Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A boy named Fred..

Luvmypitgirls
April 22nd, 2010, 11:38 PM
This evening we welcomed a sweet boy named "Fred" into our home for the next 48 hours. Fred, landed in Calgary this evening at 5:35, thanks to WestJet, he escaped the genocide his "race" faces in Ontario.
Unfortunately, he didn't escape the horrors of abuse and neglect.
Fred, who looks very much like my Jersey girl, except he's missing the eye patch and he has "huge" uh..."Jewels", is severely malnurished, and has wounds all over his legs. His spine juts out, his ribs show, and his hind end periodically falls over. I'm not a vet but I would hazard a guess that he has suffered some neurological damage from the neglect he has suffered.
It's obvious nobody ever took the time to teach him anything, and he's weary of human contact, but he shows no sign of human aggression whatsoever. I even put my hand in his dish while he ate, and put my face near his water while he drank and he showed no sign of food aggression or dish possession, which given what he's been thru is amazing to me.
I will take pics of him tomorrow after he's had a bath and some pampering. I only have him until Saturday morning, so I want to pamper him as much as possible till then.
He isn't very dog friendly, so he has to crate and rotate with my dogs, but I'm sure he will enjoy his stay here just the same.
His human will have to be truly dedicated, cuz this boy is going to need a lot of work, he has great spirit, and I'm sure he'll learn quickly. Of course I wish I could keep him, that goes without saying, but I'm sure there's a perfect human out there for him.

cassiek
April 23rd, 2010, 02:44 PM
LMPG, what a sweet thing you are doing for this boy.

:fingerscr he finds a wonderful home.

Chris21711
April 23rd, 2010, 03:02 PM
Way to go LMPG.....one more that escapes the Republic of Ontario...Yay :D

Dog Dancer
April 23rd, 2010, 03:32 PM
These stories break my heart. Bless you for stepping up to the plate to help this deserving boy. I am certain he will enjoy his time with you, and who knows, things can change a lot in a few days.... :D

BenMax
April 23rd, 2010, 03:35 PM
Unbelieveable isn't it.

Nice job Girl!:thumbs up

chico2
April 23rd, 2010, 04:33 PM
LMPG,you are doing a wonderful thing,I hope this boy will have a better future than he had,here in nasty Ontario:pray:
Thank you for being who you are:grouphug:

Dee-O-Gee
April 23rd, 2010, 09:59 PM
Ah sweet "Fred" (love his name :))

You're a wonderful person LMPG to take him in and prepare him for his forever home. Way to go! :thumbs up :highfive: Too bad an Ontarian couldn't do the same. :mad:

14+kitties
April 23rd, 2010, 10:08 PM
:grouphug: to you for helping out yet another loser of Ontario laws. :grouphug:

DoubleRR
April 24th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Thank you so much for what you are doing for Fred--fantastic.

joeysmama
April 24th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Oh my heart just breaks for this boy. I'm glad he's with you and I hope he is soon matched with his perfect human!

Luvmypitgirls
April 24th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Fred left us today to go to a long term foster home. I am crisis care and respite only, as I can't have long term fosters.
However I would've gladly kept this boy long term, but being that he is an intact male, and the severity of his issues he needs to be in a home with less dogs around to stress him out, a quieter environment where he can recoup.
I did some assessments on him, reported to the rescue my observations and concerns, and now it's out of my hands.
All I know is I cried all the way home from Calgary to High River, I didn't want to let him go, he really touched my heart, they all do, but I especially get attached to those really harsh hard luck cases, some people say it could be because I grew up in foster care so a part of me relates to the dogs and their plights....I don't know if that's the case, all I do know is I wish I could rescue them all.:(
I got some great pics of Fred, and I'll post them tomorrow, I was going to do it today, but to be honest I'm just feeling to sad to do it right now.

chico2
April 25th, 2010, 09:34 AM
LMPG,now you have me in tears too,I have never done what you do,but I think I understand how you feel.
Hopefully,Freds issues is something that can be helped:pray:

hazelrunpack
April 27th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Will the new foster family keep you updated, LMPG? :fingerscr He sounds like a lovely soul. :grouphug: You did a good thing! :angel:

Luvmypitgirls
April 27th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Will the new foster family keep you updated, LMPG? :fingerscr He sounds like a lovely soul. :grouphug: You did a good thing! :angel:

He's with the new President (owner) of PBFL, she's willing to adopt him for herself if need be. He's won her over too.:D

hazelrunpack
April 27th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I hope she has a good camera! :D :fingerscr

mummummum
April 28th, 2010, 04:57 AM
I hope she has a good camera! :D :fingerscr

Double ditto.

And from us Onscarions ~ THANK YOU!

Love4himies
April 28th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Thank you for helping out this poor boy :(. Just sickens me when the BSL is mentioned :(

Do you think his aggression issues will subside with neutering :pray:?

I know how you feel about saying good bye to fosters :cry:, it doesn't take long for them to touch your heart. :grouphug:

Luvmypitgirls
April 28th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Thank you for helping out this poor boy :(. Just sickens me when the BSL is mentioned :(

Do you think his aggression issues will subside with neutering :pray:?

I know how you feel about saying good bye to fosters :cry:, it doesn't take long for them to touch your heart. :grouphug:

Actually the day after he arrived I introduced him to my dogs again and he was fine, he really liked Jersey and was fine with Kato laying infront of his crate, they exchanged a couple of kisses.
Of course neutering him is essential for many reasons, but I don't think he's actually dog aggressive.