Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

BenMax,got it,thank you very much!

chico2
April 15th, 2010, 02:16 PM
You are a very,very generous person,Bailey and I really appreciate it:grouphug:
I gave her one treatment today and will give her one every day.
However since I see her only for about 1 hour and 1/2 I cannot give it to her twice/day.
She gave me no trouble and loved it when I rubbed her ears after.
You're the best,thank's:grouphug:
Vinnie loved the special Wellness package(that's all he needs:laughing:)but Bailey spit out the banana/pumpkin treats,however Fate(white Husky)loved them..:lovestruck:

aslan
April 15th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Benmax was concerned about if you got it and if you had any practice cleaning puppers ears..If you have any problem mf..let me know and i'll pop in tomorrow on my way home..

chico2
April 15th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Aslan,no I don't really have any experience,but I did ok just putting it in her ears,she did not mind.
Tomorrow I'll have to get some wipes and I'll clean her up.
Her ears are all gunky again,some white stuff,some brownish,but it's ok,does not bother me too much anymore.
Anyway,when you get off work,she's no longer here,but thank's for the offer:grouphug:
We usually get her around 1pm.
You can still pop in....

BenMax
April 15th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Glad you got it Chico2. I was worried. There should be an improvement within 1 week.

BTW - I have been finding those pumpkin cookies all over my house. It appears that it is not popular with my crew either. Glad the husky likes them!

Thanks Aslan for offering to assist.

Wuv you both.:grouphug:

chico2
April 15th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Yes,Bailey eats anything,but she spit out those cookies:laughing:
Fate very happily ate them all up,she says thank you:dog:B
BM,I think I have to tell the owner what I am doing,so she quits putting peroxide in Baileys ears,after all Bailey is her dog.
Thank's again!

Frenchy
April 15th, 2010, 04:36 PM

Of course she did , because they're healthy for her :laughing:

Benmax , are those cookies you made ?

BenMax
April 15th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Fate very happily ate them all up,she says thank you:dog:B
BM,I think I have to tell the owner what I am doing,so she quits putting peroxide in Baileys ears,after all Bailey is her dog.
Thank's again!

Oh yes. Please tell her. The peroxide will not do any good at this point. He needs the meds. The peroxide is stripping away the secretions but not helping the actual infection in the inner ear.

The cleaning product and the meds only at this point.:thumbs up

BenMax
April 15th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Of course she did , because they're healthy for her :laughing:

Benmax , are those cookies you made ?

Oh yes.. (not):p. Want some? They are yummy.:D

Frenchy
April 15th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Oh yes.. (not):p. Want some? They are yummy.:D

:laughing: no thanks :p

I thought maybe they were homemade , since you're such a good cook :thumbs up

aslan
April 15th, 2010, 05:41 PM
hey Chico2,,i will be getting off around 12:30 ish so i might drop in on the way by to give you a hand,,,now lets see if i remember,,chocolate and donuts right.:D

MyBirdIsEvil
April 15th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I think fruit or veggie based treats are kind of a toss up with dogs :shrug:

Bheka LOVES banana. I turned around one day to see a couple of peels on the floor and was like "What the heck?"
Apparently she had silently gotten on the counter and eaten 2 bananas, when I went to look for her she was up there trying to get a 3rd. I didn't even hear anything, she's stealthy for an 80 lb dog. :laughing:

One of my mother in law's dogs won't even TOUCH fruit or veggies. The other dogs are scarfing them up and he'll be standing there knowing there's food but if you offer it he looks at you like "WTF is this? That's not meat. Are you nuts?"

chico2
April 16th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Aslan,I was just kidding,please don't bring anything..
I have to go shopping this morning and I'll get some myself,just bring your own self:laughing:
I'd like a doggie-person to look at her ears,so I am not exagerrating(sp?)

BM,I'll go and talk to the owner when she gets off work and show her what you gave me,ok:grouphug:

14+kitties
April 16th, 2010, 07:16 AM
BenMax, you are a sweetie for helping out. :grouphug:
It's funny, I don't know a lot of dogs that actually like the taste of bananas. I'm sure now I will cause everyone will say their dogs do but none of mine ever did. It was about the only food Tasha :rip: spit out. :shrug:

Marty11
April 16th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I used to clean my golden's ears on a regular basis. I found the little baby cloths (you can buy anywhere) wrapped around my finger wipe really well after you put in the ear cleaner worked best for me. It's amazing how twice a week would keep his ear smelling better.

BenMax
April 16th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I used to clean my golden's ears on a regular basis. I found the little baby cloths (you can buy anywhere) wrapped around my finger wipe really well after you put in the ear cleaner worked best for me. It's amazing how twice a week would keep his ear smelling better.

Absolutely. I currently have a foster shih zsu that has horrible ear infections. I have been instructed not to use the cleaner for now as I am using liquid Baytril. Poor fellow has been suffering with this for years.

Like you however, I clean the flaps of the outer ear with wipes.

I hope that Bailey will benefit from the Otomax but if this condition persists he may have to see a vet for something more effective.

Thank DAWG for Chico2 for helping this little one.

Love4himies
April 16th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Awwww BenMax :lovestruck: and Chico :lovestruck: for helping out poor Bailey :angel: :angel:

hazelrunpack
April 16th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Bailey's owner was using peroxide in the ears, chico? I wonder if that's contributing to the irritation. That stuff can be pretty harsh!

I hope the new meds do the trick for the little sweetie!! :goodvibes: Good job, BM and chico!! :highfive:

BenMax
April 16th, 2010, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;908903]Bailey's owner was using peroxide in the ears, chico? I wonder if that's contributing to the irritation. That stuff can be pretty harsh!
QUOTE]

Exactly what I thought. It is stripping his ears of any normal and natural secretions and may very well be the cause or added cause to the infection.

aslan
April 16th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Chico2 as always lovely to see you and your hubby...I didn't think about it until after i left..if you could get a picture of the inside of bailey's ears and post it here i would really like Dr. Lee to see this...And no guys Chico isn't exagerating, i groomed for many many years and i seriously have never seen anything like this..poor old girls ears.

Frenchy
April 16th, 2010, 01:01 PM
And no guys Chico isn't exagerating, i groomed for many many years and i seriously have never seen anything like this..poor old girls ears.

I think this might be caused by the owner using peroxide ? If not the cause , I'm sure it makes it worse :(

thank dog Bailey has Chico2 ! And BM :thumbs up

aslan
April 16th, 2010, 01:03 PM
there is just a tiny little passage for me to get the drops in frenchy,,the rest i couldn't tell if it was swelling or warts or what..like i mean the inside of both ears..i cleaned as much as i could and then put her drops in...she was such a good girl.

Frenchy
April 16th, 2010, 01:08 PM
there is just a tiny little passage for me to get the drops in frenchy,,the rest i couldn't tell if it was swelling or warts or what..like i mean the inside of both ears..i cleaned as much as i could and then put her drops in...she was such a good girl.

:( poor little Bailey :( thanks for looking out for her aslan :thumbs up

aslan
April 16th, 2010, 01:11 PM

for Chico2 anything.:thumbs up except hugging me when i'm coming from work.

Frenchy
April 16th, 2010, 01:13 PM
for Chico2 anything.:thumbs up except hugging me when i'm coming from work.

:laughing:

14+kitties
April 16th, 2010, 01:13 PM

I second that! Thanks for caring aslan. :thumbs up Poor sweet Bailey. :(

BenMax
April 16th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I think we need a picture of those ears. This could be a more serious problem.

On a good note, the Otomax should do no harm, and if this is permenant damage then it will not make it better.

If the ear appears to be very thick, hard, and 'wavy' on the inside then this can be permenant damage.

Really, her owners need to get off their chair and take her to the vet. This is just terrible...:(. The discomfort and pain she must be in must be just terrible...

aslan
April 16th, 2010, 02:29 PM
i will say tho that the old girl isn't deaf,,she can hear a treat bag crinkle and responded to noises. Hopefully the cleaning and meds help her.

BenMax
April 16th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Chico2 and Aslan, if the ears appear swollen - don't use the cleaner...just the ear drops.

chico2
April 16th, 2010, 03:39 PM
BenMax,Aslan was an angel,cleaned out the guck and showed me what to do.
I am going over to the owner later when she gets home,I'll leave the stuff with her for over the weekend,since I don't see Bailey.
I'll take it back on Monday and treat her myself.
I will also take a pic on Monday.
I will suggest very carefully to the owner,the poor girl needs a vet,when I see her tonight.
Like I said to Aslan,I have a feeling they are just waiting,not spending any money on her,since they think she is soooo old at 10yrs:(
You should see her happily sprinting when we go for our walk,she's definetly not old.

Aslan,sure I'll give you a hug anytime:grouphug:

BenMax
April 16th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Stress that this dog is in very bad pain. Tell them it's like when we get ear infections but far worse.

chico2
April 16th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I will for sure,thank's BenMax:grouphug:

the gang
April 16th, 2010, 04:15 PM
you tell her chalsie is watching over her and sending good vibes, chalsie ears were bad too, but i used what ben max sent you,:fingerscr for a speedy recovery, please keep us updated , brenda and the pins:grouphug:

aslan
April 16th, 2010, 05:29 PM
chico2 if Dr. Lee can give us an idea of what we're dealing with if i have to i will get what we need to treat the poor girl myself. lol, i can't get the look of aaaaaaaaah out of my mind when i put the drops in..what a sweetie.

the gang
April 16th, 2010, 07:49 PM
aslan you are too sweet, are the ears bad??? im the one that sent the coat for baily, she reminds me of my wounderful chalsie, brenda and the pins

chico2
April 17th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I went over to the owners,wipes and meds in hand,she laughed:frustrated:maybe from embarrassment,maybe frustration for my meddling,I don't know.
I made sure to tell her,I did not pay for it and it was sent to me from a friend in Quebec,who works with a rescue and another friend showed me what to do.

I told her how to use the stuff,but I don't think she takes Baileys problem too seriously.
I'll take it back Monday and do it myself.
She said she had cleaned her ears every day:confused:
I also said Bailey could have a painful infection and needs to see a vet and that if this got looked after,she'll hear better.
She answered,they don't want her to hear:frustrated:I am hoping she was joking:dog:

Chris21711
April 17th, 2010, 04:48 PM
That is too sad Chico, I sure hope the owner was joking :(....Ear infections can be so painful.

Winston
April 17th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Chico and Aslan....I have heard of something with animals and humans called Cauliflower Ear...if you google it and look at the google images maybe this is what your describing. I didnt want to post an image cause its kinda nasty...let me know what you think.

Oh and I just found this link too!

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/aural-hematoma-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Cindy

aslan
April 17th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Nope that isn't what it looked like, but thanks. i've tried googling pictures of dogs ears with severe infections,,ears with yeast infections, no pictures..

chico2
April 18th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Here is another pic of the little girl,I'll try to get a pic of the inside of her ear tomorrow.
Don't know if my camera is good enough though.

chico2
April 19th, 2010, 04:29 PM
When I got Bailey today,I took the cleaning things back to my house,the owner had also left a bottle of Peroxide and no,I don't use it.
Baileys ears were again a little gunky,but she was sooo good,laid down on her back,hubby rubbing her belly while I administered to her ears.
It is not possible to get any of the antibiotics into her ear-canal,they just seem plugged,she loves her ears rubbed afterwards.
I wish my cats were as good as Bailey:cat:
I totally forgot to take a pic,but I will tomorrow.

14+kitties
April 19th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Chico, what you may be able to do if you can't get the drops in is to put them near the canal and then massage her ears gently. That may get enough of the drops down her ears to help her. :fingerscr

aslan
April 19th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Chico,,when you look in Bailey's ears you will see a tiny little space, what i did was just gently stretch her ear a tiny bit to open the space,,,but you can just put the tip of the antibiotics tube at the opening and put the drops in there,,she may not get all of the dosage but some is better than none.

chico2
April 20th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Thank's girls,I did exactly that and she loves having her ears rubbed,hopefully most of the meds will do the trick.
First I clean with the Baby-Wipes and she loves it,then the EPI-OTIC and ear-rubs,then the OTOMAX,more ear-rubs
The only mistake I did,was not enough of the antibiotic,I only put 2 drops,when I'm supposed to put 8 drops,will do it right today.
Hubby is having surgery today at the hospital on one of his long suffering toes,so I'll have to do it on my own,but she's so good..

aslan
April 20th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Chico i've pm'd Dr. Lee to keep an eye out for the pictures of poor Bailey's ears.:fingerscr it is something we can fix.

chico2
April 21st, 2010, 12:48 PM
I was not sure where to put the pics,but here is one of her ears,they actually look a bit better,I think.
I was not able to do it yesterday,pick up hubby from hosp.etc...we just had time for a short poop-break,so she had some gunk in her ears again,the pic is after I cleaned it.
Not even near as bad as it was first,so I think the meds help.
She is such a good girl:lovestruck:

14+kitties
April 21st, 2010, 01:03 PM
OMG! And they wonder why the poor girl can't hear. :( I would think that is abuse on it's own. Ouch!!! Poor sweetie. No wonder she likes her ears rubbed. :(

aslan
April 21st, 2010, 01:16 PM
chico the ears do actually look a little better than on Friday,,,keep up the good work.

chico2
April 21st, 2010, 01:17 PM
14+,they are actually a bit less swollen,she cries out a little when I put the EPI-OTIC in,but she has a little open sore,it probably stings a bit.
I managed to get the anti-biotic gel in her ear-canal.
I am sooooo grateful for Ben-Max help:dog:
Aslan thank's,I will do it for as long as it's needed..

Chris21711
April 21st, 2010, 02:12 PM
OMD they must be really sore :(...did her owners ever take her to see the Vet Chico?

chico2
April 21st, 2010, 02:58 PM
NO Chris,they did not,just wiped her ears with Peroxide:(
But the meds from BM seems to be working:fingerscr

Chris21711
April 21st, 2010, 03:06 PM
NO Chris,they did not,just wiped her ears with Peroxide:(

Hmmmm....if the spca saw those ears they would be issued orders to get Vetted.

But the meds from BM seems to be working:fingerscr

That's great to hear Chico....I know you really love and care for Little Bailey :)

hazelrunpack
April 21st, 2010, 03:45 PM
Some of that irritation might be from the peroxide. :frustrated: We also have trouble with Epi-Otic if we use it every day. So you might want to use the Epi-Otic just every other day, chico. Use the other meds as often as you can, though.

Man that looks painful! :eek: I'm so glad Bailey has you to take care of her :grouphug:

Frenchy
April 21st, 2010, 03:50 PM
Some of that irritation might be from the peroxide. :frustrated:

I'm thinking the same , Chico2 , if you can tell the owner to stop with the peroxide .... tell her she's making things worse !

oye , I've never seen such ear damages :(

hazelrunpack
April 21st, 2010, 03:56 PM
chico, is that white goop on the pics what's draining from her ear, or is that some of the otomax?

chico2
April 21st, 2010, 04:05 PM
Hazel,the white stuff is the OtoMax,what she had in her ears was yellow kind of grainy,very foul smelling:(
Aslan can attest to that,she saw it.
I told the owner not to use Peroxide anymore.
I take care of Baileys ears through the week,then I leave the stuff for them,to do it in the weekend(hopefully she does:fingerscr)

Frenchy
April 21st, 2010, 04:08 PM
Thank dog for you Chico2 :2huggers:

and again , thanks to Benmax :thumbs up

BenMax
April 21st, 2010, 04:08 PM
Holy..yes. I have seen it before. Do not use the cleanser for a while. Just the Otomax.

But to be very honest, I don't think that the Otomax is going to be effective. It may just sooth for awhile but it certainly is not strong enough.

Chico2 - this dog really needs to see a vet. This is so far gone that only vet intervention is going to provide relief. Her ears may never be the same.

This is absolutely horrible and very painful.

What is wrong with her people?:(

Get Dr. Lee to help with suggestions at this point.

Frenchy
April 21st, 2010, 04:12 PM
One of my Ontario contacts adopted a golden 2 years ago , ear canals were shut down because of this ... the surgery was VERY expensive :(

BenMax
April 21st, 2010, 04:14 PM
One of my Ontario contacts adopted a golden 2 years ago , ear canals were shut down because of this ... the surgery was VERY expensive :(

Indeed. But this may not be the same thing. The important thing here is that the Otomax will not do any harm, but it is not strong enough to help her at this point. Maybe Dr. Lee will suggest Baytril? Not sure, but maybe he can shed light on this and provide professional guidance.

This is really really bad.

Frenchy
April 21st, 2010, 04:17 PM
This is really really bad.

that's why I was thinking surgery :(

BenMax
April 21st, 2010, 04:23 PM
that's why I was thinking surgery :(

Not necessarily. The golden you are referring to had a problem with the eardrum (if you are referring to the one from the no kill shelter - Brandy). He also had an ear infection but it certainly was not like this.

This here is tissue swelling. If I recall, the dog I had was on antibotics and also Baytril liquid for the ears. This is a long time neglect situation. This did not happen over night.

Poor dog. Poor Chico2 having to deal with very ignorant people.

Frenchy
April 21st, 2010, 04:25 PM
Not necessarily. The golden you are referring to had a problem with the eardrum (if you are referring to the one from the no kill shelter - Brandy). He also had an ear infection but it certainly was not like this.

Oh right , I think we're talking about the same dog !

So with meds , the ears could go back to normal ? :goodvibes:

BenMax
April 21st, 2010, 04:27 PM
Oh right , I think we're talking about the same dog !

So with meds , the ears could go back to normal ? :goodvibes:

No. The ears may remain being wrinkly like this but without pain and swelling.

chico2
April 21st, 2010, 06:48 PM
BenMax,her ears were much worse last week,it seems something is working,but I can only do it once/day.
I have already told her Bailey needs to see her vet and I could take her,if she's too busy.
But instead she put peroxide in her ears:(
I have to tread carefully,or she might just say"my dog is my business"and ask for the key back..and then Bailey will suffer,she loves our walks and the treats and cuddles.
I have known Bailey since she was a pup 10yrs ago and yes,I love her,she's a sweet little dog.
I think they would rather have her put down than spend a lot of money on her,but I could be wrong:confused:
I could take her to my vet,but there is no way hubby will agree to pay for her,Vinnie and Rocky has just cost us a bundle and there will be more for Rocky:frustrated:
Is Baytril something I could get from my vet??

aslan
April 22nd, 2010, 04:54 AM
chico,,,what would your vet charge to take a look at Bailey's ears?

BenMax
April 22nd, 2010, 08:41 AM
We need Dr. Lee here. He may be able to help out on what can be done.

onster
April 22nd, 2010, 11:05 AM
oh my that looks so painful! aybe we can all pitch in for a vet check for her?

BenMax
April 22nd, 2010, 11:16 AM

I was thinking the same thing...

onster
April 22nd, 2010, 11:23 AM
yeah, chico would u be comfortable taking bailey to the vet behind the owner's back so to speak?

I had my first ear infection 2 summers ago, oh my God the pain, I cried! so I really really feel for poor Bailey.

BenMax
April 22nd, 2010, 11:50 AM
yeah, chico would u be comfortable taking bailey to the vet behind the owner's back so to speak?

I had my first ear infection 2 summers ago, oh my God the pain, I cried! so I really really feel for poor Bailey.

I don't think you can do it behind their back. They may tell her off as this dog needs intervention which will result in meds and follow up visits. Chico2 is caught between a rock and a hard place. Not an easy situation to be in.

onster
April 22nd, 2010, 12:01 PM
For sure it's hard, especially since chico is such a sweetie she can't turn a blind eye (as others may).

The only thing is if chico says she will take to the vet and pay they may say she is interfering too much and refuse as chico fears.:( *sigh*

aslan
April 22nd, 2010, 12:28 PM

i've already pm'd Dr. Lee so just waiting for him to log on,,,and i already tried to pay for the vet and got an absolute NO...wondering tho if one of us could get our vet to give us Baytril without seeing the pupper.

onster
April 22nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
can you order than online??

Hmm maybe we can post in the free stuff is good stuff maybe someone has some baytril left over from maybe switching meds etc with their pets. Ive had antibiotics left over from bunduk switching them etc.

I can try my vet if its confirmed she needs baytril.

aslan
April 22nd, 2010, 12:59 PM
i just checked vetdirect and they don't carry it. I'd wait until Dr. Lee atleast see's the pictures..believe it or not they do look better than last week..

BenMax
April 22nd, 2010, 01:03 PM
Baytril is not enough, the dog may require oral antibotics as well.

BenMax
April 22nd, 2010, 01:04 PM
i just checked vetdirect and they don't carry it. I'd wait until Dr. Lee atleast see's the pictures..believe it or not they do look better than last week..

Really? I cannot imagine then how bad it was because what is seen now is horrible.

aslan
April 22nd, 2010, 01:06 PM
you can see the opening in the picures to the ear canal abit,,,when i was there, i just got the tiny tiny tip of the otomax dropper into her ear..they don't look as puffy and raw as they did either. i'm almost thinking oral antibiotics might be better for her at this point and easier for Chico to get them to her.

BenMax
April 22nd, 2010, 01:54 PM
I don't know what to do at this point. The ears should not be cleaned with any solution I don't think, as this can also cause problems. Peroxide however for sure is not the way to go. I wonder why they were using this to treat.

What bothers me the most is that this condition has been progressing with time. Had they taken the dog earlier, this would not have escalated.

For sure this is very painful. I cannot imagine how miserable this dog may feel just dealing with the discomfort as if this were normal. Very disturbing.

chico2
April 22nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
Girls,you are all really great,I talked to my own vet as he was calling about Rocky,but right now I am in tears,so I will tell you later,ok:dog:

BenMax
April 22nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
Girls,you are all really great,I talked to my own vet as he was calling about Rocky,but right now I am in tears,so I will tell you later,ok:dog:

Ahh geez Chico2. Ok take your time. Really Rocky is more important at this point. I am sorry to keep going on about this.:grouphug:

chico2
April 22nd, 2010, 04:08 PM
BenMax,my own sweetheart of a vet(handsome too)talked to me for a long time about Bailey.
Totally understands my frustration about negligent owners,I guess he's seen a few.
He did not like that I was medicating her,but I guess no doctor would.
Her ear-problem could be soo many different things,but I can clearly see an improvement after the meds.
He said she might need anti-fungal meds or oral antibiotics
She did have more gunk in her ears today though and I cleaned it off.
He also said if kept untreated too long bone can form in her ear,I actually see part of her ear looking whiteish:frustrated:
Just giving her the meds once/daily is not enough,so he said to talk seriously to the owner(which I have done and will try again)or call OHS about neglect of Bailey,which I cannot do,Bailey will be the loser..
He also said bringing Bailey to him,is not a good idea,she is not my dog and she already has a vet,I could get in trouble.
I'll go and talk to her again on Saturday,hopefully she'll take me seriously this time:fingerscr

BenMax
April 23rd, 2010, 08:00 AM
You are in a very bad spot Chico2. I wish that there was an easy way to do this. I totally understand your vet not liking you to take charge in this case. Since the owners are neglecting her, you are doing whatever possible.

He is right however, this dog needs vet intervention and not something to relieve the condition but to cure the condition.

This is terrible.:(

chico2
April 23rd, 2010, 04:21 PM
BenMax.I am happy to tell you,the swelling in her ears is almost all gone,still some guck I cleaned out,but it looks much better,
I did put the drops of OtoMax in her ears today too,because obviously it is helping.
I'll talk to the owners tomorrow,just kind of mention what my vet said.
Yes,it's a hard situation to be in,I can only hope she cares enough about Bailey to take her to the vet.
Thank you for your help:grouphug:

aslan
April 23rd, 2010, 05:05 PM
chico,,Dr. Lee wasn't sure where he was supposed to look so i have re-pm'd him directing him to the pictures. I'd like to take a look at her ears again myself. I'm soooo glad to hear that the antibiotics seem to be helping...yay benmax...:thumbs up

Dr Lee
April 23rd, 2010, 05:56 PM
To begin with I want to acknowledge that I have not read through this thread completely but was asked to look at the pictures and give my opinion. So here it is:

The picture of the ear supports exuberent fibrosis (scar tissue) secondary to chronic inflammation and infection. The botryoid (grape like) appearance of the tissue is typical. Unfortunately many dogs of this breed have a tendency towards this. In many of these cases, if the fibrosis is as severe on the inside as it is on the outside, then some patients may benefit from surgery. Depending upon the severity of the fibrosis and the health of the inner ear than either a lateral transection or an ablation will be recommended. This should be further explained by your veterinarian.

I hope that this helps. If I can be of further assistance, please PM me. :pawprint:

aslan
April 23rd, 2010, 06:05 PM
Dr. Lee Chico2 has been cleaning Bailey's ears daily and putting Otomax in..she says that the swelling has gone down considerably..should she keep giving the antibiotics while trying to get bailey treated at a vets.

BenMax
April 24th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I have seen this condition before and meds are not going to bring down this type of damage...as it is damage now. I highly doubt the owners will put a red cent into surgery so the only alternative if that is the case is pain relief and anything to continue to control the swelling.

Chico2 - you are an angel for helping this poor soul. This dog may not mean a thing to them, but you mean EVERYTHING to this dog...and Bailey is aware of this fact.

LUV you Chico2 - Bless your heart.:grouphug:

chico2
April 25th, 2010, 09:27 AM
BenMax,I will PM you the reply I recieved from Dr Lee,ok.
Thank you for your kind words:grouphug:

BenMax
April 26th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the info Chico2. That is what we suspected. Please keep me updated.:grouphug:

chico2
April 27th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Well,well,I had a long talk to the owner last night(could not get a hold of her before)I had to really tread carefully.
I told her what both my vet and Dr Lee had said.
That Bailey is not going deaf from old age(like she thought:frustrated:)but from a probable painful chronic ear-infection and HAS to see a vet.
She promised she would take her Saturday:pray:so we will see:pray:

Yesterday as I cleaned Baileys ears,she seemed to like it and the swelling is still down,but her ears are far from ok.

mummummum
April 27th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Chico, there's a drug called Avotermin. I think it's in Stage 3 of clinical trials but, I'm wondering if there is something similar for dogs already on the market. Or if Avotermin has been released for Vet use. It might be an alternative to surgical removal of the scarring I imagine. Dr. Lee or your Vet would know.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)60322-6/abstract

chico2
April 27th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Thank you 3Xmum,I think it's out of my hands for now,we'll see what her vet decides to do on Saturday:pray:
In the meantime I'll be cleaning her ears until then.

mummummum
April 27th, 2010, 10:59 AM
YOU, Chico, are an angel. :grouphug:

chico2
April 27th, 2010, 03:37 PM
No,no,Chris,far from it:laughing:

Frenchy
April 27th, 2010, 03:49 PM
She promised she would take her Saturday:pray:so we will see:pray:

good job Chico2 ! :highfive:

hazelrunpack
April 27th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I hope she follows through! :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
April 27th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Me too,I'll know if she did or not;)

BenMax
April 28th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Chico2 - you have done your best. Now it's up to the owners to do right by this dog.

Whatever happens Chico2 - you have gone above and beyond for this dog. You are a Saint!:angel:

chico2
April 28th, 2010, 03:48 PM
BenMax,she's not been to the vet yet,I'll wait and see.:pray:
Bailey was a little angel today,the swelling is all down,but I still do not like the looks of her ears,she lets me clean her ears with no problem:dog:
We bought her a 15 foot leash a few years ago and she loves to run around exploring,sniffing all the Pee-Mails:laughing:
Please do not call me a saint,the angels are the ones like you and many other members who give their all to rescue dogs/cats in bad situations

aslan
April 28th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I totally disagree with you Chico,,and angel is someone who helps anyone or anything in need without any thought for themselves, just the well being of the focus of that attention. You may not rescue hundreds of animals in distress, but you do soothe the hearts of your friends when they are hurting,,you do look after animals around you just because you care...so you are an angel too...

BenMax
April 28th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I totally disagree with you Chico,,and angel is someone who helps anyone or anything in need without any thought for themselves, just the well being of the focus of that attention. You may not rescue hundreds of animals in distress, but you do soothe the hearts of your friends when they are hurting,,you do look after animals around you just because you care...so you are an angel too...

Well said Aslan and sooo true.:thumbs up

the gang
April 28th, 2010, 08:11 PM
omgod chico you are the best!!!! i see the threads and close my mouth, im so sorry things are not going bailys way:cry: i so wish i could help!!! brenda and the pins

poodletalk
May 6th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Any updates about Bailey?