Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Um, Yikes!

rjesak
April 12th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Just a quick background, my best friend lost her house and moved in a couple of months ago with her three cats and two dogs. That makes us an 11 cat/2 dog house.:eek: The two dogs aren't bad with cats at all but they tend to be very... um, excited, about the cats. They bark and go crazy and want to go slobber on them. There's gonna be a bloody nose eventually.

Anyway, yesterday evening I heard a lot of barking and some screaming (as yet unidentified). I went out to investigate and found the two dogs barking crazily at something under the deck. The something turned out to be a VERY unhappy and birthing cat!!!! There were two kittens out already. I took the dogs inside and called the emergency hospital and they said it would be better not to move her. Just to make sure there was food and water for her. I also put out a blanket - it's not so bad out but it's getting down into the 40s which seems like it could be chilly for naked newborns.

She seems to have finished her business and there are four kittens. They all LOOK fine (though I'm soooo not an expert). Mama cat isn't happy about me getting anywhere near her and since she's under the deck, my approach is limited.

So a whole bunch of questions.

:confused:How do I get her and them packed appropriately to go to the vet?

:confused:When do I take her? Immediately, or should I let them settle in for a bit first?

:confused:Then what? :confused:I can't keep them - do I just take them to a shelter? Free to good home them? Help! I don't know what to do!!! :eek:

MyBirdIsEvil
April 12th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Take them IMMEDIATELY. Anything could happen under there. If a raccoon or something wanders under it will eat the kittens and the mom could get injured. Not to mention the effect of whatever weather you are having there. Plus the mom may not be super healthy and who knows if she's getting enough milk to the kittens.

As far as catching them, could you bait a live trap for the mom? That would be the least stressful for her. I bet she's hungry so if you put some canned cat food she'd probably go in.

As for what to do with them, that is really your choice. I'd first ask the vet if they can keep them and find them a home, a lot of vets will do that. If not try to find a low or no-kill shelter that can find a foster home.

MyBirdIsEvil
April 12th, 2010, 10:58 AM
btw though, don't just give up and take them to the pound. If nothing else there may be someone that is willing to take them and raise them and find them homes.

I have a mama cat and her 7 kittens, who are 8 months old now. I rescued them at 3 days old, the males are already fixed and the females going in wednesday. So yeah there are people like me that will take in and rescue animals even though we're not technically a rescue or foster home.

Do you have a local message board? I have one here and all of the animal rescues and fosters and animal lovers post on there. You might be able to get more info or find someone.

Do not just give them away to someone random though. There are people that will sell animals to labs or use them for dog fighting bait or who knows what. It must be someone with references.

14+kitties
April 12th, 2010, 11:33 AM
MBIE has given you good advice. The best way to catch mom is to live trap her. Does she look like a stray or feral? But of course if she is protecting her babies she will act feral.
Once you live trap her it will be easy for you to get the kittens - if you can reach them. You need to try to set up an area where she can be safe with her babies. Sounds like you have a full house so that may be difficult. Do you have a relative or friend who may be willing to help out for a few weeks? When I had mommas with babies I set them up in very large dog crates with non clumping litter. Clumping litter is deadly to kittens!
If you have a no kill shelter and they aren't already overloaded with kittens and moms they may take them but I would be hesitant to take them there without looking for other options first.
Please do not ever offer free to good home kittens. There are so many horror stories out there. Being taken to labs, dog bait, snake food, dismemberment, just general mischief. You should also do a s/n contract with them. The way I have it set up is if I adopt an intact cat then they pay a little more. Generally in the $50 range. When the cat is taken in to be fixed the money is paid to their vet to go toward the cost of s/n. Or if I take the cat myself then it goes to the rescue I work through.
Thank you for worrying about this cat and her babies. So many wouldn't. :(

rjesak
April 12th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Called the vet and we're supposed to take them in this afternoon. Momma cat actually doesn't look like a stray - not that she's familiar or anything, she just has what looks like a really healthy coat, good weight... How do you know? I'm wondering if she "became" a stray when her owner figured out she wasn't just pudgy? Ugh, I hate thinking like that! :yuck:

She is pretty excited about the Wellness I put out for her. She hisses and snarls if I try to reach in there but she's certainly happy to eat it. Fortunately I have a really big crate I bought in case I ever needed to evacuate all my cats (having a good friend who's a firefighter will make you super paranoid :rolleyes:)! I'll put the plate of wellness in there and see if she'll go in on her own.

We have an ASPCA here which is no kill but, ridiculously, when they get overcrowded, they send the "spares" to the kill shelter. I can't figure out how you can be a no kill shelter and send animals to a kill shelter... How's that work? :frustrated:

Fortunately, the weather, at the moment at least, is easy to deal with. It's getting down into the upper 40s at night and up to the 80s during the day (hmmm, that's around 7-8 Celsius, for those of you on that scale, to about 29 C) - it could definitely be a lot worse!

The vet normally would take them but they recently got in 29 puppies and counting (puppy mill - can't even think of it:(:yell:) so they're in no-room-at-the-inn mode right now. I'm guessing I'll put them in the garage for now - the vet DID say that there are some people they can call who have a history of helping out so they'll see if they can find any takers. I wish I could keep them but I just can't see how I could make it work. We are way overrun already!

14+kitties
April 12th, 2010, 12:00 PM
It's difficult to tell really if she is a stray. Some of them have really good coats. Not many but some. Especially if they haven't been out long. As you yourself said - kicked out for being preggers through no fault of her own. :wall:
Could you put up some posters in your area just to make sure she isn't owned by someone who may be looking for her? Maybe in a six block radius or so. Although why they wouldn't get her fixed.......... They really wouldn't deserve her back but possibly if you managed to find someone looking for her you could give them the s/n talk before surrendering her. Of course they would also probably be the type that would do "free kitten" ads. It's a vicious cycle.
:fingerscr she will go in the crate on her own. Make sure if she does you are close by to close it quickly. Let us know what the vet says. :goodvibes:

MyBirdIsEvil
April 12th, 2010, 06:27 PM
She could be a stray even if she has a good coat. If someone like you was feeding her outside that could explain why she was healthy. Or if there's a lot of edible stuff in the trash around there. Or if she's just an extremely good hunter, etc.

BTW, if you can get her in a crate you may want to wear long welding gloves or something when you go to shut the door. If she squeezes out she may go after you, because believe me she will NOT be happy about having the door shut on her.

rjesak
April 13th, 2010, 05:41 AM
LMAO! Loaded the crate up with canned food, put in a blanket and left it for a while. When I came back, she had moved in with her kittens and was happily nested. She wasn't too happy when I closed the door on her - she'll never trust me again!

Vet said momma cat was young (less than one year old), but she and the kittens are as healthy as can be. I hadn't noticed but at some point, mama cat had a fifth so there were five kittens total.

I put up posters around the neighborhood. Maybe if I find the owner, I'll have the cat spayed before I return her! :wall: Ah well. The vet's looking for a foster home for them but in the meantime, they're ensconced in my garage. They're fairly happy in the crate actually. It's big enough to house them pretty comfortably.

hazelrunpack
April 13th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Oh, lucky Mama and Family!!! You're an :angel:, rjesak!

I hope a foster home comes along soon! :goodvibes:

MyBirdIsEvil
April 13th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Great to hear :thumbs up

Mama cat and her kittens are lucky, and sounds like they're all doing well. :cloud9:

14+kitties
April 13th, 2010, 11:49 AM
You are definitely lucky. I would think she is a stray cat rather than feral. No self respecting feral kitty would have moved herself and babies that quickly and for sure not somewhere in the open so to speak.
I am so glad she and the babies are healthy. So young though. :( Good luck on finding a foster home for her or someone who is willing to look after them. A place in the garage is a good choice if you can't. And I agree. A large dog crate is ideal for raising a litter of kittens if a room is not available. :thumbs up
And umm, I expected to see some pictures??

MyBirdIsEvil
April 13th, 2010, 11:57 AM

I know. How selfish! Couldn't she have snapped some pics inbetween all the catching and moving and such! :p:laughing:

Love4himies
April 13th, 2010, 01:22 PM

I know. How selfish! Couldn't she have snapped some pics inbetween all the catching and moving and such! :p:laughing:

I agree :mad:. It doesn't take much to run and get the camera, resize the pics, and post them for us :frustrated: :laughing:

Thanks for rescuing this kitty, her owners certainly didn't take very good care of her :yell:. Poor kitty :(

You should wait until momma's milk dries up before spaying and that could take up to 12 weeks ;)

krdahmer
April 13th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Wow! She just moved right in with the kittens for ya!!! I swear they can sense us cat people....what a smart move on her part and what a great rescue on yours:thumbs up! Hope momma and kittens are all happy and know how lucky they are to have found their kitty :angel2:! And ya....pics please please please please!!! ;)

chico2
April 13th, 2010, 04:18 PM
rjsak,that mama-kitty knew where she would have her babies,sensed that there was a caring person living there..
Thank you,thank you for saving them:grouphug:
Hopefully a foster will come along,to help you out:fingerscr

14+kitties
April 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I agree :mad:. It doesn't take much to run and get the camera, resize the pics, and post them for us :frustrated: :laughing:

Well now gals, you know I do that for you! It only takes a while. ........... :whistle::whistle:

Love4himies
April 13th, 2010, 05:51 PM
How are the kitties doing?

Love4himies
April 13th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Well now gals, you know I do that for you! It only takes a while. ........... :whistle::whistle:

I know you would. :D

Maybe rjesak needs more training from senior pets.ca members :shrug:

14+kitties
April 13th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Maybe rjesak needs more training from senior pets.ca members :shrug:

Yeah! That's it!! Be careful who yer callin' Senior there chicky!!! :laughing:

rjesak
April 14th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I'm sorry! I'm sorry! :sorry:

Pictures today - I promise! My best friend moved in a couple of weeks ago and a lot of things got misplaced in the shuffle - her driver's license, my camera... I found it this morning though so I'll definitely post today.

The vet found a foster home for them!! It's not available until this weekend but I can watch them that long. The biggest problem will be handing them over - I'm a sucker for kittens (which is why I have so many full-grown cats), but I will give them up. I will, I will...:rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
April 14th, 2010, 09:57 AM
:laughing: Well I'm glad the camera resurfaced before the kitties go to their foster home! Sorry you'll have to let them go, though :grouphug:--sort of bittersweet, eh? Sounds like their good luck continues, though, with all these :angel:s looking out for them!

And we're gonna hold you to those pics!! :D

14+kitties
April 14th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Couple of weeks ago? I thought you said in the first post a couple of months ago? Weird. Anyhooooo - wonderful news on the foster family! The kittens and momma will love it! I know what you mean about kittens. One of the reasons I have so many. :rolleyes: But then again, a lot of mine came to me as full grown, full of attitude ferals!!
Pictures would be great! Also would be a nice memory for you. :thumbs up

rjesak
April 14th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Sorry for the confusion - her house was scheduled for closing at the end of February so she was originally going to be out by that date. The closing date slid so her final move did too although she'd been moving stuff since the beginning of February. She finally moved herself, the cats, and the dogs when her electricity was turned off midway through March.

The kitties are doing great! Mama cat says I'm welcome any time and she even lets me touch the kittens (which I only did to get you picture-hounds your pictures:D).

Very fortunately, she's a good mom and I'm not having to do much aside from keep her fed and watered.

Now, I gotta remember how to post pix...

I'll try to get some shots of the kittens later - now it's off to class.

chico2
April 14th, 2010, 03:38 PM
rjesak,ooooh,awwww that is adorable,she was a lucky momma to find you,hopefully the little ones and mama will have a bright future in good homes:pray:

14+kitties
April 14th, 2010, 06:03 PM
BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:
OMG!! I miss babies!!!!! How cute! And momma looks like she is doing a wonderful job for her cuties. Love it! Three tabbies and two black? :cloud9:
The two on the left look like they are hanging on for dear life and losing!!!! LOL

hazelrunpack
April 14th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Oh, they're beautiful, rjesak! :flirt: And already looking so big! :cloud9:

otter
April 14th, 2010, 09:59 PM
What a wonderful happy post :cloud9:

You are a good person to make sure this momma and her kitties get started on a great life :highfive:

(insert happy dance here :D)

Dee-O-Gee
April 14th, 2010, 10:14 PM
How adorable and what a happy ending. :thumbs up

I love the little guy dead smack in the middle with his front legs reaching out! :lovestruck:

Thanks for the wonderful happy story rjesak! :thumbs up

rjesak
April 15th, 2010, 10:03 PM
They only look big because Mommy is tiny!! :rolleyes: They really are adorable though. I'm trying really hard not to look!! As much as I absolutely adore my cats, kittens are just irresistible and then suddenly you've got another cat. :laughing:

I was hoping to get more pictures today but I've just been swamped. The foster family is coming to pick them up on Saturday so I'll try to get some individual pix before then but I'm throwing a friend a birthday party tomorrow so I'm buried in cake batter and buttercream (not that I'm complaining:D). I promise to do my best to get some more pix before they go away. The foster father says I can come visit them but that may be asking too much of my willpower! :lovestruck:

Really, I'm very pleased that this cat found my deck to roost under - she could've ended up anywhere. I still have posters up in case an owner is looking for her. Is it just my cynicism that says they're not? :(

I'm feeling very fortunate - so many things could have gone wrong but they didn't. Mama cat went through the birth just fine and then was totally prepared to mother her babies. From what I was reading on line, that's often not the case. Thanks for all of your support - I would have been very nervous without this board. Oh wait, I was very nervous anyway... But way less so!!!

hazelrunpack
April 15th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Unfortunately, I think your cynicism is right. :( Which makes her good fortune to have found you that much more remarkable! :goodvibes:

I hope you can scrape off enough of the batter and buttercream to get some pics before they go. :D

14+kitties
April 15th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Kittens are cute but you are right. They grow up. I still think cats are cute too though. Good thing huh? :rolleyes:
Congrats on getting them into the foster home so quickly. With you being so busy you may be forgiven not getting more pics of the little family. May be. :rolleyes: :D

Tundra_Queen
April 15th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Oooooooo she is a grey and white momma!! My favorite!! And those kitties are adorable.

rjesak
April 19th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Sorry to disappear for so long and not to get any more pictures up. :o The foster papa promises to take some and send them to me to post. It was such a busy weekend - he came when I was home for about 30 minutes. He took mama cat and the kittens and I cried my eyes out. :( I told him to let me know if they're not getting adopted but he believes they've already found homes for most of the kittens. Two of them are definitely spoken for by a family he's worked with before - they've lost both their cats to cancer late last year and are thinking it's time to start getting joy from some new kittens. This kind of thing just makes me so happy... I'm so sorry for them that they lost their pets but I know they'll be a good family for these baby kittens! :cloud9:

Anyway, sorry for the severe lack of postage and inexcusable lack of pictures. :sorry: I still have a few singles that I took on my camera at home so I'll try to post them this evening.