Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

*sigh* I have a new puppy.

MyBirdIsEvil
April 18th, 2010, 11:26 PM
It wasn't intentional. One of the little half malamute puppies my sis in law had (I mentioned them in the thread about Walnut and Roscoe).

My bro in law threatened to take them to the pound or something or other (dunno everything, I wasn't there :shrug:), so my mother in law took them to her house. She asked me if I'd take one and I told her I would if she'd pay to take her to the vet and have her tested and vaccinated and everything this week. She said she would, so yeah, the puppy is sleeping under my feet.

She has roundworms (not a surprise since they were living outside), ticks and fleas. Luckily I have some advantix for her weight, so I'll get her bathed and treat her. I was informed they love water, so I'm gonna go get her a baby pool, and also a sandbox to hide toys for her to dig out.

Anyway, yeah....I know I was advised to wait to get another dog, but who actually thought that would happen? *sigh* I'm a sucker and can't let a puppy go to the pound when I have a possible opening for 2 dogs.

I have a pic, I'll upload it in a sec. I'm looking for my cord.

Tundra_Queen
April 18th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Awww what a sweet thing u did for that puppy! :grouphug: I know u were going to wait, but I'm sure the little pup is very glad u didn't. They were living out? The poor pups!!

What is her name, how old is she? I hope she will get along with your other dog ok cause I remember reading something about mals not all like other dogs?

I can hardly wait to see pics!

Debbie :D

MyBirdIsEvil
April 18th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Here. She's sleeping. Not very photogenic right now. She's 8 weeks old.

MyBirdIsEvil
April 18th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I hope she will get along with your other dog ok cause I remember reading something about mals not all like other dogs?

I'm sure they'll be fine. Not all mals are dog aggressive, and it's not necessarily to the dogs in their own pack. The puppies mom is fullblooded malamute and is not aggressive with Bheka. She was protective of the puppies for a few minutes, but once she realized Bheka wasn't a threat she was completely fine.

MyBirdIsEvil
April 18th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Oh, name, she doesn't have a name yet. They had named her but I'm not gonna stick with that because I don't like it. I'm sure something will come to me when the time is right.

Tundra_Queen
April 18th, 2010, 11:45 PM
She is so cute! And she sure looks relaxed in that pic! :laughing: Did she have her bath yet? The fur on her side sort of looks like she did,,,it has that just washed texture to it. :laughing: What does Bheka think of her new sister?

Debbie

Dee-O-Gee
April 18th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Aaah how sweet she is MBID. She looks like an Oreo (cookie that is). :D

Everything happens for a reason and I would say, she looks like the perfect match. :thumbs up

Can't wait to hear of her name and see more puppy pictures. :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
April 18th, 2010, 11:55 PM
She looks plenty photogenic to me, MBIE! :flirt: She's a doll!

MyBirdIsEvil
April 18th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Actually she hasn't had her bath yet. She fell asleep and I figured I'd let her rest. She'll look much better with a bath because she's actually pretty dirty.

Bheka pretty much ignores her. The puppy tried to get her to play and when Bheka tried to play back the puppy was absolutely terrified, yelped and rolled over on her back. So Bheka gave up trying to play with her for now.

Dee-O-Gee
April 19th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Docile is a good thing.

Sounds like Bheka gonna show her the ropes and help "little puppy girl" along with her manners. :D

MyBirdIsEvil
April 19th, 2010, 12:09 AM
I hope so :laughing:

Bheka is only 8 months old and hasn't even learned all her manners yet. If I hadn't raised 2 puppies at once before I would be hesitant, but it shouldn't be an issue. Bheka is actually doing pretty good and is very manageable for an 83 lb puppy. I took her for a walk the other day with just her collar (I usually use a halter) and the only time she pulled a bit is when these little dogs tried to come up to her (unfortunately a lot of people around here just let their little dogs roam around....good thing Bheka isn't aggressive :rolleyes:).

growler~GateKeeper
April 19th, 2010, 12:10 AM
She's gorgeous :lovestruck: Looks like it was the right time ;) What about the other pup is your MIL taking it?

Did she have her bath yet? The fur on her side sort of looks like she did,,,it has that just washed texture to it. :laughing:

:D That's the density of the double coated fur with lighter colour underneath, plus she looks like she'll have a bit of colour variation in her guard hairs along her sides

MyBirdIsEvil
April 19th, 2010, 12:19 AM
I'm not sure if my MIL is gonna keep the other one or not. She's thinking about it. The big problem is she just got a 6 month old dog and that one alone is almost too much for her to handle. It's an extremely spastic border collie/whippet or greyhound mix. I did agree to take it during the day and work on training though, so that should help.

MyBirdIsEvil
April 19th, 2010, 12:27 AM
The puppy just woke up and went to the door to go out and use the bathroom. I guess that's a good start. :)

hazelrunpack
April 19th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Good girl!! :highfive: Beautiful and smart! :dog:

MyBirdIsEvil
April 19th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Here's a couple more from during the short time she woke up to go outside and play for a second.

You can see why she's hesitant to play with Bheka. They're not exactly compatible in size :laughing:.

hazelrunpack
April 19th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Dang she's cute!!!

That size difference is going to disappear fast! :D

growler~GateKeeper
April 19th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Love the white tip on her tail :cloud9: Man she's got an adorable face :lovestruck:

Perhaps her littermate would be the purrfect permanent playmate for her ;) :whistle:

hazelrunpack
April 19th, 2010, 12:56 AM
:eek: Three puppies at once! http://foolstown.com/sm/obm.gif

Now that would be an adventure! :laughing:

Oh. wait... We got puppy Ember when Cass was 10 months old and puppy Cole another 10 weeks after that :o And we survived! :highfive:

we won't mention that my three alternate personalities surfaced some time in that first year... :laughing:

MyBirdIsEvil
April 19th, 2010, 12:56 AM
The only problem I have with taking her littermate is then I have 3 puppies on my hands, and not sure if that's a good idea. I don't have a problem with 3 dogs obviously, but 2 young puppies and 1 older puppy I dunno about. Not to mention I'd be paying to spay 2 dogs at once and then Bheka (she has to wait longer because of issues with her breed). Food bills would also be outrageous (Bheka already is a huge eater :rolleyes:). Also in light of what happened with Wally and Roscoe I NEED to be able to put more emergency money back. I wouldn't even be taking the one puppy if my MIL hadn't offered to pay for her checkup and shots.
Honestly I'd like to take her littermate, but it'd be straining us too much for sure. Hopefully my MIL keeps the other one, then they can just have playdates.

hazelrunpack
April 19th, 2010, 01:02 AM
It was a trip, that's for sure. Not a venture for the faint-hearted.

Vet and food bills became our limiting factor, too. We'd planned for 7 and 8 is straining the budget a bit, but not extremely much. Best to know your limit, though, before overstepping it.

MyBirdIsEvil
April 19th, 2010, 01:08 AM
It'd be all good until there was an emergency (which I'm sure there will be eventually), then we'd be scrambling to find money for it. Not a good situation. And after this month I'm certain bad things happen all at once (in April at least, that's always a horrible month for us :mad:), so yeah I'm really wanting to build a good financial cushion up.

Shaykeija
April 19th, 2010, 01:13 AM
How about Tipper for a name? (White tip on the tail)

growler~GateKeeper
April 19th, 2010, 01:15 AM
I hear you on the emergency fund bit, 1 cat & a weekend in ER - thank dawg for mastercard is all I can say - and I'm still paying it off a year later.

:fingerscr MIL can keep the other pup

MyBirdIsEvil
April 19th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I don't think my husband would go for Tipper. He hates Al Gore's wife and it would remind him of her :laughing:.

Tundra_Queen
April 19th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Oooooooo love the close up of her sweet face!!

MyBirdIsEvil
April 19th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Bheka is happy to have a companion. Her and the puppy played a bit this morning. Bheka is learning to be more gentle with the baby. Right now they're laying on a blanket chewing toys together.

chico2
April 19th, 2010, 08:55 AM
MBIE,Tipper,being Al Gores wife,that's funny:laughing:
The pup is adorable:cloud9:,aren't you worried letting Bheka and the pup outside,after what happened to your other 2:confused:but I suppose you don't have a choice,they have to go outside.

DoubleRR
April 19th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Sweet face--what is the father of the litter believed to be? I know just how hard it is after a sudden heart sinking loss to NOT take in another. She will help your heart heal. My Dharma both helped my heart and broke it 10 yrs later. She appeared to be born trained, and lived up to her name--I really believe names make a huge difference and help shape the recipient.

ancientgirl
April 19th, 2010, 09:16 AM
What a sweetie! She's just adorable!

Dog Dancer
April 19th, 2010, 11:14 AM
MBIE, there is a reason for everything, including the fact that this little girl came your way now. Maybe even for why the others were taken from you. It's a very strange world we live in. She's definitely cute and I'm sure in no time you'll figure out her name and Bheka will learn to be a wonderful older sister. Yay for puppers...! I think we still need more pics though.

ownedbycats
April 19th, 2010, 12:50 PM
MBIE - your new puppy is adorable! Photogenic or not, you'll have to take lots of pictures because certain people, naming no names, around here will insist on regular picture updates:D

babymomma
April 19th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Ohh man she is adorable..

Something about her face reminds me of casey :flirt:

BrownEyedGirl
April 19th, 2010, 03:25 PM
She is a beauty

MyBirdIsEvil
April 19th, 2010, 03:28 PM
aren't you worried letting Bheka and the pup outside,after what happened to your other 2but I suppose you don't have a choice,they have to go outside.

Of course, but what can I do :shrug:.

I searched the yard and I don't let them out unsupervised.

Here is a pic of her littermate.

MyBirdIsEvil
April 19th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Sweet face--what is the father of the litter believed to be?

They know who the father is, but I can't remember what they said he looked like. I think he was just some kind of mutt.

chico2
April 19th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Ohhh ,I love the coloring on the littermate,beautiful:cloud9:hope he/she gets a good home:pray:

I think your little cutie looks like she has some GSD in her:dog:

MyBirdIsEvil
April 19th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I thought I saw some GSD too.