Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat frozen ears

chloelia
April 11th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Hi! My cat got away in March in Quebec city and came back home earlier this month. The tip of her hears were frozen, it didn't seem to hurt, so I didn't consult a vetenarian. She's back for two weeks now and it seems that the necrosed tissue is falling off. There is a little or no blood and it doesn't seem painful to her. Should I just wait for the tissue to fall off? I surfed the Net for answers but didn't find anything useful for me. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim Hall
April 11th, 2010, 09:56 AM
ahh well a vet visit would be in order esp since she was out for a while

dollface
April 11th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Or at least a phone call to the vet since they don't charge for that...

catlover2
April 11th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Many years ago one of our cats got outside for about half an hour at -40F. Both his ears got badly frostbitten, swelled up initially and felt hot, but then they started curling backward, like an American Curl's. They didn't fall off, but I have seen cats where the ear tips became frozen and they ended up with little stubs of ears.

14+kitties
April 11th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Please take her to the vet so a professional can look at her ears. We are not able to tell you. They may look not painful to you but you can't tell how painful it is to your cat. They are very good at hiding pain.
One of these days I am going to write Petunia's story on here. It includes having frost bitten ears which have been amputated safely by a vet. She looks like a Scottish Fold now.
If a vet decides the ears should be trimmed back then s/he can do it much neater than nature can.

NoahGrey
April 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Please take her to the vet so a professional can look at her ears. We are not able to tell you. They may look not painful to you but you can't tell how painful it is to your cat. They are very good at hiding pain.

Well said. This cat needs to be seen my a vet. There is alot of misinformation on the internet. A professional needs to come to a conclusion. Not someone who claims to be one.

ACO22

Love4himies
April 11th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I agree with 14+, the ears should be seen by a vet to determine the degree of frostbite.

Good luck and keep us posted. :grouphug::goodvibes:

chloelia
April 11th, 2010, 06:31 PM
All right guys, I took an appointment to the vet for this week, I'll keep you posted!

Jim Hall
April 11th, 2010, 08:11 PM
ty and ty for your cat too

14+kitties
April 11th, 2010, 08:23 PM
All right guys, I took an appointment to the vet for this week, I'll keep you posted!

:thumbs up Thank you!

Love4himies
April 12th, 2010, 06:31 AM

So glad to hear :thumbs up, and thank you for keeping us posted.

chloelia
April 16th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Hi guys!
I went to the vet earlier this week and she told me that the tips of her ears would fall off by themselves. Of course, that is specific to my cat's situation, but the vet told me that unless the frosbite is very severe, they usually leave it alone and the tissue detached from the ear by itself, it's rare that ther surgically remove the frost bite.

My cat will look a little funny without the tip of her ears, but she'll be alright!

Tundra_Queen
April 17th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Did she get a full checkup seeing as she was missing for a month just to make sure she didn't pick up a parasite or something else harmful to her?

NoahGrey
April 17th, 2010, 06:53 AM
My cat will look a little funny without the tip of her ears, but she'll be alright!

And it adds character lol.

ACO22

14+kitties
April 17th, 2010, 07:29 AM
:thumbs up Don't you feel better just taking her in though? I sure would.