Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is your pet in your will?

doggy lover
April 14th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Just wondering if anyone has placed their pets in their wills.. I had a clause put into mine that is a request that my children must take care of any pets that I own upon my death. They are not allowed to give them away or put them up for adoption or into a shelter. My lawyer said that I could only request that they do it, too bad as I would have made it mandatory or no money for you. :evil:LOL Just wondering?

dmc123
April 14th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Yes, kind of, but we have instructions for all of our pet kids written in with our wills. It is more an attachment, so the families will know what we really want. Ours is not "legally" binding but will help if something happens to both of us at one time.

In addition, we have discussed our wishes with several members of the family.

Diane

Melinda
April 14th, 2010, 07:21 PM
yes, all our pets are in our wills and guardians are appointed, money set aside

Winston
April 14th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Good discussion to bring up and a very important one.!

I have made my wishes known and it has been agreed upon. Havent really thought about making it legal but a good thought!

the gang
April 14th, 2010, 07:52 PM
yes for sure we have put them in the will with money put away for them--- small family i have, but i know they will be well taken care of :thumbs up brenda and the pins

Sib.HuskyMom
April 14th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Yep, they're in there.
We didn't name them specifically, just "any and all pets owned at the time" or something like that (I can't remember the exact wording).
And like the others said, there is money set aside to go with them.

DH and I actually had our good friends over for an evening and asked if they would be willing to be our dog's guardians, should the unspeakable happen. They are great people and wonderful dog lovers, and even more importantly, I know that if one of my dogs were to become ill, I would trust our friends to make the same desicions I would in terms of their treatment and care.
They have also written us in their will to be guardians of their golden retriever, for the very same reasons.

Goldfields
April 14th, 2010, 11:03 PM
It's in writing for my sister to take my dogs and cats and all she needs for their care but it will be made official when we write new wills. I'm more concerned about finding someone who loves birds enough to give our cockatoo a permanent home. She is 35 years old and these cockatoos can live to 100.

3iggys
April 14th, 2010, 11:31 PM
This is a VERY IMPORTANT subject for me. I have been stressing who will look after my crew if something should happen to me. I have Italian Greyhounds and there is no one in my family, my husband or 3 children, that I want my dogs left in their care. My husband just puts up with the 3 dogs and my children just tolerate them. I LOVE THEM as much as my 2 legged children and want the best. I have appointed an 2 executors for the dogs, a person who will take them into rescue, will arrange for foster homes or re home them asap and one to make sure everything has been carried out as I wanted. This person will be provided with funds to help with the rescue. I have been told about a person that was appointed "guardian" of a pet with a trust to help pay for the upkeep of the animal (not sure if it was a dog or cat) and that person immediately had the dog/cat put down and kept the trust fund. In these economic times do you really think your pets will be looked after like you want? There are also so many that end up in cold shelters, the family not wanting them, and the dogs have emotional breakdowns that make them unadoptable. For the love of the dogs, make sure whoever you have left the dogs to want the dogs and will love them.

Shaykeija
April 14th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Upon the death of both of us, everything we have will be sold and it all goes to the care of any companion animal. A trustee has been appointed and at the end of their natural lives, all left over monies will be dispersed to named animal charities. As for my family, I left them 50c cents, they can call 1-800-eat-poop. They are the most greedy uncaring people.