Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crystals in pee

edwina
April 18th, 2010, 07:25 PM
If a cat pees crystals what do they look like ? Is it caused by food ? Is there something specific to feed a cat to stop it ? Salem is peeing something every so often that to me looks like a crystally type substance. I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago, and i put in health alert litter, to see if he had blood, there was no blood in his urine, and the litter was in the box for about a week, nothing. He is not peeing outside of the box, not mewing, not cleaning himself excessively, and he is playful and eating and drinking water. It stopped. So i didnt think anything about it , now last night he did it again. But the thing is , i looked in the dirty litter bucket i have, it was changed since last time, and there is a crystally like substance in the bucket, how did it get there, he didnt have any for 2 weeks ?? Could it be something else ?
I bagged up some of it in a baggy and am taking it to the vet hopefully monday, to see what they say. Most of it is foamy like. Has anyone ever had this. I never had this before. He is fixed. Thanks.

sugarcatmom
April 18th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Salem is peeing something every so often that to me looks like a crystally type substance. I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago,

Where did you notice it? ie - while he was peeing? afterwards, in the litter?

If it was from pee that had been sitting around a while, crystals are actually quite normal. From this link: http://www.catinfo.org/#Common_Feline_Health_Problems_and_Their_Ties_to_D iet_

Important: I often see too much clinical significance placed on the identification of crystals in the urine without regard to how the urine sample was handled. It is very important to understand that crystals will often form once outside of the body within a very short (30-60 minutes) period of time. If the veterinarian does not examine the urine right away and either sends it to an outside laboratory or uses a free-catch sample that the owner brought from home, an erroneous diagnosis of crystals may be made. This is called a "false positive" report and results in unnecessary worry on the part of the owner and often leads to the cat being placed on an inappropriate, low quality diet.

I bagged up some of it in a baggy and am taking it to the vet hopefully monday, to see what they say.

Probably not very useful to bring in such an old sample that's mixed with contaminants. Would be a much better idea to take him in and have a cystocentisis done (needle in the bladder to get a "clean", fresh sample).

Can't remember, what does Salem eat?

edwina
April 18th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Well its sounding like what it says in the page you posted , that there forming after in the litter for a while, that box usually gets cleaned everyday, but sometimes i may clean it in the morning one day, and the night the next, since he has 2 , but dad cleans the other one and said he didnt see anything, but he is 80, i will have to check it myself. :) But the reason i think that there forming after words like in your post, is they were formed in the dirty litter bucket, and it wasnt from me scooping it up.
He eats friskies canned meat. Sorry i would feed better, but with all the cats i try to save, i cant afford it. But if i would have to feed him something else i would. Its more foamy stuff on top of his pee, and its kinda shiny. I havent seen them form right after he pees.
I think i will start adding even more water to his meat, even though it has quite a bit of moisture to it.

sugarcatmom
April 18th, 2010, 09:36 PM
He eats friskies canned meat. Sorry i would feed better, but with all the cats i try to save, i cant afford it.

Hey, as long as it's wet, I don't have a problem with it :thumbs up. Maybe now and then you can add some plain (raw or lightly cooked) fresh meat like chicken or turkey or beef, or some scrambled eggs, just to give the kitties some higher quality protein.

As for the foaminess of the urine soaked litter, I'd say that's likely just from the force of the stream.

kyoko
April 18th, 2010, 10:35 PM
My little sister has two cats and they are sisters. One had crystals in her urine, the other has never had the issue. The first sign that had my sister wondering...was the one cat (that had the crystals) was do her business in the box and literally "run out" of the box. She took her to the vet, they discovered crytals, switched her to a different "perscription" vet cat food and since, has never had the problem.

catlover2
April 19th, 2010, 11:57 AM
kyoko, the reason your sister's cat ran out of the box, was that she was likely feeling some pain or discomfort when she peed. Cats that do that should be monitored closely, and if there is a change in output of pee check out by a vet for crystals or a bladder infection.

edwina
April 19th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Hey, as long as it's wet, I don't have a problem with it :thumbs up. Maybe now and then you can add some plain (raw or lightly cooked) fresh meat like chicken or turkey or beef, or some scrambled eggs, just to give the kitties some higher quality protein.

He does get raw hamburger from time to time, but he dont like raw poultry for some reason. I havent tried him on egg yet, i will have to see if he likes it. :)

I have been monitoring him for weeks now since it started, he has no change in behavior either in the litter box, or out of it. So i will just keep an eye on him. :)

Thanks for the help. :)

Frenchy
April 19th, 2010, 08:18 PM
He does get raw hamburger from time to time,

Do you mean ground beef ? If so , I wouldn't give it raw.

Raw beef that is good and not too expensive is the one you buy to make stew. When it's on "special" , it's affordable. :)