Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

All the kittens and their mom are now fixed!

MyBirdIsEvil
April 15th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I'm so relieved! The males had been fixed recently but we weren't sure if we could afford to have the females fixed at their appointment yesterday since we're low on money due to the ER vet bills. Well, somehow I juggled some other bills around to next paycheck and we barely had just enough. I was so worried one of the females was gonna get out and then at best I'd have to get a pregnant spay which costs more and is harder on them. Their mom had already climbed outside before by getting into the attic through the ceiling once (her room is unfinished and the sheetrock isn't on the ceiling yet, but she found something to climb on and get up there...really persistent I guess...I thought all the holes were away from anything to climb on but apparently not), so it was just a matter of time.

So now comes finding them homes, which may be difficult because there are already SO many cats looking for homes around here. We're keeping Squint (grey and white one) and one of her brothers, so at least they have homes already. One of my family members wants one of the females, so there's another one that has a home. But I still need to find homes for 3 males and one female. 2 of the males are very laid back so they won't be an issue, but one is very skittish around new people for some reason, so I hope I can find someone that understands that and is willing to give him a chance. He's great once he warms up to new people and very cuddly. At least they a have a home with me for now, but I know the longer they're here they will have a little more trouble acclimating when they go to a new home.

Anyway, I just wanted to say how relieved I am that none of them will produce anymore kitties. Maybe I should post my vet bills and it will deter people from letting their cats reproduce :laughing:. Spay/neuter is expensive around here and it was 446 dollars just for the 4 females, the shots, and an FIV and Feline Leukemia test for their mom (woulda tested them all but it didn't seem necessary since they've been nowhere but inside my house and a $46 test for all of them just wasn't in the budget at all right now). Mom was negative, so that was great news, and all their bloodwork was great.

catlover2
April 15th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Kudos to you! Thanks for getting them spayed/neutered, and good luck in finding them good homes. :fingerscr

14+kitties
April 15th, 2010, 10:15 PM
:highfive: WTG!!! $446 is not that bad really for four cats and shots and the other tests you had run. Most people would be happy paying $100 a shot to get their cats fixed. Well, the ones that care anyway.

Good luck finding homes for the sweeties. It's hard. There are so many "free to good home" ads around it's ridiculous! :frustrated: At least you don't have to worry about s/n contracts now. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
April 15th, 2010, 10:41 PM
:goodvibes: for good homes coming along soon! They should be easier to place now that they're all neutered, shouldn't it? :fingerscr

MyBirdIsEvil
April 15th, 2010, 11:14 PM
:goodvibes: for good homes coming along soon! They should be easier to place now that they're all neutered, shouldn't it? :fingerscr

You would think that, but a lot of people want little kittens, neutered or not, and these guys are 8 months old.

Our vet in town said she usually has people looking for spayed or neutered cats though, so hopefully someone will be interested.

I had someone ask today about one of my cats on the local message board, but I messaged her back with all the info about adoption contract, $25 fee, etc., so we'll see if she responds again.

Tundra_Queen
April 20th, 2010, 02:00 AM
That is great!!

When we got Willie fixed it was over 300 bucks just for him!

MyBirdIsEvil
April 20th, 2010, 06:48 AM
That is great!!

When we got Willie fixed it was over 300 bucks just for him!

Wow, that's unbelievably expensive. Males are usually cheaper. It's not exactly a difficult procedure.

Well, that person never did respond back about OBC :frustrated:. Guess either she got busy and didn't have time to respond or was looking for a free cat.