Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rocky not doing too great..

chico2
April 14th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I have a vet-appointment tomorrow at 11:30..
You know how we know our cats and feel something is not right,although with Rocky it's more than a feeling.
He's lost most of the weight he's gained,but his tummy is a little too round to be normal:(
He has been hacking up clear foamy liquid early mornings for a couple of days,I thought to be hair,but no.
He's outside right now with hubby and the other two,seems normal,but after a while checking out everything he lays down on his favorite patio-chair.
Last night he would not eat,but I fed them the Beef/Chicken Wellness,a formula they did not like before,Chico and Vinnie ate theirs.
This morning he ate all his food,drank a lot of water(which he usually does).
We use no pesticide outside,not even fertilizer or any other kind of poison.
I absolutely dread taking Rocky to the vet,he gets so very stressed but it has to be done,he also need a blood-test for his Hyper-T.
I worry about my boy:(

catlover2
April 14th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Sorry to hear about Rocky. Yes it's true most of us are so attuned to our pets that we know when something is amiss, tho I occasionally read in some threads where the pet really has to made a big fuss to get attention when it knows its sick and needs help.

Just read this morning in Winter edition of "Laurier Campus" an article "Insight in the Human-Animal Bond" that "cancer claims up to 1 in 4 dogs and 1 in 8 cats which is why the Ontario Veterinary College is opening Canada's first animal cancer centre in 2012." It's something we'll all have to keep in the back of our minds when our pets get sick.

Certainly hope it's nothing serious with Rockey. :pray: :fingerscr

mummummum
April 14th, 2010, 10:20 AM
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Chico ~ you know your boy best but DO NOT let your mind do it's worst kiddo. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Frenchy
April 14th, 2010, 10:24 AM
So sorry Chico2 , maybe it's just a stomach upset ? :fingerscr maybe he hate old grass outside or something ...

hazelrunpack
April 14th, 2010, 11:04 AM
:goodvibes: for the vet visit tomorrow, chico! I know how easy it is to worry, but it never hurts to hope for the best! :fingerscr the vet gives you good news tomorrow!

:grouphug:

Melinda
April 14th, 2010, 11:05 AM
best of luck at the vets, hope its just tummy trouble!

14+kitties
April 14th, 2010, 11:27 AM
:grouphug: I know you will worry yourself sick until you get Rocky in to see the vet. :( I'm hoping maybe he just ate a bug or something that he didn't like. Or maybe his meds need to be adjusted. Please don't think the worse. We all tend to do that and then our pets pick up on our stress.
:fingerscr:goodvibes::pray: for Rocky's appt tomorrow. Giant :grouphug: for you!!

krdahmer
April 14th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Oh Chico....I'd say don't worry, but well, we all know that won't happen. :grouphug::o Hopefully his #s will be fine tomorrow and it's just a little tummy bug or something! :goodvibes::pray:

TeriM
April 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Good luck for Rocky at his vet visit :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:. Hopefully he might just need his thyroid meds adjusted :fingerscr.

rjesak
April 14th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I so know about worry! I'm always worrying about my various kitties. Best of luck at the vet!!! :grouphug:

mummummum
April 14th, 2010, 04:15 PM
See that? You got four or five folks doing the worrying. Take the night and love up The Cat ~ we got your back on the worrying thing. :grouphug::goodvibes:

BenMax
April 14th, 2010, 04:17 PM
My thoughts and good :goodvibes: coming your way Chico2.:grouphug:

chico2
April 14th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Thank you everyone,I know you all know how it feels:grouphug:
I noticed there is no more smelly runny poop in the boxes,Rocky had it for quiet some time:(
I got them off the"eat any time ,dry food"and they eat exclusively Wellness canned,maybe Rocky is constipated,hence his rounded little belly...
Oh well,I'll just have to wait and see what the vet thinks.
Rocky just turned 14yrs old in March and I completely forgot...me bad:cat:

mummummum
April 14th, 2010, 04:38 PM
"me bad"

Chico STOP IT. I missed my own b-day. I figure it happens when life is right. Right? Obviously life was on spot then or you would have noticed the day. Dunno about you, but I'll take days that life is so easy you don't notice it, wouldn't you? So would The Boy kiddo.

chico2
April 14th, 2010, 04:49 PM
3Xmum:laughing:I'll gladly forget my own B-Day,heck I even forget my age at times,have to ask hubby:laughing:
Rocky did not mind,every day is a celebration for him,especially now with the sun shining and +24C.

happycats
April 14th, 2010, 08:59 PM
:pray::goodvibes::fingerscr That all is well with Rocky.

Smiley14
April 14th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Oh, Chico, I'm so sorry! I hope everything is okay! :grouphug:

Dee-O-Gee
April 14th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Rocky did not mind,every day is a celebration for him,especially now with the sun shining and +24C.

And the sun will be shining tomorrow too Chico2! :grouphug:

babymomma
April 14th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Good luck tomorrow Chico!

Hopefully it's nothing serious.

growler~GateKeeper
April 15th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Try not to worry Chico, remember the more stressed you are will make Rocky more stressed too. :grouphug:

:goodvibes: for tomorrow

chico2
April 15th, 2010, 08:10 AM
The most stressful is forcing him in to the carrier,I wish there was another way,but there isn't.
This morning he ate all his food:thumbs up

I don't know if anyone else has this problem,but it takes my guys at least an hour to finish,they eat a little,then leave and come back for more and so on..

I have to watch so Vinnie does not eat all three dishes.

I am going to clean the carrier I use,maybe I can wash out the smell of fear:cat:
All of them scatter when we bring it up,then checking to see who's turn it is:frustrated:

mummummum
April 15th, 2010, 08:12 AM
3Xmum:laughing:I'll gladly forget my own B-Day,heck I even forget my age at times,have to ask hubby:laughing:

Tell me about it! Years ago, my mother whacked me on the arm and told me to stop telling people my age because I was always wrong and made her out to be older than she was AND people who knew my parents when they were married would think I was :eek: born out of wedlock :eek:

:laughing::laughing:

mummummum
April 15th, 2010, 08:13 AM
All of them scatter when we bring it up,then checking to see who's turn it is:frustrated:

One could NEVER accuse a cat of being stoopid. :D

ancientgirl
April 15th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Chico, I'm sorry Rocky is feeling under the weather. Maybe it is just some constipation. You know switching their food and their schedule sometimes gets them out of whack. I know it's hard not to worry, they are your babies. Sending you good vibes and prayers.:pray::goodvibes:

Love4himies
April 15th, 2010, 09:28 AM
The most stressful is forcing him in to the carrier,I wish there was another way,but there isn't.
This morning he ate all his food:thumbs up

I don't know if anyone else has this problem,but it takes my guys at least an hour to finish,they eat a little,then leave and come back for more and so on..

I have to watch so Vinnie does not eat all three dishes.

I am going to clean the carrier I use,maybe I can wash out the smell of fear:cat:
Sending Rocky lots of :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: for his vet visit.

And of course a :grouphug: for you.

I have the same problem as you do at feeding time. Sweet Pea will eat everything in sight and is very overweight. Poor, sweet Jasper won't eat until all the girls are finished :( . He lies watching them eat, his tummy grumbling, but won't make a move until they have finished, but when he goes to eat, Sweet Pea has devoured it all :yell::yell:. So then he gets his special meal by himself :cloud9: Rose will only eat if another cat is eating. Puddles won't eat if there is another cat in sight :frustrated: and is a tiny muncher. Sweet Pea hisses at anybody coming near her to eat :evil: (poor Rose, because she tries to eat from her bowl when SP is eating)

chico2
April 15th, 2010, 10:40 AM
:laughing:L4H,sunds like my house,but I only have 3 to watch..

Vinnie and Chico right now are hiding,I brought up the "torture-chamber",Rocky is outside sleeping on his chair on the deck,hubby is with him,45,minutes to go..

Frenchy
April 15th, 2010, 10:43 AM

Vinnie and Chico right now are hiding,I brought up the "torture-chamber",

:laughing: omg good luck Chico2 , I remember with my other cats .... it was quite the adventure to get them in there. :eek:

hazelrunpack
April 15th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Good luck at the vet today, chico! :goodvibes:

14+kitties
April 15th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Chico - Is there any way you can leave the "torture chamber" in plain sight when it's not being used to take a cat to the vet? Maybe put it in a corner with a favourite blankie in it and just leave it. I usually have one around somewhere in the house that the gang uses for that purpose. Then it's not a big deal if I have to take one in to the vet. Of course in the catuary I just bring a carrier in and they all want to get close to see what I have in there now. :rolleyes: :laughing:
Good luck today!

chico2
April 15th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I tried that 14+,but they would spray on it:yell:

Well,it's over for now,Rocky got a thorough exam,nails clipped,bloodtest and everything else tested.
My sweet vet found Rocky was a bit dehydrated,which is strange,Rocky drinks a lot of water,could be because he still gets runny poop ever now and then.
Vet gave me some Forti Flora,I know it worked good with Vinnie.
Rocky has lost almost 2lb's since december:(
The vet is concerned,but hoping all we need,is to adjust Rockys meds again.
So we'll see once the results are in.

Rocky howled so loud in the car,so by the time we got to the vet,he had no voice left.
Now he's sleeping soundly on the deck,in"his" chair.

Oh,there was a 9 week old Tzu there,OMG was he ever cute..

Melinda
April 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I hope the adjustment on the meds helps him gain back weight, poor Rocky, maybe he was just singing to you in the car?? Glad so far its nothing serious and here's hoping for wonderful blood results back

quincymycat
April 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I'm so happy the vet didn't find anything too out of whack during the physical. Poor Rocky...I know the going in the cat to vet howel so well..downright spooky and the funny thing is, it is usually total silence on the way home!
:goodvibes: :fingerscr that the blood work comes back OK. I hope Rocky enjoys the sun while we have it!

ancientgirl
April 15th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Chico, I hope he just needs some minor adjustment in his meds. :pray:

Frenchy
April 15th, 2010, 03:51 PM
So we'll see once the results are in.

When will you be getting the results ? :goodvibes:

Dog Dancer
April 15th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Am anxiously waiting for test results also. Sure hope it all comes back well.

chico2
April 15th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Well,it will be a couple of days,I would think,I'll be worried,my 14 yr old boy is very,very dear to me.
I love them all,but Rocky and I have been through a lot together.
He's on my lap right now,purring up a storm:lovestruck:
Thank you all for your concern..

hazelrunpack
April 15th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Sounds like he's not holding the trip to the vet against you, Chico! :thumbs up

:goodvibes: for good results on the tests!

You keep on purrin', Rocky! :lovestruck:

Dee-O-Gee
April 15th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Nice to hear Rockie's chillin with his mommy. Sounds like there's no hard feelings Chico2.

Think positive and be strong for great test results. :grouphug:

14+kitties
April 15th, 2010, 10:09 PM
:fingerscr for good news from the visit today. :grouphug: to you. Stay strong.

growler~GateKeeper
April 15th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Did they test his urine also?

:goodvibes: for good results

Smiley14
April 15th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Oh, I'm glad Rocky survived the evil vet visit! :laughing: Sending out lots of :pray: and :goodvibes: for good results! Waiting is the worst. :grouphug:

luckypenny
April 15th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Hope all is good with the test results :goodvibes:.

Tundra_Queen
April 16th, 2010, 01:09 AM
chico, so sorry to hear that Rocky has not been feeling well and had to go to the vets for tests. I hope he will start gaining weight again soon. :grouphug:

My cats also take a long time to eat their food and Darby treats food time like an open buffet. She goes from dish to dish eating until she throws up! She is so fat now and I can't figure out how to get her to just eat from her own dish. Little piggie. :)

Debbie

chico2
April 16th, 2010, 08:00 AM
This morning did not go too good:(he's not eating the way he usually does and he threw up more frothy clear liquid:(
He'll eat a little then walk away and come back.

Growler,no urine test,but he did say Rockys bladder was fine,he has no problems urinating.
I'll wait and see what the blood test shows,then we'll go from there.
He's eating right now, here on my PC-desk.
Thyroid-Cancer is something I don't even want to think about,but it is a possibility:(

catlover2
April 16th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Here's some :goodvibes::grouphug: for you and Rocky. Hope you get some news about the tests and that they are good.

mummummum
April 16th, 2010, 10:39 AM
The waiting...oh the waiting. :grouphug: Chico and a big sloppy :grouphug: to you too Rocky.

diandpat
April 16th, 2010, 10:43 AM
:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: to you Chico and :pray::pray::pray: for Rocky...c'mon boy, start eating and stop being sick. It worries your Mum too much. Hopefully you'll get the results soon and it is an easy fix. It is so awful when they are sick :(

rainbow
April 16th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Sending lots of :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: for Rocky

I hope you get the results today so you don't have to wait until the weekend is over. :grouphug:

chico2
April 16th, 2010, 04:29 PM
You know,he was outside with us today,until Aslan and her sister arrived:laughing:,did not seem sick at all,he ate lunch.
Tomorrow morning,I am sure he'll vomit again:(

My vet said it's good that he's eating grass outside,I am not sure why?but they all do.
I just cannot lose my Tabby-Boy,love him too much..
Thank's everyone for your wellwishes:grouphug:

the gang
April 16th, 2010, 05:09 PM
:fingerscr for your little one, brenda and the pins

chico2
April 18th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I did not get any results yet..
However Rocky was good yesterday,even had solid poop,OMG I was excited,LOVE solid poop:laughing:

Since Rocky does not seem nauseous after hacking up liquid,the vet thought it possible he has a hairball stuck.
He will eat right after having an episode..
We were talking about some kind of paste I could use,but the we got talking about other Rocky-related things and totally forgot about the paste,my vet always takes his time discussing things.

After I get the bloodtest result,I'll get some of that paste,I hope it is just something as simple as a hairball,even if an X-Ray will be needed to find out.

14+kitties
April 18th, 2010, 09:25 AM
I am so glad Rocky is feeling more himself. :highfive::grouphug:
Could you try putting a little butter on his front paws? He will lick it off and it will help break up the hairball so he can pass it easier. It's what I use when my guys have a bad one. :shrug:

chico2
April 18th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Thank's 14+.I'll try that,Rocky loves butter,I sometimes let him lick a little off my sandwich...shhhhh don't tell anyone:laughing:
I am not saying Rocky is back to normal,he's still skinny and sleeps a little more than normal,but he seems better somehow:fingerscr

ancientgirl
April 18th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Thank's 14+.I'll try that,Rocky loves butter,I sometimes let him lick a little off my sandwich...shhhhh don't tell anyone:laughing:
I am not saying Rocky is back to normal,he's still skinny and sleeps a little more than normal,but he seems better somehow:fingerscr

LOL, heck, I do the same thing. I even let Vlad lick my spoon when I'm eating ice-cream.

Sounds like Rocky is doing a little better. I hope he gets better soon.:pray:

hazelrunpack
April 18th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Glad to hear he had a good poopie!!! :highfive: hazel loves good poopies, too! :o

Get better soon, Rocky! You're worrying your mom! :goodvibes: :grouphug:

chico2
April 18th, 2010, 04:30 PM
He did have a god day today,exploring the backyard(see pic-Forum),did not sleep as much..ate a good lunch,so hopefully it's only a hair-ball,nothing more serious.

Dee-O-Gee
April 18th, 2010, 04:45 PM
:highfive: Rockie!

Solid poop is a great thing! :thumbs up

We've used the paste before for kitty. I think is was some kind of pate flavoured paste where you put a little on your finger tip and let him lick it off. It was amazing how it worked so this may be a simple easy solution for the little guy!

Glad to hear he had a great day! :thumbs up

edwina
April 18th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I hope Rocky is feeling better, and gets better soon chico. :pray:
:grouphug::grouphug:

Tundra_Queen
April 18th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I'm glad Rocky is feeling better. :D I buy a lick stick, like a deodarant stick at Walmart. It's made by Purina and the cats seem to like it.

14+ do u use real butter or margarine?

Love4himies
April 19th, 2010, 07:48 AM
He did have a god day today,exploring the backyard(see pic-Forum),did not sleep as much..ate a good lunch,so hopefully it's only a hair-ball,nothing more serious.

So glad to hear that. It could very well be a furball. I know with each year passing Puddles has more and more problems with furballs. Now she is "off" for about a week when she has one.
:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

chico2
April 19th, 2010, 08:21 AM
This morning I found some wet spots on my(one and only:frustrated:)carpet,with dark hair in it,not a hairball,just hair...
The bloodtest was mostly for his Thyroid and some other stuff,but I hope :pray:his lethargy etc..was only due to a hairball:pray:
Today he had a good morning again,finished all his food:thumbs up

14+kitties
April 19th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I'm glad Rocky is feeling better. :D I buy a lick stick, like a deodarant stick at Walmart. It's made by Purina and the cats seem to like it.

14+ do u use real butter or margarine?

I use real butter. Margarine is edible oil so it's probably ok too. I just don't like using it. :yuck: But then I don't use a whole lot of real butter either (for me). :rolleyes:
I would just be concerned as to what goes into those sticks and pastes. With butter I know what I'm getting. :shrug:

Love4himies
April 19th, 2010, 11:58 AM
This morning I found some wet spots on my(one and only:frustrated:)carpet,with dark hair in it,not a hairball,just hair...
The bloodtest was mostly for his Thyroid and some other stuff,but I hope :pray:his lethargy etc..was only due to a hairball:pray:
Today he had a good morning again,finished all his food:thumbs up

It sometimes takes Puddles a couple of tries before the "big one", and yes it is always on one of the two carpets I have in the house :frustrated: :laughing:

chico2
April 19th, 2010, 04:27 PM
L4H,typical,isn't it:laughing:it's just a cheap IKEA carpet,so it really does not matter,it's washable,I am not sure what cat did this,could be Chico or Rocky,it was dark hair.
I'll probably hear from the vet tonight:fingerscr

chico2
April 19th, 2010, 04:30 PM
14+,the few times I have a sandwich,it has to be butter...hubby gets Becel,but I would not touch that stuff:yuck:
I put a little butter on a cracker for Rocky,but he would not lick it,Vinnie and Chico did.
Rocky insisted on my sandwich,so he still got some.

Tundra_Queen
April 19th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I use real butter. Margarine is edible oil so it's probably ok too. I just don't like using it. :yuck: But then I don't use a whole lot of real butter either (for me). :rolleyes:
I would just be concerned as to what goes into those sticks and pastes. With butter I know what I'm getting. :shrug:

Thanks 14+ I'm like chico's hub and use Becel, but I think I will buy some butter for the kitties and just cut it up and freeze it in little pieces for them.

Golden Girls
April 20th, 2010, 10:46 AM
L4H,typical,isn't it:laughing:it's just a cheap IKEA carpet,so it really does not matter,it's washable,I am not sure what cat did this,could be Chico or Rocky,it was dark hair.
I'll probably hear from the vet tonight:fingerscrSending :goodvibes: your way Chico :2huggers:

14+kitties
April 20th, 2010, 12:40 PM
14+,the few times I have a sandwich,it has to be butter...hubby gets Becel,but I would not touch that stuff:yuck:
I put a little butter on a cracker for Rocky,but he would not lick it,Vinnie and Chico did.
Rocky insisted on my sandwich,so he still got some.

That's why if it goes on his front paws he has to lick it. Part of the grooming. It was a vet who told me years ago to try it with my Pepe. :rip:Always seemed to work with him.

Thanks 14+ I'm like chico's hub and use Becel, but I think I will buy some butter for the kitties and just cut it up and freeze it in little pieces for them.

Becel would probably work TQ. It is an oil. Just I can't eat it :yuck: so I don't give it to my kitties.

Melinda
April 20th, 2010, 01:11 PM
glad he's doing better, a hint for those that don't eat butter but would like some for their cats/kittens, just ask for some next time you go out to supper *L*, nice convenient little packs to keep in the fridge

chico2
April 20th, 2010, 05:09 PM
14+,I am going to try the paw thing,cause I don't eat sandwiches that often:thumbs up
Melinda,that's a great idea,I use butter a lot,even fry in it,as I don't like oil.
Hubby makes his own salad-dressing so he uses Virgin Olive Oil.

I was busy today and hubby had surgery on his toe,so the cats went out later and Rocky seems fine,just skinny,he has no muscle-tone in his back-legs,so I suspect he has arthritis too.
Still no call from the vet..

hazelrunpack
April 20th, 2010, 06:44 PM
How is hubby feeling this afternoon, chico? :goodvibes:

Glad to hear that Rocky seems better! When we have thyroids checked here, the results aren't often back for a week. Likely, the vet is waiting for all the results to be back before he calls you! :grouphug:

mummummum
April 21st, 2010, 03:24 AM
Hang in there Chico! And :goodvibes: that the "old man" is just getting a "saggy butt" like the rest of us!

That would be errrrrmmm Rocky, not your DH. :D

ancientgirl
April 21st, 2010, 08:27 AM
I buy the Land O'Lakes butter. They have a new one with butter and olive oil. When I make toast Vlad and Oksana come running because they love to lick inside the bowl. Yes, I'm guilty, I let my cats lick straight from the bowl. LOL, I don't mind some kitty germs.:D

chico2
April 21st, 2010, 11:29 AM
Well,hubby is ok,now we are both in pain,but we will be ok,interesting situation

chico2
April 21st, 2010, 11:31 AM
Rocky is sleeping outside right beside my invalid hubby,ate good this morning,seems ok..:fingerscr

hazelrunpack
April 21st, 2010, 04:04 PM
:highfive: Hurrah for quick recoveries!!! :fingerscr :goodvibes:

onster
April 22nd, 2010, 12:02 PM
Just saw this, I'm glad dear Rocky is on the mend.

Good vibes and well wishes for both rocky and hubby :goodvibes:

BenMax
April 22nd, 2010, 12:55 PM
So glad Rocky is feeling more like himself.:thumbs up

I am continuing to send nothing but positive vibes your way..:goodvibes::grouphug:

quincymycat
April 22nd, 2010, 01:57 PM
I have to put my :2cents: in about the hairballs......usually always on the carpet, but, I have one guy who sleeps next to my head in bed and I was awoken to the familiar hack, hack of hairball coming....he expelled that one right on the sheet next to my head!!!! I love my guys and really don't care where it comes out, just that it does.....but jeez, it would have nice had he at least tried to hit the floor first! :D

chico2
April 22nd, 2010, 02:56 PM
I talked to my vet for 45minutes on the phone.
The test show Rocky has an overload of Calcium and the vet suspects a Carsinoma(think that was the word)cancer.:cry:

He said it can be removed surgically,but would not do it on his own 14yr old cat.
The recovery is long and the possibility of complications very high.
So,he upped his meds and will see him in 6 weeks,then he will do a needle-biopsy to be sure.
I am crying writing this,the thought of losing my boy is just impossible to think of.

I also talked to him about Baileys ears,but that goes in the proper post.

BenMax
April 22nd, 2010, 03:02 PM
Chico2. Keep your thoughts positive. I am so sorry you received bad news.:grouphug:

quincymycat
April 22nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
Chico....I am so sorry to hear about poor Rocky. I have nothing to offer on advise, I have never been throgh it with any of my current or previous kitties, but my thoughts are with you and Rocky. :grouphug: :sorry:

Chris21711
April 22nd, 2010, 03:25 PM
So sorry to hear about Rocky Chico....He is a tabby and they are tough little dudes, try and stay positive....hugs to you both :grouphug:

chico2
April 22nd, 2010, 04:45 PM
Thank's everyone:grouphug:
I am ok now,so far Rocky is a happy kitty,enjoying going outside,eating,drinking ok.
I have had 2 kitties with cancer and I will never let Rocky go through what my Sammy and Peppi did,just because I did not want to lose them.
I'll try to keep his weight up,give him his meds and if it looks like he's losing interest in life,I'll let him go.
The Biopsy will be done 6 weeks from now,I am not sure why the vet wants to wait,until Rockys meds are upped and in Rockys system,but I trust my vet.

diandpat
April 22nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
Aw Chico, this is so not the news I was hoping to see when I opened this thread :( One thing is for sure, he lives a great life with you and will certainly stick around as long as he can letting you and Mr Chico love him up :thumbs up

Hopefully the new meds will shrink whatever the heck it is and he will still have a long long time to roll in the grass. :cloud9:

:grouphug:

aslan
April 22nd, 2010, 05:34 PM
Chico we are both sooooo sorry to hear this about Rocky. Of course he's happy he has you and hubby as his parents. I know you will give him the best..As always if you need anything you know we're not far and will be there in a shot..hugs to you both from Grace and I.:2huggers:

Love4himies
April 22nd, 2010, 05:52 PM
I just don't have any words, chico :( :cry:, I am crying along with you :cry::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

catlover2
April 22nd, 2010, 07:16 PM
Cancer is such a terrible disease, and am so sorry to hear that's what he has. I know you'll love him and let him go when it's his time. I've had the experience as you have of hanging on because I couldn't bear to see a couple of my old friends go and suffered more than they should have. Like you, it's a hard lesson to learn. Geez, so very sorry for you. Rocky knows you love him dearly. :lovestruck: :cat:

Winston
April 22nd, 2010, 07:25 PM
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I am so sorry to hear this mf! :(

Jim Hall
April 22nd, 2010, 08:14 PM
well rocky is in the best of hands

cpietra16
April 22nd, 2010, 08:19 PM
Chico..Im so sorry to hear all this..poor you and poor Rocky. Rocky is in the best hands, best home, best love....:lovestruck:

Dee-O-Gee
April 22nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
Where there is love, there is pain.

I've been following Rockie's progress through this thread and I am so sorry to hear of his results. Just be strong Chico2 for youself, Rockie, Chico, Vinnie and your family.

No need to feel alone cause we're all here for you! :grouphug:

the gang
April 22nd, 2010, 09:46 PM
oh chico im so sorry i so no how you feel, hubby brought in 1 eye nick today, i thought it was a bite on her toe, but it looks like it might be a tumor, fingers crossed for both of them, brenda and the pins:fingerscr

14+kitties
April 22nd, 2010, 10:13 PM
:grouphug: chico. You know where I am too if you need a shoulder. Rocky is in good hands with you, hubby and your vet. :grouphug::fingerscr:goodvibes::pray: coming your way.

krdahmer
April 22nd, 2010, 11:41 PM
:cry: (Sorry Chico, still blubbering from the news about Duffy :() I am so sorry the news was not better about Rocky....glad to hear that he's doing better though, and eating and relaxing. You guys have got my :pray::goodvibes: tonight too! :grouphug:

Frenchy
April 23rd, 2010, 09:30 AM
Where there is love, there is pain.

so true klm :(

I am so sorry Chico2 :( Like everyone else has said , Rocky is in the best home with the best parents he could have ask for.

I will be :pray: for no cancer.

Melinda
April 23rd, 2010, 09:46 AM
my thoughts are with you Chico, its not an easy thing for anyone to go through, Rocky is in the best of hands with you and hubby. *hugs*

chico2
April 23rd, 2010, 10:34 AM
It's ok girls,as long as there is life,there is hope:pray:
Right now,I can't even think of losing him,he's my very special buddy,even though he's given me many scars.
His instincts are almost human,he gets concerned if I cough,if I cry or am upset about anything,he talks up a storm,when he wants something,I love him very much:lovestruck:
He loves to go out with dad and that's what he's doing right now:cat:

Tundra_Queen
April 23rd, 2010, 11:15 AM
Chico, I'm so sorry to hear that Rocky might have cancer. :grouphug: But I am praying that it is not and that he will keep feeling better and eating better.

Debbie

Love4himies
April 23rd, 2010, 12:31 PM
Chico, Puddles also has high blood calcium and the vet did mention the chance of cancer too, but also mentioned that it was rare in cats but common in dogs :shrug:. He also mentioned that blood calcium readings are not necessarily reliable and could simply be affected by hydration levels.

http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00123.htm

Frequency of Associated Condition with Hypercalcemia in Cats (Savary et al., 2000)
Renal Failure 38%
Neoplasia 21% (
Urolithiasis 15% (12.7% in association with renal failure)
Neoplasia + Renal Failure 8.5%
Primary hyperparathyroidism 5.6%
Nonparathyroid endocrine disease 5.6%
Infectious disease 5.6%
Poorly defined 12.7%

So there are other causes than cancer. :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

NoahGrey
April 23rd, 2010, 01:40 PM
Oh Chico I am so sorry. If you ever want to talk, you can always message me. I think you have my home email or was it my work email?

ancientgirl
April 23rd, 2010, 02:30 PM
Chico, I just saw your new post. I'm so sorry. But right now, the vet just suspects, so please be positive. Maybe it's just something that came out in the tests that will get back to normal after some meds.
:pray::pray::pray::grouphug::grouphug:

chico2
April 23rd, 2010, 05:00 PM
Thank you everyone for your support:grouphug:

L4H,the vet did say Rocky was dehydrated,I don't know why,since he drinks a lot of water:confused:
His thyroid-gland has gotten bigger and that's also why the vet suspects cancer.
Rocky also hacks up clear foamy stuff almost every morning,but after that has a great appetite.:confused:could be a hairball stuck,but it could also be something more sinister.
His additional weight-loss is also a sign,but I am hoping the vet is wrong,we'll just have to wait and see:pray:

hazelrunpack
April 23rd, 2010, 10:04 PM
:fingerscr that the vet's suspicions are wrong, chico :grouphug:

:goodvibes: for the handsome Rocky!!! Love that last picture of him in the grass :flirt:

Lukka'sma
April 23rd, 2010, 10:12 PM
I will be thinking of you and Rocky and waiting for the biopsy results. :fingerscr for Rocky.

TeriM
April 24th, 2010, 01:11 AM
That is a wonderful pic of Rocky :lovestruck:.

I'm so sorry to hear the news Chico, I will keep lots of good thoughts for you both and hope for better news at your next visit :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:.

clm
April 24th, 2010, 02:33 AM
OMG Chico2. I had no idea the vet suspected cancer. :(
Praying that the biopsy comes back saying there is no cancer and he has a clean bill of health. Horrible you have to wait so long to find out though.
I love that picture of him in the grass.

clm

Magicwildwolf69
April 24th, 2010, 08:53 AM
So sorry for the news Chico2 :( i've been following the thread and i'm hoping also that the vet is wrong. hope he keeps eating and feels better soon :) you and rocky are in my thoughts

growler~GateKeeper
April 25th, 2010, 03:50 AM
My sweet vet found Rocky was a bit dehydrated,which is strange,Rocky drinks a lot of water,could be because he still gets runny poop ever now and then.

At his age the kidneys are normally not concentrating as much as they did when he was younger and he will need to drink more to compensate for that.

When Rocky has his needle-biopsy, get them to take a urine sample & test those values specifically the Urine Specific Gravity (USG)

The clear foamy stomach acid Rocky is bringing up in the mornings could just be nausea from being too hungry at that time - try feeding him a tablespoon or two before you go to bed. Frequent vomiting of stomach acid esp when combined with large volume drinking can also be an indicator of kidney issues.

http://diaglab.vet.cornell.edu/clinpath/modules/chem/hypercal.htm

That's why if it goes on his front paws he has to lick it. Part of the grooming. It was a vet who told me years ago to try it with my Pepe. :rip:Always seemed to work with him.

Don't count on it being part of the grooming ;) I've had 2 cats (Mischief & Duffy) who wouldn't lick something off their paws if they didn't like the taste - they'd leave it until I cleaned it off & Missy was OCD about washing.

14+kitties
April 25th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Don't count on it being part of the grooming ;) I've had 2 cats (Mischief & Duffy) who wouldn't lick something off their paws if they didn't like the taste - they'd leave it until I cleaned it off & Missy was OCD about washing.

Weird. I've never had any that don't clean their paws. :shrug:

chico2
April 25th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Growler thank you for helping out:grouphug:
Rocky actually licked the butter off my finger,but I have a feeling it's not a hairball.
Almost every morning before he eats,he drinks,goes down to the litter-box,has a good pee and then starts hacking up a small puddle of foamy but clear liquid.
The needle-biopsy will be done in 6 weeks,not sure why the wait,but my vet must have his reasons.
He was going to test his urine the last time,but Rockys bladder was empty.

growler~GateKeeper
April 26th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Try the just-before bedtime snack & see if that helps.

Your vet likely wants to see if the increase in meds levels out his thyroid numbers, reduces the size of the gland and improves his weight etc as it is possible all the symptoms will resolve once the T4 levels return to normal, making biopsy unnecessary. :goodvibes:

chico2
April 26th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Growler,we were having a bad morning,he vomited quiet a lot of liquid and then did not eat.
I give him his pill in his food,so I tried spoon-feeding him and he ate some.
Now he's outside in the chair,after having checked out the property and I again spoon-fed him from the morning-dish.
He seems tired,wants to be close to me all the time..
I feed them 6:30 am,lunch around 1pm and dinner about 6:30 pm,then they get treats at night,but getting Rocky to eat is a struggle:(
I think you are right about why the vet wants to wait,thank you:grouphug:
I feel really down worrying about Rocky,but you know all about that,for sure:grouphug:

He also told me the cats don't need to be sedated to have a needle biopsy:(

diandpat
April 26th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Try the just-before bedtime snack & see if that helps.

Your vet likely wants to see if the increase in meds levels out his thyroid numbers, reduces the size of the gland and improves his weight etc as it is possible all the symptoms will resolve once the T4 levels return to normal, making biopsy unnecessary. :goodvibes:
I like the way you think...let's hope it will resolve some of these symptoms. :fingerscr:goodvibes:

Chico, I am so sorry you are having such a tough morning...it is absolutely the worse when they are sick. If he is sticking close, I always feel that means they know we know and are trying to help :grouphug:

All the best :goodvibes:

14+kitties
April 26th, 2010, 02:10 PM
:grouphug: Stay strong for Rocky chico. I know it's tough. :grouphug:
Hopefully things won't be as bad as you fear. :fingerscr:goodvibes:

mummummum
April 26th, 2010, 03:36 PM

Hugs :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Chico. I'm so glad he has you.

Can you give him a baby gravol just to"take the edge off" before the biopsy?

Frenchy
April 26th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Chico2 , just wanted to give you another one of these : :grouphug:

edwina
April 26th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I hope whatever is wrong with Rocky can be fixed, and he gets better soon. :pray: I hate it when furbabies are sick. :(
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

chico2
April 26th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Thank's everyone,our Forum has been so sad lately I seem to sit here crying every time I go on,today was no different ,with Brownie gone:cry:

I was spoonfeeding Rocky again at lunch outside,he seems to like it that way,probably because he does not need to bend down,I am going to put his dish up higher,maybe that will help.
He is soo skinny:(

luckypenny
April 26th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I'm so sorry to hear Rocky's not feeling better yet :(. Are you planning on speaking with the vet soon? Maybe his meds need another minor adjustment? Just reaching here :o. I really hope he's better soon :grouphug:.

Dee-O-Gee
April 26th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Oh Chico--my heart goes out to you and all your sweeties. Just be strong and think positive thoughts. :highfive:

Not sure if you have seen this, but here is a quick 2 minute upbeat zoomer video that I made a few weeks back. Please don't mind my disgusting discoloured back yard. :o It was just about Gryphon, Mollie & my daughter having some family fun. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ccseDvsQc8

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Cheers! :thumbs up

Smiley14
April 26th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Oh, Chico, I am so very sorry. I was hoping for better new for you. :grouphug: When Billy had cancer and wouldn't eat and would vomit the foamy liquid like that as well, the two things that worked really well (now don't laugh) were meat based baby foods and KFC chicken. Obviously not good nutritionally, but if the goal is to just get him to eat anything at this point to put a little weight on, it might be worth a try for a few bites throughout the day on top of his normal food. I had to try so many different things and what he would eat one morning, he wouldn't touch the next morning because once he vomited it, he associated his nausea with it. I used to go through the KFC drive through every week and pick up a new 10 piece bucket of chicken for him, LOL. I'd shred the meat up and he'd gobble it down, it seemed to settle his tummy as then he would eat some of his cat food as well then. For some reason, it had to be KFC. He wouldn't touch chicken that I baked for him, go figure. I had to stop the chicken eventually when his CRF got too bad, and then his weight again plummeted as we went back to his barely eating again. It sounds ridiculous and it's the worst nutritional advice, but it kept weight on him and kept him happy for almost two years!

But I'm so sorry again. I hope his next test in 6 weeks goes better. :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
April 27th, 2010, 12:19 AM
I'm sorry Rocky is no better, chico :grouphug:

Sending more :goodvibes: for the handsome boy!

chico2
April 27th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Thank's everyone,this morning again,he vomited,so I waited with his food for a bit,until he felt better.
Then I mashed his pill in a spoon with a little food and he licked it up,then I used a fat Dictionary(you use what you have:D),put his dish on it and he ate all his food:thumbs up
It's obvious he had trouble eating having to bend down,so,I am not as stupid as I look.:cat:
Of course,he is still sick,but I am really happy he eats,the Dictionary did the trick.

Luckypenny,I talked to the vet a long time on the phone after we got the test-results and he is upping Rockys meds slowly

Smiley,I'll try some chicken later at night,before lights out,to see if it will stop his vomiting in the morning.
He is not acting sick,hubby just took them out and Rocky is going around checking for any intruders.
I am so,so very happy I got him eating:thumbs up

mummummum
April 27th, 2010, 10:07 AM
The smallest of steps can mean the greatest of victories Chico ~ good for you for being so resourceful!

ancientgirl
April 27th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Chico, maybe eating his food all bent forward is what's making him vomit. I hope the higher elevation of his plate helps him.:grouphug:

hazelrunpack
April 27th, 2010, 10:53 AM
growler has mentioned a few times that elevating the bowls can keep them from getting acid reflux and feeling nauseated--so that's not so off the wall, chico! Great idea, in fact! :highfive: I'm so glad he ate!!! :grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
April 29th, 2010, 01:53 AM

The procedure of a needle biopsy is much like having blood drawn, a needle is inserted in the area & a small amount of tissue is withdrawn into the syringe. The initial poke and final withdrawl of the needle is the only time it may hurt a little.

Keep his dishes elevated above stomach level, that will help keep any stomach acid down while he is eating & drinking. Do whatever you can to keep him eating on his own, even if that means a less than ideal canned food :grouphug:

chico2
April 29th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Growler,thank's:grouphug:
Ever since I have been putting
his dish on a thick book,he's been eating like a fiend:thumbs up brekki,lunch and dinner.
His water-dish is also elevated.
Actually they all eat more canned since I stopped the dry completely.
I always make sure Rocky gets his pill,by crushing it in a bit of food on a spoon and so far he licks it all up,I am very relieved.
This morning I found a big clump of grass,mixed with hair and a lot of clear liquid, that he had vomited.
Maybe:pray:the vet thinks cancer because he had not been eating well,hence not getting all his meds,I am hoping there is still a chance,it's not the big ugly C:fingerscr
They eat Wellness and Feline Holistic Select.

ancientgirl
April 29th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Chico, I hope elevating his food does the trick for Rocky. It sounds like it's really been helping.:pray:

Tundra_Queen
April 29th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Chico, I'm so glad that elevating the food and water dishes have helped Rocky!!! *doing the happy dance* That is wonderful news!! :grouphug:

I had to put Willie's dishes up a few years back too. I use cookie tins and those little rubbermaid plastic containers (and even a step stool at times.)

Give Rocky a gentle hug from me!!

Debbie

chico2
April 29th, 2010, 03:35 PM
awww,he gets lots of hugs,I love him like crazy,but I'll give him one from you,ok:cat:

Magicwildwolf69
April 29th, 2010, 05:09 PM
sending hugs for rocky and for you Chico and lots of :goodvibes:

Tundra_Queen
April 30th, 2010, 12:35 PM
thanks chico. :D

rainbow
April 30th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Chico, I just read this thread now and so sorry to hear about Rocky. :grouphug:

Glad to hear he is eating again now that his dishes are elevated. :thumbs up

And, sending lots of :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: for his continued improvement. :grouphug:

chico2
April 30th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Thank's everyone,he seems to do ok,eats more than Chico and Vinnie,so it's a mystery to me:confused:
The elevated food and water-dishes certainly helped,100%,if I had only known,before he lost all the weight:(

catlover2
April 30th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I've been following the thread....glad to hear this simple solution is working. :thumbs up Almost sounds like Rocky has GRD=gastroesophageal reflux disease, like some people get?

Magicwildwolf69
April 30th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Thank's everyone,he seems to do ok,eats more than Chico and Vinnie,so it's a mystery to me:confused:
The elevated food and water-dishes certainly helped,100%,if I had only known,before he lost all the weight:(

don't beat yourself up over though...sometimes with our babies we never know they are having trouble cause they are just so good at hiding it. its just good now because he's eating and hopefully he will gain some weight for you.

:grouphug: to you and :goodvibes: for rocky

onster
April 30th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Chico :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Come on rocky, don't scare your mommy like that...hopefully with the elevated dished he'll gain some weight :fingerscr Youre both in my prayers :grouphug: