Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

WARNING for pet owners about antifreeze poisoning

ForRiley
April 19th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to the board and posting to warn pet owners of the danger of antifreeze poisoning in their animals. Both of our german short haired pointers were poisoned last week with antifreeze. Our baby, Riley, died. Tucker, our three year old is hanging on in emergency clinic. THE ANTIFREEZE WAS IN THE BASE OF OUR PORTABLE BASKETBALL HOOP IN OUR DRIVEWAY. The previous owners of the the hoop had followed assembly directions and placed the antifreeze in the base to prevent the water in the base from freezing. Small holes manufactured into the top of the base allowed tiny drops of antifreeze to leak out. Because of the sweet taste of some antifreeze products, both of our pups drank it. PLEASE PLEASE CHECK YOUR PORTABLE BASKETBALL HOOPS OR ANYTHING THAT MIGHT CONTAIN ANTIFREEZE TO PREVENT FREEZING. We don't want anyone else to go through what our family has gone through. FORRILEY

Dog Dancer
April 19th, 2010, 03:36 PM
RIP sweet Riley. How devastating for you to have had to go through this. I do hope Tucker recovers fully. I have never heard of anybody putting anti freeze in a basketball hoop base. I always thought you put sand and such in those and umbrella bases. Good warning to watch for this.

hazelrunpack
April 19th, 2010, 05:45 PM
omd, ForRiley, that's awful :cry:

I'm so sorry for your loss! :grouphug:

I've heard of people using antifreeze that way, but it's such a deadly practice! It takes even less antifreeze to kill a cat--and how many might have visited before you discovered what the previous owners had done?

I know nothing can ease your grief over Riley right now, but I wish you heart's ease and peace of mind. :grouphug:

:candle: Riley

BrownEyedGirl
April 19th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Wow, I'm so sorry for your loss.

MyBirdIsEvil
April 19th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that :(

Who would've thought to check something like that? I've never had a basketball net at my house, but if I did I don't think I would have assumed anything like that.

At least you can help other owners prevent such a thing from happening.