Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

RIP Maddie- Timmy's mom

kathryn
April 16th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Sadly, my feisty torti cat, Timmy's mother, had to be put to sleep last night.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=66749

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs489.ash1/26754_1258193818446_1337640098_552518_6807970_n.jp g

She was the one who had 'asthma' among other issues. Well, between being overweight, not being able to breath properly, and being covered in strange lumps, she finally became so sick within the past couple days that I decided yesterday to just euthanize her.

Her problems probably COULD have been treated or managed, but her quality of life would have been poor, and her attitude didn't help things. She was just so unhappy all around. Within the past 3-4 days she had been acting terrible even towards my mother. She was withdrawn, wouldn't eat, wasn't using the litter box and was just terribly ill.

When we took her to have her put to sleep, we of course had to sedate her to do that.. we found she had a huge abscess on her right rear leg.. we hadn't been able to notice it prior because she was so withdrawn she was freaking out if you even touched her, so we had locked her in my moms room with a potty and food.. not that she made use of either.

Being that my other cats are absolutely NOT that mean that they would have bitten her to cause that, the only thing we could think of is that about 2 weeks ago we had to sedate her to examine her (her lumps had gotten bigger), the spot where the abscess was would have been the same spot where my friend gave her a shot of some mild sedation.

So clearly, being that it was a sterile needle and she didn't jump when she got the shot and didn't bleed out from that shot, there was something wrong with this cats immune system that a pinprick sized injection would have caused a massive infection that would overwhelm her entire body.

All this just leaves me thinking is.. 'why?'. Why Timmy? Why Timmy's brother? Why Maddie? Are we ever going to know what caused all this? My other cats are fine. It makes no sense. I just don't get it.

14+kitties
April 16th, 2010, 12:57 PM
:candle::rip: Maddie:candle::(

rainbow
April 16th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I am so sorry kathryn :( ....my condolences to you and your mom. :grouphug:

:rip:Maddie :candle:

chico2
April 16th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Kathryn,so very sorry,Maddie has joined her son Timmy at the bridge,free of pain and suffering.:candle:

kathryn
April 16th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I just feel bad because she really didn't 100% NEED to be euthanized, but i don't know how much longer she would have lived with her various problems anyways... we could have tried to treated her infection and abscess but I mean, how many times would she have had to have bitten us while we attempted to medicate her before we would have just had to given up anyway?

I think she may have had some sort of cancer or autoimmune problem.. there HAD to have been something to make this cat to go from doing fantastic both mentally and physically to this.

ugh.

growler~GateKeeper
April 16th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Maddie looks quite a bit like my grrl :lovestruck: I'm sorry she was sick :( :grouphug:

:rip: sweet :angel2: Maddie :candle: She is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle:

Dog Dancer
April 19th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Please don't second guess your best instincts. We can beat ourselves up endlessly over whether we did the right thing or not, but in your heart you know you did. We've all been through that same thought process, and in the end if it hadn't been right you would not have done it. You would have stopped yourself. She is with her boy now and not suffering from anything. You gave her the kindness of a gentle passing. Take comfort in that. RIP sweet kitty.

Love4himies
April 19th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I believe you did the right thing, she is now living in peace and comfort :candle:
:rip: Maddie you are now with your babies.
:grouphug: to you.

ancientgirl
April 19th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I'm sorry about Maddie. What a beautiful girl she was.

:rip:Maddie

Winston
April 19th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Awe Kathryn...:(

It does make you wonder about Maddie and Timmy?

Be at peace with your decision. You did it because you felt it was right.

Maddie is running free of pain at the bridge with all those that have gone before us! waiting for her day to be reunited with her human!

RIP sweet one! :rip::candle: