Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

It pains my cat to put her leg down

max&mylo
April 19th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I have a fat, short cat. She weighs about 15 lbs, and has short little legs. Lately, every time she lays down, she acts like she's going to lick/clean her rear end, and lifts her leg to go over her head. But she just sits there like that. Sometimes she licks for quite awhile, but other times, she just sits there with her leg up, like it hurts her to put her leg down. I think something might be wrong with her rear end. I sat and held her leg up for her once while laying on the couch because I could tell she was tired of keeping it up, but it hurt her to put it down. Any ideas?

Frenchy
April 19th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I think this may only be because she's too fat. May I ask what you're feeding her ?

Also , when was the last time you took her for a vet visit ? I would take her , just to make sure she's ok.

max&mylo
April 19th, 2010, 08:31 PM
She's on dry Iams hairball/weight reduction food- 1/2 cup a day and she's NOT losing weight. She just got a clean bill of health from the vet in February, the doc said she wasn't a dangerous weight, not even obese, just a little overweight, so he put me on that Iams diet since I can't really afford the expensive weight loss food :(....I don't think it's because she's too fat, I think something is wrong with her rear end. I suppose I could take her in some time this week, I just figured I'd ask on here in case someone else has heard of this before. Thanks

Frenchy
April 19th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Bringing her to the vet for a check up is very good.

BUT ... the food .... will not help :yell: Cats shouldn't be on dry diet , like never. Of course , your vet will say otherwise ... because he makes $$$ out of it.

Dry food can cause obesity , urinary track infections , crystals , constipation .... it's better to go with wet food , even if it's a cheaper brand. Also , you can read on our food forum about feeding raw diet. If you do your research , make it yourself , and shop for your meat , it can be affordable.

max&mylo
April 19th, 2010, 09:05 PM
What brands of cheap(er) wet food would you recommend?

Frenchy
April 19th, 2010, 09:07 PM
What brands of cheap(er) wet food would you recommend?

If you don't mind me asking (again :p) how much does it cost you now per week / month ?

MyBirdIsEvil
April 20th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Weight loss formula doesn't matter if you're still overfeeding. Overconsumption of calories that lead to overweight cats, not the formula. You can go with a better quality food and feed less and it will be much better for your cat than feeding crappy Iams dry food.

Look at it this way. You know the diet food they sell at the store (for people)? If you eat a bunch of it will you lose weight? Nope. Just because it's diet food doesn't mean you will lose weight if you're eating way too much. Same with your cat. Cutting down on the amount fed will have a more drastic effect than switching to a weight loss formula.

As far as reasonably priced store brand wet foods, Fancy Feast is a pretty good choice. But really, just about ANY store brand wet food is going to be better quality than dry food.

Regarding her leg, not sure what that would be. May just be related to her being overweight. Cats are odd sometimes. You would have to ask the vet about it.

Why the hairball formula? Does she have trouble with hairballs? Feeding a higher quality wet food will reduce her shedding. Also brushing her every day will help a lot. There's no need to feed a hairball formula.

max&mylo
April 20th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I don't feel like I am overfeeding her. I feed her 1/4 cup in the morning, and a 1/4 up at night. she doesn't get the chance to snack during the day, nor do I give many treats (because of her weight). It must be the crappy dry food. I'll definitely switch to wet food. Are there weight loss feeding recommendations on the can? Or how much should i feed for a gradual weight loss?

The only reason it's hairball control is because that's the only 'weight reduction' formula Iams carries in my area. It's a combo bag:

http://www.iams.com/iams/premium-pet-food/diet-cat-food.jsp

And it costs $14 for a 13lb bag, I believe. But I have 2 cats, and it lasts about 3-4 weeks. So I'm not spending much on food- so I could upgrade to wet food for awhile, and see how that affects our budget since I don't know how much it'll cost, nor how much I will need.

MyBirdIsEvil
April 20th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Half a cup a day doesn't sound like much, but what is her normal weight supposed to be?

Most cans don't have weight loss charts. Just feed for what her weight SHOULD be. For an 8 lb cat you normally feed one 6 oz can a day unless they're active. Doesn't sound like your cat is active if she's not losing weight on such a small amount of food. 6 oz of canned food a day will be sufficient for your kitty while she's losing weight. She's already eating a lesser amount of the dry stuff anyway.

If she doesn't lose weight on such a controlled diet try giving her more exercise. Some cats will do treadmill (not many, I have one that will, but she's already skinny, go figure :shrug:). But the easiest thing is just to play with her. Get her to chase stuff and run around.
If none of that works then you need to start looking for health issues, like underactive thyroid, with your vet.

14+kitties
April 20th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I don't feel like I am overfeeding her. I feed her 1/4 cup in the morning, and a 1/4 up at night. she doesn't get the chance to snack during the day, nor do I give many treats (because of her weight). It must be the crappy dry food. I'll definitely switch to wet food. Are there weight loss feeding recommendations on the can? Or how much should i feed for a gradual weight loss?

The only reason it's hairball control is because that's the only 'weight reduction' formula Iams carries in my area. It's a combo bag:

http://www.iams.com/iams/premium-pet-food/diet-cat-food.jsp

And it costs $14 for a 13lb bag, I believe. But I have 2 cats, and it lasts about 3-4 weeks. So I'm not spending much on food- so I could upgrade to wet food for awhile, and see how that affects our budget since I don't know how much it'll cost, nor how much I will need.

A good site for you to read is www.catinfo.org It will give you a lot of very good information about why you should not be feeding dry. What you want is a gradual weight loss. A quick loss is not great for a cat's health. If your cats don't like wet you may need to do a gradual change over. Expect some diarrhea when changing foods.
A cat should be getting the equivalent of 30 calories per pound of body weight - give or take. Some may not want that much. Others may want a bit more. To begin with I would start with a cat split in the morning, another one split at night between the two cats.

max&mylo
April 20th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks. Your information is very helpful. I made an appointment for her for later this week.

But what puzzles me, is she gets a lot of exercise. She is 5 years old, and has a 1 year old "little brother" (who is twice her size..) who she is constantly zooming around the house with. They run up and down the stairs, fly around the furniture, stalk one another- they play quite frequently. Maybe she just hurt herself playing with him...? But yeah, he keeps her active- so her activity level isn't a problem, I don't think?

The vet said her normal weight should be around 8-10 pounds for her stature. And right now she's a little under 15. She is a round pudgy thing with short little legs, and little head, she is disproportionate, really. (she's the black and white one, and they aren't outdoor cats- when it's nice, we let them roam around the deck though :) )

MyBirdIsEvil
April 20th, 2010, 01:08 PM
That is kind of odd. She shouldn't be overweight on a controlled diet like that and with her activity level.

Switching to the moist food may help her metabolism. Cats shouldn't have so many grains like are present in dried foods.

max&mylo
April 20th, 2010, 01:09 PM
. To begin with I would start with a cat split in the morning, another one split at night between the two cats.

Should I feed them separately? until the food is all gone? Because whenever our 1 year old male is done eating, mylo (the cat in the hotseat) eats whatever he didn't, wet or dry. and they love wet food, so it should be an easy transition.

14+kitties
April 20th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Should I feed them separately? until the food is all gone? Because whenever our 1 year old male is done eating, mylo (the cat in the hotseat) eats whatever he didn't, wet or dry. and they love wet food, so it should be an easy transition.

It may be a good idea to lift the males' food once he is done. Or feed him a little less if it seems he requires less. He sure isn't overweight, is he? :D You could always give him a little more in another room later in the day if he seems he is looking for food.
You said you were feeding 1/4 cup in the morning, 1/4 at night. Sounds like Ms. Portly was maybe eating the larger portion. I have one who is shaped just like her. :o She is on a wet only diet too.

14+kitties
April 20th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Before you go to see your vet give that site I gave you a good perusing. It will give you some ammunition when your vet tries telling you that their dry over cooked grain filled nuggets are better for your meat eating cat than wet food. :thumbs up

max&mylo
April 20th, 2010, 01:28 PM
No- he's not overweight. He has a little ponch, but it's not as big as Mylo's! :) That's a good idea to take remove his food when he is done because yes, Mylo will move right over to his bowl when she's finished with his, I can just see it now...

So we'll feed them each a 1/2 can in the morning and a 1/2 can in the evening. Thanks for your advice.

14+kitties
April 20th, 2010, 01:35 PM
No- he's not overweight. He has a little ponch, but it's not as big as Mylo's! :) That's a good idea to take remove his food when he is done because yes, Mylo will move right over to his bowl when she's finished with his, I can just see it now...

So we'll feed them each a 1/2 can in the morning and a 1/2 can in the evening. Thanks for your advice.

That's a good guideline to start with. You may find that Mylo is losing weight too fast. In that case you would want to give a little more, maybe a teaspoonful, of food with at least one meal. That may be enough to put her on an even keel. When we are talking about cans we are talking the 5.5 oz size, not the larger ones.
Optimally, if your budget can handle it, the best foods to feed are the ones with no grains, corn, or by products in. That is food like Wellness, Nature's Balance, Evo 95%, etc which can be found at good pet food stores. You can also find natural treats there like dried chicken strips. Kitties sometimes go crazy for them and they are healthier than the other crap filled treats out there.
Stick around. We'll get Mylo on the right track. :thumbs up :D

max&mylo
April 20th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Unfortunately, :(, we don't have a good pet food store around here. All we have are the usual- Wal-mart, Target, Shopko...grocery stores, things like that. The nearest Pet store is an hour away. Should we just try Whiskas/Friskies or other commercial brands that those types of department stores usually carry? Those would still produce results, right?

rjesak
April 20th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I switched my cats about a year ago to an all wet food diet. Although I had one very overweight cat, I put down enough for them to eat their fill. My overweight cat is always going to be a jumbo cat but he dropped from 17 pounds down to 14 over the course of the year. :thumbs up

As far as brands go, I currently use Wellness grain free (which ends up being about $8 per cat per week. Previously they were on Fancy Feast which was about $7 per cat per week. It's definitely more expensive than dry but the cats are visibly healthier. In all honesty, I think any wet food is better than dry (especially for the male cat) but if you can find a grain free variety (Fancy Feast is the only grocery store brand that I've seen that has any and they don't mark the label so you have to read the ingredients), I think that will help your cat most with the weight loss issue.

It may be that you don't need to control the amount as stringently once they're on the wet food. I didn't put any restrictions on them but Zander lost weight on the wet anyway. It's funny because the cats that were the proper weight stayed the same - I can't explain that! :shrug:

It made a really big difference in my cat's weight - I hope it does for yours too! Of course, that doesn't help much with the leg! :D Good luck with the vet's visit! :fingerscr

max&mylo
April 20th, 2010, 02:27 PM
so when you say don't put them on any restrictions, do you mean don't be overly stringent about their food? Just put out 1/2 can for each in the morning and in the night, and let them eat it whenever during the day? or should i be strict about it and only let her eat 1/2 can in the morning, tops, and 1/2 can at night before going to bed?

sugarcatmom
April 20th, 2010, 02:40 PM
so when you say don't put them on any restrictions, do you mean don't be overly stringent about their food? Just put out 1/2 can for each in the morning and in the night, and let them eat it whenever during the day? or should i be strict about it and only let her eat 1/2 can in the morning, tops, and 1/2 can at night before going to bed?

I would let them eat as much as they want for now, and see how they do. I think too much emphasis is being put on the volume of food they should eat and not enough on the calories. Depending on which foods you choose, there can be a huge range of caloric density, anywhere from 25 cal/oz to 40cal/oz. If Mylo's ideal weight is around 10lbs, she should be getting about 25 cal/lb or 250 calories a day. Adjustments up or down can be made depending on how she does with that. Many of the Friskies/Fancy Feast/9Lives type foods are approximately 30 cal/oz, so I don't think one 5.5 oz can is going to be enough. Maybe 1 1/2 cans each, but again, it depends on how many calories are in each can.

BrownEyedGirl
April 20th, 2010, 03:53 PM
So much info here, Izzy need to lose some weight as well. We have a local feed store that I've recently started buying her food at (Innova), thankfully she adapted pretty well. She is down about 4 oz. :laughing:

My poor DS was so disappointed when we weigh her and she is only down 2 oz or so. I had to explain cats dont lose like people. We lost pounds at a time (well those that try to diet do, since I'm not trying very hard, I'm only losing ounces too :laughing: :laughing:) where cats lose ounces. It will be a long process.

MyBirdIsEvil
April 20th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Actually, Walmart has started carrying some relatively decent brands in some places, so you might want to check on that. Moreso with dog food, but they might have some decent cat food too, you never know.

MyBirdIsEvil
April 20th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I would let them eat as much as they want for now, and see how they do. I think too much emphasis is being put on the volume of food they should eat and not enough on the calories. Depending on which foods you choose, there can be a huge range of caloric density, anywhere from 25 cal/oz to 40cal/oz. If Mylo's ideal weight is around 10lbs, she should be getting about 25 cal/lb or 250 calories a day. Adjustments up or down can be made depending on how she does with that. Many of the Friskies/Fancy Feast/9Lives type foods are approximately 30 cal/oz, so I don't think one 5.5 oz can is going to be enough. Maybe 1 1/2 cans each, but again, it depends on how many calories are in each can.

I think 30 cal/oz is not enough for the orange tabby, but it may be enough for the overweight cat for now unless she starts losing weight too quick.

There's nothing wrong with starting with more to be on the safe side though, so I pretty much agree. If she doesn't lose weight you can always go down a bit.

All and all the cat seems pretty healthy right now, overweight or not, so there's no reason to make her try to lose weight too quick. Cats don't do well losing weight too quickly anyway and it can cause more problems than her being overweight.

max&mylo
April 20th, 2010, 08:06 PM
thanks! i got a 32 pack of Friskie's Poultry Pack (wet) since the cat info webpage said that turkey and chicken are good things to feed them. One ingredient in it is corn starch, which made me cringe, but it looked like most had it- even Fancy Feast. I pretty much analyzed every single brand's ingredients and this one looked the best, so we'll see what happens. Thanks for all of your feedback. And she has a vet appointment tomorrow, I'll update as to what I find out about her leg, which was the original topic of this pained-leg-turned-weight-problem topic :)

14+kitties
April 20th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Are you totally confused yet? Wait till we add feeding raw to the mix. :D

Seriously, Mylo is five, right? I find my older kitties really don't tend to eat a whole can each a day. I feed approx 24 to 28 cans a day to 30 cats. Some days I have food left over. Others, maybe one day a week, it will all be gone. Once they hit about 10 or 11 months they don't normally eat as much as kittens do. Of course you get a food hound occasionally. Benni is that for me. But even she doesn't eat a full 5 oz can a day. :shrug: I do give a small amount of dry because I feed so many but that is not always eaten either.

I think the best thing for you to do is to play it by ear. If your cats are eating all you give them then yes, give them a bit more. They will regulate themselves once they realize this new, better food isn't going to disappear. :thumbs up

BrownEyedGirl - My vet recently told me that a cat losing one pound is equivalent to us losing 10. So maybe those four ounces aren't so bad after all. :highfive:

Maruska
April 21st, 2010, 08:37 PM
I not an expert, but i want to add my :2cents:
From my own experience the wet food is definitely way to go especially for losing weight. Last fall, i switched both of my cats to wet food and its being better than i expected. My older cat, Kissa, was getting dangerously close to being obese and younger one constantly had a problem with his stool even after being pronounced clean of parasites. In 2 months Kissa went from 10.2 lb to 9.2 lb (which is more suitable for her frame) and Shura's stool problems vanished as well. I do not control their portions, they are fed on demand. At first they were eating about half a can each 3-4 times a day, right now 2-3 times a day is enough to keep them full. Also, exercising them once a day about 15 minutes sessions or until they had enough of a play is helpful.
For choosing a good food i always use 3 rules:
1. the ingredients list should be as short as possible, the longer it is the worst the quality.
2. if you don't know how to pronounce an ingredients in that food, try to stay away from it.
3. if you don't know what those ingredients are, you probably would not want to feed it to your family.
Lastly, i personally prefer Fancy Feast because its sold basically everywhere, its not expensive and my cats love it. It costs 7.99$ per 12 cans. Sometimes u can find better deals with bigger boxes, but they are rare to find. But again, with FF you have to read your ingredients since in some flavors you can find odd ingredient.
Other good quality wet food but more expensive and usually sold at specialty stores are Wellness and Feline Pride.
Hope i helped a bit))

14+kitties
April 21st, 2010, 10:40 PM
I do not control their portions, they are fed on demand. At first they were eating about half a can each 3-4 times a day, right now 2-3 times a day is enough to keep them full. Also, exercising them once a day about 15 minutes sessions or until they had enough of a play is helpful.

Lastly, i personally prefer Fancy Feast because its sold basically everywhere, its not expensive and my cats love it. It costs 7.99$ per 12 cans. Sometimes u can find better deals with bigger boxes, but they are rare to find. But again, with FF you have to read your ingredients since in some flavors you can find odd ingredient.

So a can of Fancy Feast is 85 g. or almost 3 oz. A normal size can is usually 156 g. or 5.5 oz. The 3 - 4 times a day or 2 - 3 times a day is about right on track with the 1 to 1.5 cans of the 5.5 size daily.

max&mylo
April 22nd, 2010, 10:28 AM
Okay good. Because that's what I've been giving. I give them each a 1/2 can in the morning, 1/2 can in the afternoon and 1/2 can before we go to bed, and every time, it has been gone when I feed them next. And they don't seem to be running around begging for food, so I'm assuming it's enough. I went with the friskie's brand. i got 32 cans for $13.00, and right now, that fits my budge pretty good. So about 32 cans/3 cans a day=about 10 days. So I should figure in about $40/month now for cat food....that's a lot more than I was paying before! But it's worth it for the health of my kitties.

I took Mylo to the vet yesterday, and they found out she has a really bad bladder infection :( So now they've got her on an antibiotic regimen, and she should feel better soon. The vet said she couldn't put her leg down because it hurt her rear end since it was irritated from not being able to go to the bathroom. My poor little girl! So hopefully the antibiotics kick in soon!

Thanks for all of your guys' help! Mylo thanks you too! :)

BrownEyedGirl
April 22nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
Okay good. Because that's what I've been giving. I give them each a 1/2 can in the morning, 1/2 can in the afternoon and 1/2 can before we go to bed, and every time, it has been gone when I feed them next. And they don't seem to be running around begging for food, so I'm assuming it's enough. I went with the friskie's brand. i got 32 cans for $13.00, and right now, that fits my budge pretty good. So about 32 cans/3 cans a day=about 10 days. So I should figure in about $40/month now for cat food....that's a lot more than I was paying before! But it's worth it for the health of my kitties.

I took Mylo to the vet yesterday, and they found out she has a really bad bladder infection :( So now they've got her on an antibiotic regimen, and she should feel better soon. The vet said she couldn't put her leg down because it hurt her rear end since it was irritated from not being able to go to the bathroom. My poor little girl! So hopefully the antibiotics kick in soon!

Thanks for all of your guys' help! Mylo thanks you too! :)

Oh my gosh LOVE the picture - totally cool!

max&mylo
April 22nd, 2010, 10:53 AM
yeah I'd have to say that was pretty good timing! :)

hazelrunpack
April 22nd, 2010, 10:55 AM
I'm glad you brought her in and got that checked, M&M. :goodvibes: for the meds to work soon!

rjesak
April 22nd, 2010, 02:56 PM
I'm so glad you took her in. She should start feeling better soon! :thumbs up