Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Onnie Diarrhea

onster
April 22nd, 2010, 11:57 AM
For the past while when Ive cleaned the litterbox Ive been noticing unformed poops didn't know who but suspected Onnie because Ive had to clean him up (not too bad though). Since both boys were acting normally, playful, purring, cuddling etc I didn't think much of it especially since theyve been eating lots of grass lately from being outside with me.

Well yesterday when I was cleaning the litterbox Onnie went in front of me. Sorry this may be a bit gross, but he passing a lot of gas as he was going, it was very runny with only a somewhat formed shape at the very end. Also when he got out of the box there was still something clinging to him, which turned out to be clear-white mucous :yuck: Onnie was straining to go too.

The thing is we recently (past 2 weeks) ran out of food (fromms) so my brother picked up a bag of nutiriton first by PC and weve been feeding that for the week. As of yesterday I immediately got a bag of fromms and dumped the PC thinking may he was intolerating something in it. I was hoping it was just a food change thing and want to give it a few days before going to the vet, monday at the lastest if there is no change.

I don't want to take him to the vet when all it is is a food change but the mucous kinda freaked me out also the gas seemed different too. After he went to the box I cleaned him up and he was his normal self, purring playing, wanting brushing. Also his appetite is normal as is his thirst.

What do you guys think? Can I wait it out a few days or is this a go to the vet now kind of thing?

breeze
April 22nd, 2010, 12:13 PM
don't know a lot of kitty stuff,
but I do know if it were the beasts I would wait. to me it reminds me of Bree with an upset tummy/intestines when I give her something new..JMO though

:goodvibes::goodvibes: for Onnie

onster
April 22nd, 2010, 12:20 PM
thank you breeze :grouphug: I'm just not used to Onnie having poop problems, it's always bunduk.

Onnie gets sooo upset and stress in the car too, pants like mad and drools I just don't want to take him to the vet if its not needed...at the same time I worry. :o I may end up taking him tomorrow if I see no improvement by end of today. I tried some probiotics and butternut squash 2days ago but didn't seem to help (i was still seeing unformed poop in the box).

breeze
April 22nd, 2010, 12:30 PM
it might take a couple of days before the upset from the other food to clear non??

Love4himies
April 22nd, 2010, 12:42 PM
The colon works very similar to the sinuses, when it gets sick (allergies, viruses, bacterial, etc), it produces more mucus then normal. There is always mucus present in feces, it is just so little that you don't notice it.

If you have noticed a correlation of his change in feces with the change in food, then I would bet that it is the food and something in the new food is causing an intolerance.

I would wait for a few days to see if it clears up, it will take some time for the colon to heal. Also because of the diarrhea and them eating kibble, you may want to try to give him syringes of water so he doesn't dehydrate or have his urine get too concentrated.

onster
April 22nd, 2010, 12:47 PM
Breeze that's true. I've cut out treats for now too and we'll see how it goes. I was just reading online :o and apparently it could be sign of blockage :eek: but I'm thinking since he's acting normal otherwise it's probably unlikely plus he's still a little piggy when it comes to his appetite.

L4H that was very informative, thank you.

It was back to their old food as of last night, we'll see how it goes :fingerscr

I'll update if there is any change.

breeze
April 22nd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Breeze that's true. I've cut out treats for now too and we'll see how it goes. I was just reading online :o and apparently it could be sign of blockage :eek: but I'm thinking since he's acting normal otherwise it's probably unlikely plus he's still a little piggy when it comes to his appetite.

L4H that was very informative, thank you.

It was back to their old food as of last night, we'll see how it goes :fingerscr

I'll update if there is any change.

and pictures of the your kitty cats, don't forget the pictures :D:D

:goodvibes::fingerscr:goodvibes:

onster
April 22nd, 2010, 12:50 PM
They also share one can of food per day, my mom suggested I cut that out too for the next while but I'm thinking since the canned food is not new (nature's balance I think and theyve been eating for past several months) I should probably keep it in for hyrdation sake, maybe even add extra water, Onnie likes it soupy.

onster
April 22nd, 2010, 12:52 PM
and pictures of the your kitty cats, don't forget the pictures :D:D

:goodvibes::fingerscr:goodvibes:

lol yes and pictures it's long overdue!!! If the weather is good this weekend I'll take some pics with them in the yard with me :D But i counter that with: we havent seen pictures of your furries for a while either :P! *hint hint* ;)

breeze
April 22nd, 2010, 12:55 PM
lol yes and pictures it's long overdue!!! If the weather is good this weekend I'll take some pics with them in the yard with me :D But i counter that with: we havent seen pictures of your furries for a while either :P! *hint hint* ;)

:thumbs up:thumbs up I am hoping for good weather on your end

:p:p if I post to many people get bored with them :D

hazelrunpack
April 22nd, 2010, 02:07 PM
Sorry to hear Onnie is having problems, onster! I hope it's just a food-related thing :goodvibes:

And I think both of you have been highly lax in posting pics. :frustrated: :p

breeze
April 22nd, 2010, 03:00 PM
And I think both of you have been highly lax in posting pics. :frustrated: :p

I think Onster more than me :rolleyes::p:D

Dee-O-Gee
April 22nd, 2010, 10:00 PM
Welcome back Onster! :thumbs up

Switching food can play havoc on little tummies. I would hold off on taking Onnie to the vet and see if it was just a food related situation. :shrug:

:highfive: to Onnie (and of course Bunduk too!) :thumbs up

14+kitties
April 22nd, 2010, 10:47 PM
Another vote for the food here. Have you got probiotics for him? May help settle his little belly quicker.
I don't need to tell you I am glad you are finished your exams and can spend a little more time with us now too, do I? We miss you and your wonderful stories. :grouphug:

Frenchy
April 23rd, 2010, 09:57 AM
I would also say it's the food changes , and to wait a bit more. Could take a week or two before poop goes back to normal. :goodvibes:

edwina
April 26th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Is Onnie any better ? :pray:

breeze
April 27th, 2010, 09:26 AM
how is Onnie doing today onster????

onster
June 7th, 2010, 08:44 PM
A horribly late update but an update nonetheless. After having his poop become somewhat firmer then looser then firmer etc. it's still not normal even now that were on the 2nd bag of their original food . He's been scooting too (I only know this cuz theres brown streaks on the carpet next to the litter boxes :yuck::yuck: a joy to clean up). I also have had to wipe a not so clean bum a few times here and there.

I actually feel really bad I havent taken him sooner to the vet and havent been able to catch him 'in the act' again to see what is really going on, Ive just been so busy & rarely home. I suppose I hoped his digestive tract would sort itself out and while it did look like it briefly did for a while it's not the case. In any case Mr. Onnie has a vet apptment at 10:15am to see what we can do. I know the vet will also ask me to put my butterball on a diet :o

Poor baby he gets so freaked out when I put him in the carrier. :(

hazelrunpack
June 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I hope it's nothing, onster! :goodvibes: I know how hard it is not to worry but at least you'll know tomorrow! :grouphug:

otter
June 7th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Oh, poor Onnie :(

I hope it's nothing Onster :fingerscr I'm sure it's just from the grass and spring stuff. Seems lots of poop issues with the furries these days (Nolie too).

Hugs for you and Onnie, hope the vet visit goes well and not too traumatic for anyone :goodvibes::grouphug:

onster
June 8th, 2010, 11:54 AM
thanks guys :goodvibes:

and the verdict is: full anal glands and coccidia :yuck:. She suspected Giardia too as both coccidia and giardia are rife this yr with the wet spring but was negative. So now I have 2 weeks worth of pills for both cats (even tho Bunduk has nice firm stools but its a precaution) but Im leaving to Egypt in a little over a week :eek:

Lil bro is gonna have fun pilling cats for the first time ever me thinks:o

Also have to clean and disinfect litterboxes daily for the 2 weeks to prevent reinfection. After 2 months Onnie has to have a recheck also.

hazelrunpack
June 8th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I'm glad the vet pinpointed the problem for you! Now all you have to do is get lil bro some body armor and a few lessons in pilling a cat. :p

How hard is Onnie to pill? Is he a difficult patient? :o

Love4himies
June 8th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Glad you found the answer :thumbs up.

Full anal glands can happen if the poops are not firm enough to push against the glands, a problem Jasper has if he eats kibble/grain food.

ancientgirl
June 8th, 2010, 12:51 PM
At least now you know what he's got. Can't you get the meds in liquid form? I find mine are way easier to medicate with a liquid than a pill.