Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I miss Dakota so much I can't take it!

Mr.PupPups
April 21st, 2010, 07:12 PM
On April 10th my 10 yr old German Shepherd Dakota went from playing with his ball to 10 minutes later dying on emergency vets table. BLOAT :evil:
I raised him from 12 weeks old. After a near fatal auto accident that left me in a wheelchair 6 yrs ago, I had him certified to be my service dog. My best friend ever. We were together 24/7. Im so lost without him. I don't know how to handle the shock or grief. Since my accident 6yrs ago, I have lost both of my quarter horses skeeter, monterey and my farm. I thought I would never get through the loss and pain. Well, that was nothing! I expected to have at a minimum 2 good years left with Dakota. To top it off, Bill (my fiancee) and I are having to fight a 6k bill for 10 minutes of fluids before he died. I am so angry. Am I just looking for someone to blame? What if Bill wasn't a phone call away with a credit card? They wouldn't even have looked at Dakota. My broken heart has been ripped out and stomped on! I want to go to Heaven to be with him. :candle:

I miss and love you so much Dakota Lynne aka Mr.PupPups

Winston
April 21st, 2010, 07:33 PM
Welcome to the site and I am so sorry your having to go through this. My condolenses to you and your family.

Be at peance and know that your sweet pup is running free at the Rainbow Bridge with all those that have gone before! I wish you some comfort with this thought!

You have reached out to a wonderful family of friends that have been through what you a going through. Somehow someway you willl get through it! and we are all here for you!

Cindy

:rip::dog::candle:

BusterBoo
April 21st, 2010, 08:10 PM
:sorry:

You are definitely going through a very, very rough time and I wish there was something I could say to help you.

:rip: sweet Dakota :pray:

Mr.PupPups
April 21st, 2010, 08:17 PM
Thank You both so much for the kind words. I'm glad I found this site.:grouphug:

lindapalm
April 21st, 2010, 09:46 PM
I lost my dog two months ago, and it is heartbreaking. In your case it is even worse because he was a service dog, and that much closer to you. Thankfully he didn't suffer long with a disease, which would have been harder on you and him. You tried everything possible to save him and I'm sure he knew he was much loved. I'm so sorry.

hazelrunpack
April 21st, 2010, 10:44 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, Lynne :grouphug: He was such a special boy!

:candle: Dakota

MyBirdIsEvil
April 22nd, 2010, 12:01 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss :grouphug: and I understand since I suddenly lost 2 of my dogs to poisoning almost 2 weeks ago. One of them was like my doggy soulmate and me and my husband miss her very much. She was only 4 1/2 years old. We honestly contemplated whether it was worth going on without her since so much of our life revolved around her. :(
If it wasn't for the other animals we have a responsibility to....

$6,000. I can't imagine how angry you are. Our vet in town charged us almost $500 for 2 of our dogs to die within 10 mins on their table and to give the 3rd dog, who survived thank god, a bag of IV fluid and a shot of valium before we rushed her to the emergency vet 45 min away. In comparison the ER vet charged almost $500 for our dog to be there 2 days and they actually DID something, and that's an emergency clinic which is generally more expensive than a regular vet, and they oversee your dog 24/7. The vet in town was just gonna leave here there over the weekend on IV fluid with no one watching her and acted annoyed when we said we were gonna take her to the emergency vet instead so someone could watch her 24/7 over the weekend.

I also understand looking for someone to blame since I keep thinking "What if the vet could have done something quicker? Maybe they would have lived," Or what if we would have gotten home quicker, we could have taken them to their normal vet who actually knows what he's doing. Even though I know it's unlikely because they were so far gone at the time we got there. It's stuff that can't be changed though. Like the serenity prayer says, "Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; Courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference"

chico2
April 22nd, 2010, 07:15 AM
OMG,I am so very sorry,it seems you've had one heartbreaking event after the other:grouphug:
I know it's difficult to see any light at the end of the tunnel,especially after losing such a close wonderful friend.
We are all here for you if you need support and understanding:grouphug:

14+kitties
April 22nd, 2010, 10:05 PM
:candle::rip: Dakota :candle:

Dog Dancer
April 23rd, 2010, 03:27 PM
Lynne I am sorry to hear that you have lost your beloved Dakota. Yes, I imagine it does seem, after all that you have already been through, that this is too much to bear. In your heart please know that Dakota would not want you to be thinking that. He gave your all his heart and soul so that you would go on, and now that is what you must do. You've obviously dug deep within yourself before and now you will do it again. When the time is right perhaps you will get a new service dog who will, in their own magical way, help you to recover and carry on again. RIP sweet Dakota, run free at the bridge knowing your mom and dad miss you and love you still.

wendy205
April 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
dear mr pups,
how sad when i read this memoriam,
poor dakota, bloat is a terrible condition, and i believe young dogs can get it to, what a sad story of a close companion that had been with you all them yrs, we really get more closer to them when they reach the end, its a fatal condition and really theres no one to blame, but we all want them to live forever, its the part of our greed.
dakota, must have had a real strong bond with you and im sure he knows that where he is,
\I lost mine 16+ yrs november 2008 dougal, i simply know what the feeling s like the missing is terrible not having to replace such a special boy,
i hope hes free in heaven and all we really want to be is close to them,
my love to dear dakota, and my deepest sympathy for your sad loss at this time of need.
memorie will live forever in our hearts, they say that time may mend a broken heart, but memories will live forever in our hearts.
r.i.p. dakota:candle::grouphug::angel2:

growler~GateKeeper
April 25th, 2010, 02:33 AM
:rip: sweet :angel2: Dakota :candle: He is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle:

Wolff-jigs
May 24th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I'm sorry to read this :(

I lost one dog to bloat in 1993, it's a terrible malady I cant believe they still cant figure out the cause of.

I had 2 Saints with bloat in recent years, litter sisters, and one of them had it twice the other three times or four.
I every case it happened when I was here, most of the times it was very late at night- 4 or 5 AM and they had been fed around 1 AM and to bed then.

In every case I was awakened and acted fast, my local vet saved them every time.
My girl who had it the fourth time was about 11 years old and I decided after the third time that if it happened again that was the end of the road for her.
Research has shown once they have it once, it tends to happen again. Further research shows the conservative action of tubing the stomach will cause it ro occur again soon after, so surgery seems to be the best course of action but its a dire emergency!

I watched the dog literally expand as I was getting dressed, it was like someone stuck a tire pump in her and was blowing her full of air, it was that fast and that dramatic.

Out here in the country theres no 24 hour vet, so it was was a 4 AM wake up for my vet who lives 30 minutes away.

30 minutes from the FIRST sign to being on the table seems to be the window you have to work with. In all of these surgeries I assisted the doctor since it was just he and I alone. The pressure in one instance was so great I was amazed, when the doctor made the incision in the stomach to release the pressure, food hit the wall and upper cabinets on the the wall.

In each case, the total bill was usually around $150, charged mostly for their general surgery rate which is about $100/hour.

The success time window may vary for different reasons, but in my case I had about 30 minutes worth of a window and the dogs survived.
But for anyone who has a dog develop this, you need to get to the vet ASAP, I would guess many dogs are lost because the early symptoms are missed, the owner is away at work, or the dog is outside and by the time the owner recognizes something is wrong, too much time has elapsed.

It does not seem to matter what feed you feed the dog either.
Mine never ran around after the meal, they were fed just before bedtime, they didnt really meet the usual cautionary things were told to avoid bloat, they were calm, low stress dogs, didnt gulp their food.

In short, we just don't have the answers and are grasping at straws, but avoiding running ater meals and "tanking up" on water after eating would be bad.
I feed mine now twice a day, no water after bedtime, the bloat incidents seemed to happen late at night after the last meel, they did drink water then and bloated up 3-4 hours later, could be a causal relationship or contributing factor there.

Luvmypitgirls
June 21st, 2010, 11:47 PM
Omg, I am so sorry for everything you have gone thru in recent years and my heart goes out to you for the loss of Dakota.:cry:
I wish there was something I could say that would lessen your pain.
I am going to keep you in my thoughts and prayers, I hope life has something extremely wonderful in store for you. Please try and hang in there, there's lots of great folks on this site, so please feel free to post when you need to rant, cry...anything at all, you'll find that a lot of ppl here will be willing to reach out to you.
Again my heartfelt condolences for the loss of Dakota.

RIP Dakota, :candle: