like wood at a lumber store...to put them in the window so the window can only be opened so wide, so he can't get out anymore? Or something that parents use on the windows so kids don't open them wide enough and fall out? Cats can get out skinny spaces, but at least you'd be able to have the window open an inch or two and get a bit of air.

Debbie

dougjore
April 25th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Oh I will, trust me!!! I will be telling everyone. And yeah, I'm going to be extremely careful with him. I'm not opening a window anytime soon! haha.

I pretty much call him Kitty (original, right?! ha) but his name is Butters.

Here's a few pictures

14+kitties
April 25th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I am glad your boy came back. You were extremely lucky. :thumbs up
Do you think your landlord will allow you, or you can do it on your own, to put up some pet screening so you can have your window open and he can't get out? It is easy to replace the existing screen. The new stuff comes with instructions.

mikischo
April 25th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Butters is adorable.:lovestruck: So glad he came home safely.

chico2
April 25th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Finally some good news on our Forum:thumbs up,it's been a really sad week.
Butters is a beautiful little cat:cloud9:

catlover2
April 25th, 2010, 11:55 AM
"Butters" is gorgeous red & white mackeral tabby, and I can tell from his cheekiness that he's sexually mature---already has his "stud jowls". Red tabby&whites can be real scrappers and aggressive breeders, so check him over carefully. He may have got in some fights & received some bad cat bites or scratches that could become life-threatening abscesses, so if you see any lumps or wet spots on his coat and he goes off his food or seems not himself before he gets to the vet for neutering, take him in immediately. Have your vet check him over carefully when he's taken in for neutering. Thanks for the update on "spreading the news". Beautifuly boy is Butters! :cat:

hazelrunpack
April 25th, 2010, 03:59 PM
A happy ending! :highfive: Glad you got your beautiful boy back, dougjore!!

Love4himies
April 25th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Thank goodness :thumbs up, unaltered males can really fight when there is a female in heat.

BenMax
April 26th, 2010, 09:15 AM
PHewww. Thank goodness. You must be very relieved.

marko
April 26th, 2010, 09:19 AM
we love happy endings :highfive: :goodvibes:

mummummum
April 26th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Wahoot! You and Butters got lucky! Yay <insert happy dance>!!!!

krdahmer
April 26th, 2010, 02:38 PM
that is great news....and he certainly is a handsome little guy!!! :cloud9:

Shaykeija
April 26th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Can hardly wait to see Butters with no nutters .....:laughing:

Luvmypitgirls
May 1st, 2010, 01:28 AM
Can hardly wait to see Butters with no nutters .....:laughing:

Lmaoooooooooo....I'll ditto that!
Butters is a cutie and I'm so happy your kitty came home, and even happier that you are going to have him de-nuttered:D...He really is adorable:lovestruck: