Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet Food Store Franchise Owner

pvcarter
September 2nd, 2004, 11:23 PM
I like to keep up to date with current pet related issues. If anyone has any questions regarding brand foods and ingredients, I may be able to help. I keep an honest opinion and open mind. Too many times I have seen/heard consumers/vets and breeders wrongful suggestions on certain labels. Again its just my opinion and they don't reflect that of anyone but my self. I look forward to hearing from you.

shan
September 3rd, 2004, 09:12 AM
Hi pvcarter,

I own a 7 month old shih tzu/bichon puppy. Curently, she is on Eukanuba Lamb & Rice Puppy formula. After reading, and asking for opinions on this board, I am planning on switching her off Eukanuba Puppy, to another brand adult formula, after she finishes this bag. I was planning on using the Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken. Is this a good choice? I need a brand that I can find at Petland, as that is the only petstore near us, there are no specialty pet food stores. If you know of a better brand, I am very much up for suggestions!

Luba
September 3rd, 2004, 10:00 AM
If anyone has any questions regarding brand foods and ingredients, I may be able to help

Good to know you're around!!

And you don't sell pets right ;)

Shae
September 3rd, 2004, 12:57 PM
Shan.........Please read all the info on Iams food ...no, it isnt ok.
There are a few threads in here on Iams (Eukan.)

shan
September 3rd, 2004, 01:57 PM
Shae,

I have learned that Iams/Eukanuba is not a good brand, unfortunately, I had just bought a bag before learning this. As soon as Annie finishes the Eukanuba, I wil be switching her to another brand. I was just wondering the opinion on Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken, as that is what I am thinking of switching to. :D

Shae
September 3rd, 2004, 02:07 PM
*L* Sorry Shan....didnt even notice that. See how I flip when I hear about Iams? :o
There are actually a lot of good brand names. Whatever you choose, try to stick with a good holistic brand.....ummmm, I think Evolution is a good one is memory serves me correctly. Solid Gold, was marketed from the hospital I worked at and had good reviews. My dogs are on a vegetarian diet. a Some great vegie ones out there......the one they love is an avacado based diet along with suppliments. NO BY PRODUCT......YUCK
Good Luck

Donna Marie
September 3rd, 2004, 02:35 PM
Shan.........Please read all the info on Iams food ...no, it isnt ok.
There are a few threads in here on Iams (Eukan.)

Shae...you found what I was talking about!

chico2
September 3rd, 2004, 04:04 PM
Shan,yes Eagle Pack is good food for dogs and cats :D

Writing4Fun
September 3rd, 2004, 08:13 PM
Hi folks, forgive me if this is considered "hi-jacking" but I also have a question about dog food. I've been checking them all out on-line, and I really like the ingredients in Wellness. BUT Wellness doesn't make a large-breed puppy formula. What are your thoughts on that? Is it really all that important for large-breed puppies to get a different formula than small-breed puppies? :confused:

goldenblaze
September 3rd, 2004, 08:37 PM
Hi folks, forgive me if this is considered "hi-jacking" but I also have a question about dog food. I've been checking them all out on-line, and I really like the ingredients in Wellness. BUT Wellness doesn't make a large-breed puppy formula. What are your thoughts on that? Is it really all that important for large-breed puppies to get a different formula than small-breed puppies? :confused:

Yes there is really a different between the two. Large bred puppies need growth control and the large bred puppy help develop proper bones and joints. I feed Nutro Natural Choice Large bred (no by-products) My Vet think he shall stay on it till 11 months than Large bred adult. Lots to read on line I read alot before picking the best food I could for Blaze, my Vet thinks it is a great food and very much agrees with feeding large bred when dog is going to be over 50 pounds. Took yrs to get it made and now it's here so I believe there is a need for it.
:)

RuffNTumble
September 3rd, 2004, 09:18 PM
Hi there,

I am thinking of switching my neo mastiff to Canine Life. It's a muffin mix you add meat and veggies to and bake it in the oven! you keep them in the fridge and crumble them when you feed them to your dog. Since it's not kibble, it won't expand in your dog's stomach, causing bloat. Pvcarter, have you heard of, or carry this brand? I know they sell the muffins ready made, but I like to bake, and I'm looking for a good quality feed for her. She's currently on Medical Adolescent, since she's 19 months and will not be full grown until she's 3 (and she's about 20 pounds underweight, poor baby :( )

Thanks!

Ruffy